Quantcast

Forx?!

sindri

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
Palo Alto, CA
:help: :help:

I'm putting together a Slayer but I'm a torn between the Shiver SC and the Fox Vanilla RLC.

Anyone know the skinny on stiffness (both fore/aft and laterally) and most important, has anyone logged a bunch of miles on either or both forks that can give feedback?

thanks!

:help: :help:

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
Ive Ridden on a RLC... but not a SHiver but there are some Pros and cons to the shiver and all pros for the fox.....

Shiver: Comes with a Dedicated 20mm Axel, its b*tch to change when out on a trail for freeride bike. But u can run pretty much any tire size cause there is no arch. Marzocchis have there own feel, they all feels so smooth. IT has ECC but is only 4". I have ecc and its Awesome, great for the climbs.

Fox: Ive Ridden about 20 min on one. When you get it, it comes perfect out of the box. Even though it hasnt been ridden yet it has a feel of a 3 month old fork thats been kept up by a pro... SMOOTH. The Adjusters Actually work. You dont have to turn one of them all the way to feel something change. One spin and u can tell a diffrence. Its Super stiff. DOnt think its as stiff as a Shiver since its no 20mm but its alot stiffer than my z1... heres the picture of the Fox....

Attachments

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
yo chris and others-

we got a Fox Forx Float 80 RL in the shop the other day... it's on a StumpJumper FSR somethingorother. I was ogling over it for a while and decided to take it down and play with the adjusters and such.

What I found was that there was no noticeable difference between megaFast rebound and megaSlow, and no noticeable lockout when the switch was flipped. the fork felt OK... i think there was ~40psi of air in there? i didn't set it up... our dorky XC geek asst. manager dude did. so i was wondering if anybody knew... what gives?

mtbtuc8700

Chimp
Nov 14, 2001
CT
You really can't go wrong with either fork, I think the Fox will be stiffer though. Best of luck choosing. Let me know what ya think of which ever one you get, because I am interest in both for my new ride I am building in the future.