Quantcast

Fox 40 vs 888 ATA WC?

Nov 16, 2007
I'm debating on which fork to go with(current model year)...
I'll be riding everything on the mtn, DH rock gardens, shutes, etc to FR jumps, drops, etc.
The build will be built upon a new Socom with a lighter but reliable focus: Hadley/Mavic 729's, Gravity Light crank & bars, Hayes, E13 LG1, etc etc

Pro's & Con's for each fork?
Weight difference?
Reliability/functionality?
Anything and everything you can tell me about each is appreciated

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
i own a 888 ATA WC on my DH bike and it works realy well,the ATA WC is the ligthest DC fork from Marzocchi in there 888 line up,picked mine up between Februari-March and i havn't got any problems so far,The adjustments are easy and good to setup.

pro's
easy to tune
lot's off adjustments
realy ligth for a 888 fork
excellent for DH racing
butter smooth
Nickel Stantions
strong

Cons:
Grafhic's
compression knob broke off after a hitting a big rock.

The Reliability/functionality on that fork is great like all marzocchi DH/FR forks,i head a view hard crashes but it doesn't harm the functionality off the system,it's a solid and strong fork that can take a beat.

ciszewski

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Brockville
I dont own either of these forks but I can tell you that the Fox 40 is lighter weighing 6.83lbs. than the 888 ata which weighs 6.94lbs. This does not matter that much and I will doubt that you will feel the difference. My suggestion would to be go ride a couple of your friends bikes with these forks or go demo them, it'll just come down to personal preference. The marzocchi also seems to be the favorite for reliability.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
I have the setup you are thinking about: Socom w/ 888 ATA. Historically, I have preferred 888s(coils). This is my first DH air fork. Worked great for a couple of months, then I blew up the seals in the ATA chamber. The two chambers equalized, then and it rode like poo-poo. Got on the horn with Zoke, they sent me out a lot of seals & a couple of tethers (I have the 55 ATA as well, so I stocked up) and I got down and dirty with the ATA system. Now, its money again. Overall... I think the setup rides/RACES fantastic.

The ATA is NOT a set it and forget it fork, though. My RC2X felt consistent forever without any adjustments. The ATA.... I check the pressures pretty much everyday that I ride it. Not the end of the world, and it is a 'race' fork, but if you are not on top of it, you might have a bad day here and there.

All in all.... I like.

-- I am going to put together an ATA/PAR service writeup with photos. It is a pretty simple task.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
hands down fox 40.

rebuilt mine ONCE in a whole year. so its very dependable. its burly and acts like a moto fork which i like for out here in the east coast, eating up big rocks.

a friend of mine just switched from the ata to a 40 and he said its amazingly better.

but to each their own. and what do i know im just a racer.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
LOL few people will throw soggy bananas at me for this but have you considered Boxxer Teams?? Easily performs or out performs these other forks, and easy to service!!

I say teams because they do ride nicer than air, and i just know and have met countless people that have had problems with air.. Oh u will get a few on here who will sell there grandmother to you to make you believe their air is the best...(but most likely there not very good riders..shhhhh don't tell them)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
love my 888 ata wc. just did a week in whistler with it and it was awesome. i liked being able to dial the travel down on the fly. i found that for some runs, i wanted to have a 7" fork to lower the ride height and help with turning, and with a few turns of the adjustor knob, i did. the fork is plush and stiff. haven't had it long enough to have any maintenance issues with it or comment on long-term durability.

i do like having the PAR chamber so you can set the pressure low (60psi for me at 195lbs w gear) to keep it plush, then have the PAR set higher (150psi) to keep the fork from bottoming out. you can play with the settings until you find the right blend of initial-stroke and end-stroke spring rates.

tomacdaddy, how often are you checking your pressure? i have gone for weeks between checking mine and never noticed any bleed-out of pressure.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
tomacdaddy, how often are you checking your pressure? i have gone for weeks between checking mine and never noticed any bleed-out of pressure.
I check my pressure almost every day I am on the bike. It has been solid and pressures stay consistent now, just like to make sure.