Quantcast

FR/DH bike chainring combo advice needed

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well I'm taking the plunge and getting a bike with a good amount of travel. Trading my Snipes for a 2002 Cheeta Prowler being sold by a fellow monkey and trading my Shiver SC for a 2002 White Bros DH 2 fork. Fork is already on the way and i should have it tomorrow - plans are to drive down to get the frame in NY.

The Prowler can accept a front derailleur and I want to use this bike for DH (plattekill, Mt. Snow, Jiminy Peak etc) riding (not ready to race........at least not yet and who knows if ever) and some freeriding (well my version of it anyway) and I was wondering what a good all purpose chainring combo would be.

I have a Spot 34T ring on the hardtail I'm trading for the Cheeta - should I just pair that up with a 22 tooth ring? OR should I opt for something different (say 36/24)?

I know it isn't the greatest, but I have a Truvativ boxguide that I plan to use with the two ring set up. This will work right?

Any advice would be welcome!

Thanks!

Mark

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
depending on terrain,

i would go for something more than 34t for a DH/FR bike, ideally 36/22 or 38/24 if the uphills are not so big. Now as far as the CG goes, it all depends on the diameter of the outside plate/bashring and how many teeth it can accomodate.

congrats on the new frame/fork!

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Pretty sure your Boxguide is single-ring only, though I've heard of jerry-rigged setups on Truvativs for dual rings that forego the top portion of the guide. Never seen them, and I personally wouldn't bother. I'd go no guide or an Evil DRS myself.

36/22 is a great combo for what you're talking about; I run it on my Turner RFX, and it seems pretty popular for most people with dual-ring guides. Might try 38/24 if you can find the ramped 38t ring for it. (and before you ask, try Blackspire, QBP engagement rings, and Vuelta for ramped 36t rings. That question comes up once a month, I swear.)

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by MMcG
hmmm..thanks.....I guess I can run 2 rings and my RF bashguard if I can't use the box guide.
Worth a shot, but be prepared...depending on your bike's suspension, you might *need* a guide if you're riding it the way it's supposed to be ridden. The chain might get reeaaaallly slack when the bike is going through its travel. Then again, it might not...I know nothing about Cheetahs.

MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by MikeD
Worth a shot, but be prepared...depending on your bike's suspension, you might *need* a guide if you're riding it the way it's supposed to be ridden. The chain might get reeaaaallly slack when the bike is going through its travel. Then again, it might not...I know nothing about Cheetahs.

MD
I still think my guide might be able to take two rings........hmmm.

Could this photo help shed any light? Following this photo I did re-align the guide and it helped a great deal.

Edit:ehhh.....then again maybe not. :confused:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How exactly would you mount a front derailleur along with that guide?

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that the guide is designed to prevent what a front derailleur is intended to do...plus, there's physically no way to mount the derailleur along with the upper block of the guide. Unless you have a plan that I just don't understand...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I use a 22/34, but I don't really pedal on downhill stuff, I just try to stay upright :eek: Actually if I could have found a 20 tooth chainring I would have gotten that, I'll take a granny as low as I can get, I also run an 11-34 cassette.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by MikeD
How exactly would you mount a front derailleur along with that guide?

Edit: What I'm trying to say is that the guide is designed to prevent what a front derailleur is intended to do...plus, there's physically no way to mount the derailleur along with the upper block of the guide. Unless you have a plan that I just don't understand...
Holy crap you are right - another asshat moment for MMcG. Fock.

Anyone want to buy a used Truvativ box guide - real cheap! Or trade??

Man I'm a focking moron today (or maybe I'm just always like this).:(

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Well I might not have a use for it if I want to run two rings on the Prowler.
That's a one ring guide. It ain't gonna happen without more screwy modifications than the thing is worth. There are two ring guides out there. Quite honestly you'd be fine with just a derailleur and a bash guard as long as you're not racing with it.

anyway.........I'll buy it if you want to sell it for less than what a new one costs wholesale.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by kidwoo
That's a one ring guide. It ain't gonna happen without more screwy modifications than the thing is worth. There are two ring guides out there. Quite honestly you'd be fine with just a derailleur and a bash guard as long as you're not racing with it.

anyway.........I'll buy it if you want to sell it for less than what a new one costs wholesale.
I Pm'd ya

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
maybe some night or day this week.

Fork should be here tomorrow according to UPS.

Honeywell has a Prowler in the buy and sell and an Evil guide didn't work too well on his frame - so I need other options than Evil.

Maybe Phil has a guide I can buy that he used with the frame.....:think:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
maybe some night or day this week.

Fork should be here tomorrow according to UPS.

Honeywell has a Prowler in the buy and sell and an Evil guide didn't work too well on his frame - so I need other options than Evil.

Maybe Phil has a guide I can buy that he used with the frame.....:think:
SPAM Here, I have an old MRP WC1 from my Foes Weasel that would work. Then again I don't know why the Evil won't work.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
SPAM Here, I have an old MRP WC1 from my Foes Weasel that would work. Then again I don't know why the Evil won't work.
To quote Honeywell from his post in the buy and sell forum:

"Now, as mentioned above, the Evil doesn't fit this bike and I learned that the hard way. The chainguide nuts that secure the upper part of the guide protrude out and make contact with the swingarm. Because of this it has dug a nice little notch out of the swingarm as well as having scraped the metal from the round circle to the bottom of the pivot bolt. It's hard to see in the pictures but the notch itself is around 2-3mm deep. I'm no engineer but the wear does not seem to be structural. I've ridden the bike for over a year and have had no problems with the swingarm because of this."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Before you write off the Evil guide, email John and ask him if he has done any mods or knows how the guide can better fit. I swear, they are the most useful guys alive regarding their own products, but nobody bothers to ask them how to set up their guides when they have problems. See if they have some kind of useful solution.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by binary visions
Before you write off the Evil guide, email John and ask him if he has done any mods or knows how the guide can better fit. I swear, they are the most useful guys alive regarding their own products, but nobody bothers to ask them how to set up their guides when they have problems. See if they have some kind of useful solution.
I'm not writing off the Evil - per se - but then again, if I can get a used guide that is proven to work well on the frame, then I'll probably go that route.

I know the seller has a guide for sale right now in the buy and sell - perhaps it actually came off the frame I'm getting - if so, it might be the best solution.

Mark

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If you plan to pretty much only ride lift-assisted DH on this bike, forget about the front derailleur. Get a chainguide or a double-bashguard setup with a small chainring (34t or 36t) and you'll have a blast!

I did the mistake of setting up my first DH bike with a dual ring + bashguard (to save some $$$ :rolleyes: )...but that didn't last long. I rapidly bought a chainguide.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Flipside - the plan is to use it for lift assisted and some trail riding with drops and doable stunts and stuff - so a two ring set up with a two ring type guide is what I'm after.

Thanks for the input!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
How heavy will the bike be?
I never really understood people "trailriding" on 40lbs bikes...especially those owning a XC/trail bike. They're either unbelievably strong and/or crazy...or the trails they're riding are very easy.
:confused:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by FlipSide
I never really understood people "trailriding" on 40lbs bikes...especially those owning a XC/trail bike. They're either unbelievably strong and/or crazy...or the trails they're riding are very easy.
Or they're just slow, technical, relatively flat trails...that might include huge rock roll-ins and wheelie drops. (I'm imagining what "vietnam" must be like...much different than here in SoCal).

Still, I don't think MMcG should be scared of a single 34t ring with an 11-34 cassette, especially for trails as described above. I was scared of losing my granny, too...until I actually ditched it. It's not that big a deal.

I think his best bet is to ride the bashring and front der. combo that he has, then switch to the guide if he's losing chains. If he's not riding fast DH stuff anyhow, it's not going to matter. If it's going to be an issue...he'll know soon enough!

MD

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by FlipSide
Not sure how heavy it will be and I'm not talking about Epic XC rides Flipside - but there are some spots locally with 7 and 8 mile loops that include jumps, some natural rock drops etc. etc. that would be fun as hell to hit on this bike.

I hope my bike is under 40 pounds too. Won't know until I get it built i guess.