Quantcast

Fox 36 Float Helpz

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My Fox 36 feels like dog doodoo in certain situations.

1. When lifting the front end over logs and such, it feels like it tops out almost. Its not harsh and doesn't happen all the time, but i definitely notice it more than I like.

2. If I use my front brake over chattery stuff, roots or in some tight turns, it feels like the fork just clunks through the travel. This feels really bad and happens all the time. Its unnerving because it feels like I'm losing traction when I need it the most.

When I'm not using the front brake and just charging to my ability, it feels fine.

Note: I had the Fork fully serviced by Fox Canada (or whoever) over the winter. It did the top out thing before it was serviced as well. I can't remember if it felt like #2 before, but it was definitely suffering from the stiffyharsh syndrome mentioned in another thread from time to time.

Right now I think there is 93ish psi in the fork, both compression settings are about midway (high speed might be a little less) and rebound is 5 or 6 clicks in from open.

One other thing I noticed today and probably due to setup from being rebuilt, I went down this one steep trail with my brakes on. I had to go slow as there was downed trees everywhere. Its the type of steep that once you start going, you pretty much have to commit. Going that slow and braking, the fork was sitting down like 3/4 of the way in the travel....way too much. Does that need more low speed compression?

halp.

I have a Pike at 150mm that I can put back on the bike, which "works". But I really don't like the 3 position compression setting....

Any suggestions? Am I running too much air? I experimented with less psi last summer, but if I recall correctly, I couldn't get the damn thing to stop brake diving like crazy.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
1. slow rebound another click or three?
2. too much LSC? are the bushings in good condition?
c. moar speed pull up?

assuming the fork is set-up well for you.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
1. slow rebound another click or three?
2. too much LSC? are the bushings in good condition?
c. moar speed pull up?

assuming the fork is set-up well for you.

I tried it now with moar rebound and less lsc. Same thing. Took it down a longer “downhill” trail today and it got harsh as fack at the bottom, again.

I’m thinking about just aborting this fork and putting the pike back on...

I’ve only really ridden the fork 2-3 times since it was rebuilt in the winter. Maybe I should see if where is a warranty or something on the service, because it is clearly still not functioning correctly.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@Nick its the RC2 damper, of the 2015ish variety.

I'll try the rebound fully closed on my next ride. Maybe its the bushings like you mentioned before?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've had bad bushings before and it's pretty apparent, so I'm guessing not those. If you want to verify, stick a finger between the stanchion and the fork arch, hold the front brake, and rock the bike back and forth. If you can feel it squishing your finger pretty good, the bushings are bad.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I tried the finger in the stantion method and could only feel the slightest of wiggle rocking the bike back and forth.

But man, last night this fork was absolutely horrendous. Every root, ever turn it just harshly moved through the travel. I tried less compression damping, moar compression damping and dialed in even more rebound.

The one thing I haven't tried is letting a bunch of air out. I'm 220+ pounds though, so I can't go too far before the thing nose dives. Also should note that the bike spent literally all day baking in the sun yesterday; could the air pressure in side the fork have risen?

I'm still pretty sure that I'm going to swap the Pike back on, even if only for two weeks to get me through the trip the PA next week. At least it'll give me a little more confidence in the choppy corners...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Vorsprung makes piston with the right dimensions and tolerances for the Fox forks. The larger negative chamber can also be good to you

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sounds like bushings to me, aside from the top out. Back when I had boxxerz, The fork felt like it had boat loads of LSC, turns out it just couldn't move because fuck bushings, amirite? That would explain the difference between brakes on and brakes off.