Quantcast

Fox Transfer Early Impressions

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I just picked up a Fox Transfer, and figured I'd offer op some thoughts on it, since I hadn't seen much discussion on here. I've only got two rides on it so far, so I have nothing to say as far as long term durability goes, but I'll provide updates as I go.

I've been solidly pro-Thomson dropper for years now, and still own two. I've tried a few other things, but ruled them out for various reasons, with the other two I actually owned being the Reverb (shitty lever ergonomics) and the Lev (basically everything). My Thomson posts are 3 and 4 years old now, and have both needed a rebuild at around the 2 year mark, manifested by gradually decreasing return speeds, ultimately reaching the point where they didn't return through the last ~10mm of travel. I'd call a 2 year service interval on a dropper quite good though, and they've otherwise been fantastic. That said, I wanted to move to a 150mm travel post on my Megatrail, and took the opportunity to give the Fox a whirl. Thomson actually does make a 150mm post now, but seeing as they run nearly double what I paid for the Fox, I decided to see if I could get the job done for less.

Overall the fit and finish on the post is quite good, but it does have a little bit of side to side play in the seat. I don't think it's more than the average dropper, and I can't really feel it while riding, but both of my Thomsons are still completely rock solid with no play whatsoever, so by comparison it's a little disappointing. The one other thing that bears mentioning is that the cable attachment point on the internally routed post feels kind of flimsy. It's protected in the seat tube, so it's probably not a big deal, but I could definitely see it getting damaged if you dropped the post during installation. The Thomson part is much more robust (and replaceable, unlike the Fox).

Return speed on the Fox is a bit on the slow side. It's not as if I feel like I'm waiting ages for the post to come back up or anything, but it's definitely slower than average, and I'm finding it a little harder to get the post to stop at the right point mid-travel if I want to just raise it half way. A lot of that probably is just that I'm used to the faster Thomson return speed after years of just riding them, so time will tell if I get used to it.

The Fox also tops and bottoms out with a very audible clunk. This is again a departure from the Thomson, but I'm kind of it to it because there's no ambiguity whatsoever as to whether or not you've reached limit. Sometimes with the Thomson I'd actually let go of the lever a little early and now lower it all the way if I got caught off guard and tried to lower the post in a hurry, because there wasn't much feedback to let you know it was all the way down.

I like that the Fox (and Thomson Covert) run the cable with the head at the seatpost end, because it makes sizing the cable way easier for an internally routed post. The external Thomson routes the cable the other way, which does have the advantage of making it easier to use a modified shifter as a lever, and isn't an issue with the cable clamp at the seatpost head. One of my (many) complaints with the Lev is that getting the cable length just so, especially on the Integra version, is a lengthy exercise in trial and error. Also, the Fox seat clamp is a solid two bolt design, more or less indistinguishable from the tried and true Thomson. This is a good thing.

I've got the 1x style lever on it, and have actually been using that for a while, previously on a Thomson Covert. It works fine, but the lever sits further out from the bar than I'd like, so reaching back for it requires a bit more thumb movement than would be ideal. It's still way better than a Reverb or the front shifter compatible KS lever, but there's room for improvement. The cable routing from the lever also kind of sucks. Rather than sending the cable parallel to the bar, it comes forward at roughly a 45 degree angle, which makes a big ass, pointless loop of cable on the front of the bike. I cut a little section of V brake noodle to put between the lever and the housing to take care of that bend, which works pretty well, but it's annoying to have to resort to those kinds of shenanigans.

Overall, the post seems really good, and thus far I'd say its the best thing I've tried this side of a Thomson, and at a much better price. As long as it holds up, it seems like a winner.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I've done a couple hundred miles on mine. The post is solid, the remote is not - in fact it is an overpriced flimsy piece of crap. We're lucky there are other aftermarket remotes that fix this weakness.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I've gotten a few rides on my new Transfer and it seems to work well. The rides were in the high 20Fs though, so the action was a bit slow, but nothing that made me feel like it wasn't working well.

Not light though, about 100g heavier than my blacklite command post, for about 650g total for the remote, 150 drop 30.9 post, and hardware.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mine has been great.
I like the thunk at top out.
Saddle wiggle annoying but not when riding.
No complaints about lever action, shape or durability.
Basically dead reliable, easy to set up solid product in a category of shit.
Much better than. The Joplin, reverb and levs I've owned previously.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Strange you didn't like the LEV. I had the luck of the 'woo with mine. It was great. 1 service in 3.5 years.

I'm hesitant to sing praises for any product until it has performed, by which time it is "obsolete".

I was all set to give my Turbine the thumbs up after 3 months of perfect performance, then it started letting the seat creep back up. Putting more slack into the cable fixed the problem. Unfortunately this required replacing the cable...

I'm surprised to hear that the Fox post has seat wiggle. While i agree it is not noticeable while riding (my LEV did the same towards the end), my Turbine has NONE.

The main benefit it felt while moving the bike around, mounting it on the hitch rack, etc... just feels nice.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My beef with the Lev wasn't so much reliability, where it did okay, but in a lot of the little design details. Things that I think suck:

• The extra pivot in the seat clamp is stupid. It's basically relying on tension in the two bolts to stop the seat from rocking side to side, which they can't do particularly well because the plane that the two bolts lie in is perpendicular to this particular axis of rotation. Mine never stopped creaking.
  • The spherical nuts on the seat clamp bolts are bullshit. Relying on friction to keep them from turning is a terrible idea. I had to use pliers on mine at least once to get the bolt out. Once you've loosened them enough that there's no tension in the bolt they just spin.
  • The cable clamp uses a set screw right at the end of the cable, which completely mangles it, and requires that you get the cable length exactly right. Other droppers use a set screw (which I still don't love) but at least they don't do it right at the end of the cable.
  • The secondary cable setup in the externally routed one is a huge pain in the ass to set up, and frays and breaks. Granted, this isn't an issue with the Integra.
  • Both levers suck. The stock one is terrible ergonomically, and the Southpaw is a flimsy POS. The weird split clamp that lets you rotate the lever just slips and flexes.
Maybe they've fixed some of this stuff by now, I last owned one a few years ago.

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Your experience with the Thomson dropper is exactly the same as mine, and I feel the same way about the Reverb remote.

I'm looking at new frames which mostly come in a 31.6 diameter, plus I want a 150mm drop, so the Transfer has been on my radar. Keep us posted how it does.

And check out the Wolftooth remote, it's pretty damn nice. Lighter action that requires more travel than the Southpaw or stock Thomson remotes, but great ergonomics.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
And check out the Wolftooth remote, it's pretty damn nice. Lighter action that requires more travel than the Southpaw or stock Thomson remotes, but great ergonomics.
Yeah, those came out like a week after I bought the Fox lever for my Thomson. I would have gone with that instead if they were an option at the time. I'm happy enough with the Fox to not bother paying another $65 to go to one of those, but I agree that they look like a better option.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
good review hab, thanks for sharing. these 2 droppers (thomson and fox) comprise my short list for when my joplin inevitably gives up the ghost. sounds like the thomson is the more refined of the two, but the fox certainly has the better price. based on your current impressions of the fox, do you feel the thomson is worth the extra money?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
good review hab, thanks for sharing. these 2 droppers (thomson and fox) comprise my short list for when my joplin inevitably gives up the ghost. sounds like the thomson is the more refined of the two, but the fox certainly has the better price. based on your current impressions of the fox, do you feel the thomson is worth the extra money?
That's going to depend on how it holds up. If the Fox service intervals are close to the Thomson, I'd definitely say its the better buy. The Thomson has proven to be really solid for me, so it might still be worth it if the Fox doesn't last as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's going to depend on how it holds up. If the Fox service intervals are close to the Thomson, I'd definitely say its the better buy. The Thomson has proven to be really solid for me, so it might still be worth it if the Fox doesn't last as well.
gotcha. i know the longevity subject is still TBD based on how new these posts are, but the last fox dropper was know to be very reliable

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
I've had the Transfer in the Performance (not Kashima...) flavor for about 3-4 months. I bought it right when it was released to replace a Reverb as I was tired of bleeding the thing constantly. The Transfer has been great so far, but a couple things of note:

• I returned my first Transfer for warranty due to fore and aft rocking at the seal. This was likely due to a mis sized bushing, but it was annoying and the post made an audible rattle if coasting while standing on the bike, with the saddle at full extension. Fox was great about warranty, and it didn't affect performance, but something worth noting. My new post developed a similar issue, but the rattle is hardly audible and it doesn't bug me enough to send it in again.
  • Occasionally it feels like it has significant friction while I'm attempting to drop the saddle. I have a theory that both this issue and the bullet above are related to how slack the seat angle is on my Evil Following. I have to imagine that all droppers would be dealing with some very high loads on any bike with a slack seat angle, but again, something to consider.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That's unfortunate about the play/clunk, that would drive me nuts. Makes sense that the Following seat tube angle wouldn't help though.

Inkhell

Chimp
Jul 15, 2002
Golden
On the cable lever on the bottom of the post... Mine broke during installation. It was in pieces when I pulled the post out. Think it must have contacted the side of the seat tube but Fox was great and quickly placed under warranty. It was replaced with a much more durable machined aluminum piece vs the pot metal casting. Perhaps off the Kashima model? You can see the difference in the pics. Been happy with the performance so far with complaints.

Attachments

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Mine's kashima, and has the cast part.

Looks like Fox made a running change. Good to know that they're taking care of it.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Got one of these last week with the 1x lever. I like the fact I can pull up on the seat to lift the bike and it won't extend and vacuum back down. Also like the audible top out and bottom out. Hope this thing holds up.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
I just picked one of these up.
The lower 'dongle' was cast metal on my factory version. Also to consider is that this post needs an extra inch or more of insertion depth compared to other posts on the market. At least in comparison to RS, CB and KS.
Seems to have good action, hope it has better reliability and longevity than it's peers.
Opted to pick up the Wolftooth remote instead of the Fox one.