Quantcast

Fox DH Fork

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Everything about that fork seems awesome, well minus the looks, except one thing. I checked out this fork over the weekend, and it is absolutely huge. I don't see any possible way that they can get that sucker anywhere near under 7 pounds.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Everything about that fork seems awesome, well minus the looks, except one thing. I checked out this fork over the weekend, and it is absolutely huge. I don't see any possible way that they can get that sucker anywhere near under 7 pounds.
The press release said under 7 pounds, but there were several people who mentioned that the production version was going to be >7lbs.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by binary visions
The press release said under 7 pounds, but there were several people who mentioned that the production version was going to be >7lbs.
Yeah, I would not complain about it.
If they can just keep that sucker under 8, and if its super stiff and works well then people will be lining up for them.
Too bad its the ugliest fork that I have seen since the mango Cannondale freeride fork.;)
But I am sure the production ones will be better.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Ok, I guess I must've missed the other thread. Well, many topics are discussed over and over again anyway. Anyway, I thought 40mm uppers are a bit too much but I haven't seen the fork personally. The 888 with 35mm upper already looks beefy enough to me. Is 40mm about the size of the Monster T?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Jeremy R
Yeah, I would not complain about it.
If they can just keep that sucker under 8, and if its super stiff and works well then people will be lining up for them.
Too bad its the ugliest fork that I have seen since the mango Cannondale freeride fork.;)
But I am sure the production ones will be better.
It is spectacularly ugly. A nice matte black finish would hide a lot of the ugliness, plus, black is slimming ;)

It's awesome that they're making them 6-8" easily adjustable, though rather than having to do a frickin' cartridge swap like the 888's (though I realize it's not intended to be an "adjustable" fork).

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
"Did I say 7 lbs? OOOOOH, I meant DRY weight, sorry!"

But seriously, I'm interested to see...the adjustable travel alone means this could be a huge seller to many consumers. I mean, it could go on a 6" RFX or a raced-out DHR or a huge-huck Demo 9...

MD

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i am going to say it right now, you cant beat that fork...no company on the market can touch it as far as rigidity/weight/travel quality. These are of course assumptions based on their single crown forks which have the best quality travel i have ever felt. I will def be riding one of these. lets just hope they are black or something...

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by manhattanprjkt83
i am going to say it right now, you cant beat that fork...no company on the market can touch it as far as rigidity/weight/travel quality. These are of course assumptions based on their single crown forks which have the best quality travel i have ever felt.
With the heaviest, 240+ springs (I'm about 240) I blow right through all the travel on a Fox. Not exactly quality travel IMO. Marzocchi is still the only fork I've ridden that actually feels like it has real damping. I've only bounced on an Avy fork once and it surely wasn't set up for me so I can't comment there although it sounds like they use real damping too, but Manitou, RockShox, Fox and WhiteBros all feel like springs with no control.

That said, I also am a huge fan of the adjustable travel on the Fox DH fork. It just makes the purchase much more worth it. I could run it at 6" on my RFX and in the future switch to 7.5" or even the full 8" on the Highline. And as my '01 Monster was the stiffest thing I've still ever been on the 40mm platform should prove to be a winner.

Now, Fox can dump the Vanilla coil fork line, keep the 32mm platform for the Talas/Float/FX line and create a 35mm platform with 20mm axle for 4-6" coil single crown forks weighing 5-5.5 pounds. Can I be a product designer yet?! Really, what's so hard about it?! :devil:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Originally posted by Bulldog
With the heaviest, 240+ springs (I'm about 240) I blow right through all the travel on a Fox. Not exactly quality travel IMO. Marzocchi is still the only fork I've ridden that actually feels like it has real damping.
I have to agree with you here. I have a Vanilla 125RLC on my 5-spot, and while it is a nice fork that soaks up the bumps, the damping does not even come close to that of the 888.
If you set the Fox up where it will soak up the small bumps, it will blow through the travel on bigger hits. Don't get me wrong, it still works very well, but if does not have anything on Zokes in the high speed damping dept.
I don't think this has always been the case with Marzocchi though. I had a 01 Z1 that always felt too active and too soft in the first 2 inches of its travel, no matter how I tuned it. I could have enough oil in it where it would not use all its travel, and it would still dive in the first 2 inches of its travel.
But the newer forks like the 888 and the Z1FR just ride awesome.
To me, they never feel overly plush, they just soak up whatever you throw at them and keep on truckin'! :D