Quantcast

Fort Williams 2018: The Lizard Rockgardening.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Taking a quick look at previous Fort William world cup race winners.

2017: Greg Minnaar
2016: Greg Minnaar
2015: Greg Minnaar
2014: Troy Brosnan
2013: Gee Atherton
2012: Aaron Gwin
2011: Greg Minnaar
2010: Gee Atherton
2009: Greg Minnaar
2008: Greg Minnaar
2007 World Champs: Sam Hill
2006: Sam Hill
2005: Steve Peat
2004: Greg Minnaar.

Pretty hard to justify a bet on anybody besides Minnaar.

Given how many people have put up seemingly incredible times only to have their hopes of a win be dashed by Minnaar, I think a more interesting question than "who will win" is "who will have their hopes and dreams crushed this year by Minnaar."

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Except this year, Gwin will come down last with Minnaar in the hot seat. He will give it everything to win. So, he crosses the line way too fast to pip the win but he can not stop. He flies over the barriers and lands face first into the chest of a podium girl. After a quick motorboat, he helps her up, turns to Minnaar, grins and says, "Too bad you are an ass guy!"

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Anyway, Hart won the BDS race on the weekend by a quite significant margin, so hopefully we'll see a close race that isn't decided on the motorway.
That's what Danny Hart does every year... Trains a ton at Ft. William, wins the local race there, and then ultimately blows up at the World Cup.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
That's what Danny Hart does every did last year... Trains a ton at Ft. William, wins the local race there, and then ultimately blows up at the World Cup.
He crashed last year in the OMG111!! wet woods!. Ironically he had been "training" there a lot in the week running up to the WC race and probably knew last years track better than anyone.
The previous year he also won the BDS but I don't think put in nearly as much pre-race practice in the run up to the WC and finished a pretty solid 3rd .
The year before that he didn't even race the BDS and finished 8th at the WC.
He's quite a quick guy. I wouldn't expect that to change too much whether he heads up to the Fort in the next week for some practice or not.

FWIW Danny doesn't really live anywhere near Ft William and has quite a few National/Regional DH tracks much closer to home to ride/train on.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
He crashed last year in the OMG111!! wet woods!. Ironically he had been "training" there a lot in the week running up to the WC race and probably knew last years track better than anyone.
The previous year he also won the BDS but I don't think put in nearly as much pre-race practice in the run up to the WC and finished a pretty solid 3rd .
He's quite a quick guy. I wouldn't expect that to change too much whether he heads up to the Fort in the next week for some practice or not.

FWIW Danny doesn't really live anywhere near Ft William and has quite a few National/Regional DH tracks much closer to home to ride/train on.
It's more fun to exaggerate the truth!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Do you have tea and kippers with Danny?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
You mean "kits"?

:D
Kits with colorways, that's right.

I was going through photos of races from the 90s and I'm not sure we're in a much better place with clothing. When it was straight-up moto gear in the late 90s I think we were all better off.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, fuck.

Plus side, that should make this race more exciting, somebody else will probably win.

Downside, seriously, shit.