Quantcast

foto monkeys...need advice

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
just started taking pictures. I got a canon eos400d for a nice price with the 18-55mm lens kit from canon. They seem ok but I would like to have some better lenses. Since I'm on a budget I'm considering a 50mm. I don't know which one to chose. My main two options are the EF 50mm f/1.8 or the almost 4 times more expensive EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. I've read many reviews and most of them describe the f/1.8 as having a cheap build and having a lousy bokeh. I don't really care about the bokeh that much since in the test pictures I've seen it rather gave the pictures a nice effect though I can imagine situations where this can be bad. Though my main concern is the cheap build of the f/1.8 described in the reviews. Does anyone has had any experience with any of these lenses and what would you recommend? If the f/1.8 won't last a few year I will rather wait and save some more cash and get the f/1.4. So what do you guys think?
thanks a lot in advance!

oh and here my flickr stuff so you decide if I'm worthy of a new lens...bare in mind I've only had the camera for a week now.:biggrin:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27706803@N08/

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
If it's worth buying from Canon, it's worth buying ultrasonic. The lenses that come with the kits are notoriously crappy..

Bokeh is a refuge of lenses that have a lousy in focus image. Your eye naturally pays less attention to the out of focus areas so it's only a very minor aesthetic point.

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
Yes, get the 50/1.4 USM. The 1.8 isn't just trash because of it's build quality.

L series lenses are great. But a 50mm from a good manufacturer is just as high quality and distortion free as an L lens.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'd recommend getting neither...save up get a copy of the sigma 30 f/1.4. if you buy used, *ensure* you are getting a copy that doesn't front- or back-focus. on a crop camera, this focal length is great, and the image quality is outstanding. it's pretty close to being on par w/ the $1200 canon EF 35mm f/1.4.

if you are sold on the 50, you could do what i did...get the cheapie, see how you like it, and if you want the extra 2/3 stop and better build quality (as well as more accurate focusing), get the f/1.4 version. you can always sell the plastic one for close to the price you paid for it.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
since you have an 18-55 zoom, leave it at one of the focal lengths you're looking at (50mm or 30mm, or whatever), and see if you can get used to having a prime lens as your only "real" lens. otherwise, there are several excellent walkaround zooms in that same price range. the Tamron 17-50mm and the Sigma 18-50mm macro are very good, and they're both a fixed f2.8. yes you give up some low-light indoor shooting with that, but since I got the Tamron I've hardly gone back to the 50mm 1.8.

prime's are a blast, though, and if I had the 30mm 1.4 I'd probably use it more than the 50mm due to focal length. 50mm is a bit "long" on a crop camera, at least for indoor use.

hope this helps...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say get the 1.8, or "Nifty Fifty" as it's called.

First off, it's only $80. if you are just getting into photography, why spend so much more on the 1.4 if you don't know if you are going to need/like/want it? Yes, the nifty is a crappy build quality, BUT, again, it's only $80. And I'm sure you can find it cheaper. I'm not one to usually say get a cheap lens, but I would definitely try out the Nifty Fifty before dropping so much coin on the 1.4.

(On a side note, I dropped my 50 1.8 :eek: when I was shooting a trials competition on some rocks. It broke straight in half, and I snapped it back together. The AF doesn't work so well on it now, but in Manual, it's still pretty great, especially since it was in 2 pieces for awhile!)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the tiny focusing ring on the 'thrifty' fifty ;) makes manually focusing a pain in the arse.

i am curious to see how well the new sigma 50 f/1.4 compares...if it's anything like the 30, they have a winner on their hands.

that lens (siggy 30) is dynamite. i was a bit sad to sell mine (and i bought it used...used it for almost two years, and sold it for about $75 less than i paid for it...talk about a great deal!)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have the 50/1.4. it's a fine lens. however, if you only have a body and a kit lens you shouldn't be splurging on the 1.4 until you have a better idea of what focal lengths you like to shoot at.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
(On a side note, I dropped my 50 1.8 :eek: when I was shooting a trials competition on some rocks. It broke straight in half, and I snapped it back together. The AF doesn't work so well on it now, but in Manual, it's still pretty great, especially since it was in 2 pieces for awhile!)
Thanks I really want a ducttapeable lens!
seriously: I will try using my current lens on the 50mm mode for as much as I can and see how I like it. I'm already bidding for one on ebay for $30 and on some L glass which I certainly will lose but who knows.:banana:
and thanks for all the advice...much better and clearer than all the blahblah from most serious reviews

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
www.keh.com You can buy used with confidence from them. Grading is fair and anything you don't like, send it back.

LL7, I think I promised you this link once and never delivered.

I like 50mm lenses for 35mm cameras, and 35mm lenses even more. But on a digi SLR, I think you're better off with the 35mm lens as a "normal," or even the 28mm.

Last edited:

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
Well I lost all my bids on ebay for L glass under $300 and now I'm looking for under 20mm primes and see what I can find. I tried some today at a shop and really liked them. In the mean time I found a CANON EF 35-135mm 1:4-5.6 USM in very good condition for $100 and I'm 40min away from getting it. Also found an obscure relative who results to be a pro photographer, let's see if he wants to talk to me...cheers to everyone for the great feedback.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
trying to find either a good condition 'L' lens for > $300 or an inexpensive prime under 20mm is going to be impossible.

i still suggest the sigma 30 f/1.4

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
trying to find either a good condition 'L' lens for > $300 or an inexpensive prime under 20mm is going to be impossible.

What he said.

Camera Lenses are one of the few things in this world that keep their value. (As long as they are in good condition, and sometimes when they are not)