Quantcast

Fox x2 new shocks

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
According to Udi the past fox shocks were perfect and the ccdb shitty so the x2 must be unrideable until you add the shimstack of a dhx5 air..

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Has anyone gotten some significant dh time on one of these? Really considering one for Turner dhr...

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I think I've spent enough time now to give an opinion, that's not based on "oooh new shiney... it better be good coz i spent a lot of money on it", though not long enough to say anything about long term durability.

In short - and take it as you may, it's my favourite shock to date (Used a fair few and in no particular grouping / order : Stoy, Void, Vivid, RC4, CCDB, CCDBA, CCDB inline, Ohlins TTX, Monarch debonair) Obviously not all the shock in this list are DH shocks, but left em in there for comparison.

I'm not the greatest when it comes to shock reviews, I can only tell the characteristics I really enjoy, but can't substantiate my view with techno garble and say why that is. The X2 feels like a great mix of both a coil and an air shock, as it's lively and playful like I'd expect an air shock to be, but when you want it to pack down and just grip to the ground, it feels like a coil. The clicks of compression and rebound are nice and positive and have a pronounced effect on the setting you chose to change.

It's no wonder you see so many of them on WC bikes this year, they really are that good.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
It's no wonder you see so many of them on WC bikes this year, they really are that good.
I wonder if this will stay that way. I remember when the vivid got released many sponsored riders showed up with them but I think Cedric Gracia had two bikes one with vivid air and coil and he used the air just for training. Now most riders seem to still prefer coil over air.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
I wonder if this will stay that way. I remember when the vivid got released many sponsored riders showed up with them but I think Cedric Gracia had two bikes one with vivid air and coil and he used the air just for training. Now most riders seem to still prefer coil over air.
This is a fair comment, and only time will tell I guess.
But for this joe-average nobody, I think the shock rocks.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
I think a lot of the guys seen on the air shock love a fair bit of progression (Gwin for example) and since the damper seems to be consistent in its performance those guys have now the possibility to run it. I think it comes down to preferences more then anything. The X2 air seems to be far more capable then the Vivid air in these regards.
Btw.: In Brosnans Whistler video he was riding a Vivid air. Seems like they are OK for park riding but don't have the performance of the specially tuned coil shock.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
hard to say. I mean whith the Vivid air it was basically the same: feels like a a coil but over time most of the RS guys stayed with coil. But I think I saw bruni race one in 2015 and the Bos sponsored riders are on air shocks too..

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
hard to say. I mean whith the Vivid air it was basically the same: feels like a a coil but over time most of the RS guys stayed with coil. But I think I saw bruni race one in 2015 and the Bos sponsored riders are on air shocks too..
I've not owned a Vivid air, but ridden a friends bike a fair bit with one on, and the X2 is better in every way. That's anecdotal as it gets, but I really do believe this shock is a massive step ahead of the other air shocks in the market. Even just pushing down on it to initiate travel feels the same as it does with a coil shock.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Right now the RC4 that's on there feels fine it's not like it's a junker but if I can drop two pounds and add a little in the tuneability department that seems like a win. Anyone out there want to talk me out of adding an X2 to my DHR? Udi?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Not sure about that combo to be honest.
Progressive rear end + progressive spring = too much progression?
How does the spring curve of the new air shock look like?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
That is a bit of my concern as well which is why I'm wondering if I'm better off with my RC4 and just a TI spring to help drop a little weight. I have no idea what that curve looks like on the x2

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I've been blown away by the Float X2 on my nomad, which is my trail and park bike.
Prefer it over my past DBa and all other air shocks I've run.
Wide range of adjustment lets you dial in exactly the feel you want etc.
Glad I scrapped my original plan to buy a coil X2, the float leaves me wanting for nothing when it comes to performance.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I was tempted to try the X2 float on MY dhr but decided to hold off and let someone else be the test monkey, for both fit and performance.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
The X2 damned near purged the unrideableness out of the nomad.
It's THAT good.
Ok, I appreciate hyperbole as much as the next guy, but let's not go overboard here. We all know you still have to use a donkey to drag your bike along the trails, regardless of what fancy new shock you have. Although I do believe the X2 probably feels better in the venerable parking lot squish test, which is about the only thing you can do with that "bike".

Last edited:

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Apparently it will fit (my mechanic is double checking right now). Everyone keeps saying progressive this that and the other so I'm hoping for some people who are using this on a DH bike to chime in

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
Throw the new Fox SLS spring on there. Universal Cycles has some in stock or you can buy from Fox direct. 130 MSRP.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
And in truth, your bike has 26" wheels, so it doesn't really matter what kind of shock (or fork) your running - it's an unstable, tractionless POS that is only barely rideable because it has unidirectional rotating links versus the abomination that is counter rotating links. Just ask trumbullhuckster, he'll tell ya the tragic truth.

Hell, given the significant handicap you're already laboring under with the nano-wheels, just remove the shock altogether and at least save some weight.

Dirk77

Monkey
Feb 15, 2014
Anyone know about fitment of the x2 float to a 14' carbon Wilson frame?

I guess the ccdba fits but you can't access the air valve without removing the shock.

Last edited:

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Anyone know about fitment to a 14' carbon Wilson frame?

I guess the ccdba fits but you can't access the air valve without removing the shock.
I thought bikes were long these days, but this is getting ridiculous!

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Such quality responses... Kidding but seriously looking for some real world feedback if possible