Quantcast

Fox Proframe helmet for DH?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Just got mine in the mail. Fits way nicer than the bell super 2r MIPS and has much less of a MIPS "sitting on top of your head" look. Not as comfy as my A1 or Bell full 9 DH lid. Comes with three sets of cheek pads, and some other shit for the head pads, which made it fit right for me.
The chin bar is actually quite thick with softish material on the inside. Chinbar seems more robust than it looks in pictures.
I climb without a helmet most of the time, so this will be a nice bit of added protection where I'd normally have my open face. Exactly what I expected.
Oh and the magnetic closure is freakin sweet!

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Just got mine in the mail. Fits way nicer than the bell super 2r MIPS and has much less of a MIPS "sitting on top of your head" look. Not as comfy as my A1 or Bell full 9 DH lid. Comes with three sets of cheek pads, and some other shit for the head pads, which made it fit right for me.
The chin bar is actually quite thick with softish material on the inside. Chinbar seems more robust than it looks in pictures.
I climb without a helmet most of the time, so this will be a nice bit of added protection where I'd normally have my open face. Exactly what I expected.
Oh and the magnetic closure is freakin sweet!

Sweet

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I like the idea of different cheek pads , that is the area that was too tight on my face with the Fox DH lids

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
OK, found it. It was in Freeride Mag 2/16.
Test was conducted after EN 1078 for bike helmets (upper part of helmet) and they used a test procedure similar to the motorcycle chin bar test ECE 22 but reduced the velocity to 16.5 km/h to adopt it for slower bike speeds.

Number given are g-forces transmitted to the head after a flat hit (EN 1078)/a hit with an edgy object (EN 1078)/hit to the chin bar (modified ECE 22). Forces should never exceed 250 g.

Alpina King Carapax: 186/106/302
Bell Super 2R Joyride: 195/103/211
Cratoni C-Maniac: 187/101/474
MET Parachute: 162/134/99
Urge Archi Enduro Veggie: 209/107/248
Uvex Jakkyl hde: 142/96/147

To compare these numbers they also tested full on DH helmets. Here the hit on the chin bar was done at full velocity required by ECE 22.

Troy Lee D3: 218/99/46
Specialized Dissident: 193/80/65

So only the MET gets somewhere close to the numbers of a full on DH helmet for the chin bar.
The numbers for the flat and edgy object hits on the top part of D3 and Dissident are fairly high because they also need to pass the motorcycle standard with higher velocities. Here most, if not all of the bicycle helmets would fail.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Ordered one -

• Very light, but pretty thick. It seems more robust then the Specialized Deviant I had a few years ago. Based on ASTM 1952 cert I'd trust it for my version of DH - lots of natural terrain, no massive gap jumps.
  • Lots of pads to adjust fit
  • Rubberization on the inside of the chin bar isn't enough padding. Based on the way the helmet fits it moves fore-aft far more then my D2. I could see getting a broken jaw from having the chin bar smack you.
  • MIPS liner rubs on my forehead no matter how low I run the brow pad over it (it just pushes up). In a crash that thing could be like a razor blade and do some Hellraiser shit to your face.

Based on the last two points I'm returning it.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Ordered one -

• Very light, but pretty thick. It seems more robust then the Specialized Deviant I had a few years ago. Based on ASTM 1952 cert I'd trust it for my version of DH - lots of natural terrain, no massive gap jumps.
  • Lots of pads to adjust fit
  • Rubberization on the inside of the chin bar isn't enough padding. Based on the way the helmet fits it moves fore-aft far more then my D2. I could see getting a broken jaw from having the chin bar smack you.
  • MIPS liner rubs on my forehead no matter how low I run the brow pad over it (it just pushes up). In a crash that thing could be like a razor blade and do some Hellraiser shit to your face.

Based on the last two points I'm returning it.
your credit card must be smoking.

I have crashed against the chinbar multiple times. That's why I got rid of my last helmet. I have never hit the inside of the chinbar though- the fit of the helmet itself, between the forehead and cheek pads, plus the chin strap, keep my taco port from hitting anything, even though the mouthpiece was filled with dirt. Have you or has anybody else experienced a crash where their kisser kissed the bar?

Is it available without MIPS? I hate that sh*t.
i agree. After trying mips/non-mips helmets, I don't get it. In a pure, high speed, multi impact crash, I can see how it would help, but in everything else it seems like it would cause issues (fit, chafing, weight, etc). Is MIPS a gimmick?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
your credit card must be smoking.

I have crashed against the chinbar multiple times. That's why I got rid of my last helmet. I have never hit the inside of the chinbar though- the fit of the helmet itself, between the forehead and cheek pads, plus the chin strap, keep my taco port from hitting anything, even though the mouthpiece was filled with dirt. Have you or has anybody else experienced a crash where their kisser kissed the bar?

i agree. After trying mips/non-mips helmets, I don't get it. In a pure, high speed, multi impact crash, I can see how it would help, but in everything else it seems like it would cause issues (fit, chafing, weight, etc). Is MIPS a gimmick?
I've never had a bad impact against the inside of the chin bar, but I've never had a helmet that moves this far fore aft even with all the pad sizes optimized and the chinstrap cinched down.

On the MIPs, I think it all depends on the implementation. I don't notice it at all in my enduro-matic 2, but it was annoying as shit in the proframe.

...and it's tax refund/REI dividend season :D

Last edited:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I have beaked dirt lots of times with all my full face lids , no impacts to my chin yet , I also don,t wear helmets that are stupidly close to the face like the stuff from Bell seems to fit on me .

I thank you for sharing your thoughts on the fit and such . I will have to check one in person as well as the latest Urge version they released last season , similar look but way more vents than my lid .

MIP,s not a fan , same with helmets with a dial to adjust the fit , give me pads I can swap around an fit for my comfort after all I am the one wearing it !!!.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am sure the owner of this Switchblade feels good about the ASTM 1952 certification. :think:

Wow a helmet named switchblade that took someone's face off. That's gotta be a first.

What's this world coming to? Next thing you know people will start realizing fanny packs look stupid, bounce around too much and pull down your britches. For the first time ever.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Don't fanny packs usually come attached to a belt?
Don't britches generally have belt loops?
and don't belts threaded through those belt loops miraculously help to hold britches UP?

#Science

or does Woo still think he's gangsta as fuck by not wearing a belt?

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Don't fanny packs usually come attached to a belt?
Don't britches generally have belt loops?
and don't belts threaded through those belt loops miraculously help to hold britches UP?

#Science

or does Woo still think he's gangsta as fuck by not wearing a belt?

Is this where the new Motocross helmets having progressive layering of the shell, rotational management of the shell, and adaptive fit get mentioned?

Or are half naked men a thing now?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's this world coming to? Next thing you know people will start realizing fanny packs look stupid, bounce around too much and pull down your britches. For the first time ever.
If they're pulling your britches down, I'm pretty sure you're doing it wrong.

I obviously have no rebuttal to the looking stupid thing though. That's inarguable.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
Just got proframe. It is stupid light and seems like it would breathe really well. Cheek pads are basically worthless though. Helmet rotates up and down and fore and aft way too much, evenwith the thick pads that are way too small. The cheek pads i think are just way too small to prevent movement. Im returning it.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
A buddy uses the Met and seems to like it a lot , he,s also more of a XC guy:pilot: and had a bad fall last season . He starting using one after watching his Gopro vid of him moaning and groaning on the ground for over 20min .

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just got a Leatt 5.0 V12 in the mail. 1095 grams on my scale for a medium, 2 grams heavier than my D2 but with much better ventilation. Seems really well made. Cheek pads are thick for a snug fit but not so tight that it's uncomfortable. It's a tight fit getting it on/off over my ears - and my ears don't stick out, but once it's on it's comfortable. As a bonus I can hear much better in it then I can in my D2. I have an IXS Xult coming in a couple of days as well to compare it against, but I'd be fine keeping the Leatt if it fits better than the IXS.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Got the Xult in. M/L - 1089 grams on my scale. Much easier to get on/off than the Leatt, similar comfort level. Comes with extra cheek pads to taylor fit, Leatt doesn't. Build quality is good, but not at the same level as the Leatt. Airflow to the face is better on the Xult due to a larger face opening and bigger vents on the chin bar. Airflow to the back/top of the head is better on the Leatt due to the Xult having the liner and mesh between your head and the vents while theres no liner or mesh to block the vents on the Leatt. Both have some form of anti-rotation technology - the Leatt has these rubber grommets at the contact points with your head that supposedly allow some rotational movement; you don't feel them contact your head, and if your head was impacting the helmet hard I think you'd have too much friction with the rest of the EPS for the grommets to do much. The Xult basically has some rubber layers between the EPS and shell in some sections - but not all; seems a little gimmicky but who knows. Both have emergency release cheek pads. Both offer a lot more ventilation then my D2, but not at the same level as the Proframe.