Quantcast

Fox 20wt gold oil?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I've seen some articles about the new 36 talk about this gold oil used to lube the bushings. After a quick Google search, I wasn't able to find anything about it. Is this a new product?

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I use 10w-30 mobile 1 in my 40 and could not be happier.

i wouldnt mind gold in my lowers though! ;)
Mind educating me a bit on oil numbers? As I understand, the 10 is the oil viscosity when the engine is cold and the 30 is for when the engine is hot, right? So, how does this translate to bike use? I'm guessing the 10 is the more relevant number?

Final questions: is the Fox green 10wt oil just rebranded motor oil? If so, what motor oil viscosity numbers would it have?

Last edited:

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
New Gold 20wt oil for lower leg lubrication only (no damping like the green on O/B dampers), part number 025-03-010 available from Fox. I think it retails for $12 a quart.

Its not new per se, because Fox has been using it as factory oil on Float 40s for a while. It feels smoother and also more "tacky" than the Green.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
sorry, i am not qualified. nor do i know enough about it.. all those damn numbers and abbreviations hurt my head ;)

i was just told from someone that i trusted enough to put that certain m1 in the lowers (he also uses it in his 40).. its way cheaper and easier to get (versus the fox green stuff from the lbs), so it really seemed like a no brainer to me. although it was made very clear to me NOT to get the high mileage stuff. something along the lines of swelling the bushings up from the seal swelling additive.

12 bones isnt too bad. i believe my local shop wants 20-25 for a quart.. they also tried charging me 8-9 bones for a spesh tube once :eek:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
yes, i am. ive already dropped the lowers to verify everything was gravy a couple of months ago. im replacing my seal kit here in about 3-4 weeks and will verify stanchions/bushings again, although i am not worried. everything is working pretty darn good, which is good, because im still trying to figure out my rc4.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Mind educating me a bit on oil numbers? As I understand, the 10 is the oil viscosity when the engine is cold and the 30 is for when the engine is hot, right? So, how does this translate to bike use? I'm guessing the 10 is the more relevant number?

Final questions: is the Fox green 10wt oil just rebranded motor oil? If so, what motor oil viscosity numbers would it have?
Fox Green is a suspension fork oil, specifically formulated for Fox by Torco. It was designed to serve as a good open bath damping fluid while at the same time deliver good sliding/anti friction performance. With Fox stepping away from open bath dampers, it is logical they have now developed an oil that has the sole purpose of lower leg lubrication.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do you know the mfg of the new oil and its viscosity in cSt?

The bottle may be a giveaway if anyone has a photo, as the 'green' uses a Torco bottle, and the 'red' a Silkolene bottle as per their respective manufacturers.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
did some comparing at lunch time. according to this thead. here is the info for the green fluid:
@100C, cSt: 11.7
@40C, cSt: 47

here what what i am using in my fork (m1 10w-30, NON high mileage):
@100C, cSt: 10.1
@40C, cSt: 63.2

i read up about cSt (Kinematic Viscosity), the higher the number, the better 'fluids resistance to flow and shear under the forces of gravity'. correct?

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
wait. you're using engine motor oil for your suspension?
mfgers of forks with separate lubrication oil have been recommending mobil 1 for years (SRAM, Manitou) when you talk to them directly. I've been doing it for a decade no problem. obviously doesn't apply to open bath.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Do you know the mfg of the new oil and its viscosity in cSt?

The bottle may be a giveaway if anyone has a photo, as the 'green' uses a Torco bottle, and the 'red' a Silkolene bottle as per their respective manufacturers.
No I do not have the info yet... still waiting for the Fox distributor to import the oil for me.

Cant recognize the bottle, but here it is:

View attachment 115270

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
+1 on the motor oil.
Have been using Redline for years as lube in my RS forks.
Buddy of mine does the same.
Works a charm.

Aug 4, 2008
Smart people have been doing this since like forever. If you have a cartridge damper it is better to use motor oil for lubrication than suspension oil which is not as good at lubricating things.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I just received the 20wt GOLD.

98.90 cSt at 40°C and 13.6 cSt at 100°C. It says on the back it is mineral based and has molybdenum to reduce friction. Oh and btw, the amount of tackifiers on this oil is insane.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
so Im assuming I can put mobile 1 10-30 in my Fox 34 float ctd lowers as well? I was at an lbs the other day and they wanted 40 dollars for the fox oil.. ridiculous..

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
so Im assuming I can put mobile 1 10-30 in my Fox 34 float ctd lowers as well? I was at an lbs the other day and they wanted 40 dollars for the fox oil.. ridiculous..
I have tried 3 different oils. Belray 7wt fork oil, Mobil 1 10wt motor oil, and Fox green. Mobil 1 by far and away made the fork feel the worst. Won't cause any harm, and will work in a pinch(I think, don't quote me), but most definitely far from ideal. The Belray 7 actually felt pretty nice, but the Fox green is specially formulated for the job, and there is no off the shelf replacement. I would get Fox green. And why in the hell would you buy anything from the lbs? Get it off the internet for $20. I get it, $20 is still expensive, but why not get the right product for the job?

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
I have tried 3 different oils. Belray 7wt fork oil, Mobil 1 10wt motor oil, and Fox green. Mobil 1 by far and away made the fork feel the worst. Won't cause any harm, and will work in a pinch(I think, don't quote me), but most definitely far from ideal. The Belray 7 actually felt pretty nice, but the Fox green is specially formulated for the job, and there is no off the shelf replacement. I would get Fox green. And why in the hell would you buy anything from the lbs? Get it off the internet for $20. I get it, $20 is still expensive, but why not get the right product for the job?
Ah, thank you for this info. I will wait and get the fox green then. I do have some belray 10 and 15, but might as well get the good stuff. I will order the fox green and shimano mineral oil together and save a fortune from what the lbs wants..

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Ah, thank you for this info. I will wait and get the fox green then. I do have some belray 10 and 15, but might as well get the good stuff. I will order the fox green and shimano mineral oil together and save a fortune from what the lbs wants..
You can find oil with similar cSt to the Fox green, but there is no regulation on lubricity. The Fox green has additives to make it specifically well at lubricating the stanchions, it is definitely the best thing for the job. This new Fox gold, Fox seems to be saying its better but in the real world who knows. Fox green is definitely the way to go, I use it in both my 40 and my Rockshox Lyrik. Damper oil, that is a different story. Fox green is not formulated in a way that makes it an ideal damper oil. Only use it for the bath oil in the lowers.

And definitely never buy anything from the bike shop unless you want to get gouged. I won't even walk in that god forsaken place unless its an absolute necessity.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
sooo, why do they have two different oils formulated specifically for bath lubrication? what is the advantage of this stuff over the green?

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
so, do you know if the green fluid will eventually be phased out then? or is fox still making/selling forks with OB carts. in them? (maybe low level OEM bikes...?)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Sooooooooo.....

Did we ever figure out a good substitute for the 20wt gold? I sifted through a few threads but didn't find the answer. I've got some on order but it wont be here in time for my N* trip this weekend.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Sooooooooo.....

Did we ever figure out a good substitute for the 20wt gold? I sifted through a few threads but didn't find the answer. I've got some on order but it wont be here in time for my N* trip this weekend.
It's a proprietary oil with a lot of tackifiers added, so it's hard to find an exact match but plenty of other oils will do the job. Generally cheaper mineral-based oils have better sliding performance, I find Motul "Expert" 15wt works very well and is quite cheap. In a pinch, a mineral-based 10w40 or 15w40 engine oil will be fine too - a particular one that I know works quite well is the Shell Helix HX-5 15w40 here.

Edit @rockofullr:
My best guess for the US equivalent would be Pennzoil 10w40 or Rotella T4 15w40.

Just swap the Gold in later when it comes.
Hope that's of use.

Last edited:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
It's a proprietary oil with a lot of tackifiers added, so it's hard to find an exact match but plenty of other oils will do the job. Generally cheaper mineral-based oils have better sliding performance, I find Motul "Expert" 15wt works very well and is quite cheap. In a pinch, a mineral-based 15w40 engine oil will be fine too - a particular one that I know works quite well is the Shell Helix HX-5 15w40 here, but I'm not sure what the US equivalent is - my best guess is the Shell Rotella "T4" 15w40. It should be dirt cheap in a quart bottle and easy to find.

Just swap the Gold in later when it comes.
Hope that's of use.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Just made some calls and that Motul stuff is gonna be hard to find. I assume I am better off with the mineral based 15w40 than Bel Ray fork oil. The SDS sheet on the Bel Ray oil seems to indicate that it is petroleum based.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Here in Sweden I heard some people complain that the gold oil becomes too sticky when used below 5 degrees Celsius (= around 40 degrees Fahrenheit). I just started using it from this spring but maybe you guys have some experience to share?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@rockofullr
Yeah just try the mineral 15w40, let us know how it goes.

@Happymtb.fr
Try Motul Expert 10wt if you have problems with cold temps, I've used it myself with success. I think what they claim is entirely possible, especially since mineral oil bases are less temperature stable. I found under cold temperatures in Europe suspension would become sticky regardless of oil though until it warmed up over a run, maybe the 20w Gold is a bit worse and you could use it only in less cold seasons if you think it's a concern.