Quantcast

Forks

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
(For a fat guy! ((Though that's not necessarily why I'm posting this.)

So around here we have what's known as "Katapski Turns". Mr. Katapski, a local trail builder, likes to make you climb for a mile or better and at the top of the hill, he'll make a 90* (or sharper) turn directly up a fall line of either loose gravel or a solid rock slab that's ridiculously steep.

On typical East Coast Rox™ on flat and downhills, I'd ride the 36 Talas at 160 on the Remedy. On a long climb I was a lot more comfortable at 130. It just made it easier to balance the bike fore-and-aft. The 100mm setting was only used a handful of times a year when I'd come to a Katapski Turn.

Another reason why I loved the talas was the adjustments. I had 2 wrist jarring experiences on one ride. I got off and adjusted the LSC and the problem was solved. Each click of HSC, LSC and rebound makes a difference on that fork.

I'm now going to a 27.5 Devinci Spartan that comes with a RS Pike RC. I'd rather sell the brand new fork and get the most for it to put to a 36 talas again, but I've heard good about the Pike and Charger cart. Is it a great fork or should I sell it as new?

As far as the travel adjustment - I rode a Devinci Hendrix with a fixed fork (130 I think) and climbed a hill I usually can't that's somewhat steep and very rocky with a step up. I've also rode a Dentist Mach 6® with a 36 float on some intermediate short climbs with no rocks and wish I had the talas. I was tucked down on smooth switchbacks just trying to keep the front wheel down.

I'm leaning towards the 36 Talas, but after reading the other post about the newer 36's, it makes me wonder. Are the new forks ('16 '17 '18's) having these issues?

I'd get the RC2, not the fit 4.

Thanks

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
See if the shop will swap the Pike RC for a Pike RCT3 2-position. Ride height adjustable from 160 to 130, like the TALAS in the Pike with Charger damper.