Quantcast

fox 40....bad bad sounds...

Apr 29, 2008
Maryland
I was recently taking apart my bike for shipping and I noticed some serious noise from fox 40 rc2. When everything was removed from the fork, the brake, the adapter, stem, everything... i was holding it in my hands and it make a loud knocking sound. It occurs mostly when you shake the fort up or down, or side to side. (sounds like something is most definately loose in the lowers)

so... I called fox to see what was up and after 5 minutes of horrible customer service, all I could get out of the conversation was to remove my top cap and see if anything was "weird", in fox's terms. After checking, nothing was "weird", but the fork made the same horrible noise.

Has anyone experienced or seen anything like this? I am a mechanic at a bike shop and have never heard anything this loud in any fork, exspecially in one such as this that costs quite a pretty penny. Any thoughts, ideas, or questions would be awesome!

hmcleay

i-track suspension
Apr 28, 2008
Adelaide, Australia
take the forks apart slowly, piece by piece.
constantly check whether they are still rattling.
once they stop making noise, then you should be able to identify which assembly the noise was coming from.
investigate that assembly further.

you may also check whether your LSC/HSC and rebound controls are operating correctly. If they aren't then that's a sign that there's something wrong in the damper.

have you had any of your 'friends' service your forks?
Sometimes 'friends' think it's funny to put a loose ball bearing in bike parts!