Quantcast

Frame Swap = love hardtails again...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
so i had this sweet P2 that i used for just about everything; bought it in '03 and it was stolen last year. it was the only hardtail i've ever ridden that i could transition from a FS rig and not feel weird. I could take my DH bike to the trails and do a run on each bike without the usual adjustment time.
so anyway, the shop i ride for carries haro so i picked up their DJ bike for a great price last year to replace my P2 after it was stolen. it's a pretty basic singlespeed with adjustable dropouts and beefy frame....but i just never got used to the geo which meant that it was in the garage unless i was racing bmx. i've been riding my bottlerocket for everything including dj's but i really missed the flow of my HT on the dj's and street.
a friend of mine came home from college the other week but left his P1 at school so i let him ride my haro. he instantly fell in love with it and said he never really felt at home on his P. i suggested that we just trade frames and he was stoked.

so here it i sit, with a huge smile on my face because i finally have a HT that fits me like a glove and rails the dj's. i've taken it out on several dj sessions since i built it up on sunday and it works like a charm and now i think my BR will be sitting in the garage for a while ;)

the old haro:

the P1 with manimalized custom rattle can paint job i did last night :D

there's nothing spectacular about the build; djII, hayes mech brakes, fsa maximus cranks, singletrack rear wheel, specialized rhythm tires (my favorite)

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Nice. I dig the custom camo as well. Do you really need the singulator though? I know the dropouts are short and all, but a half link would probably do the trick.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Or just get a half link chain. Gusset even has a 3/32 half link chain for $20, IF you can find it in stock anywhere. Damned hipsters and their fixies.

What gear ratio?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Or just get a half link chain. Gusset even has a 3/32 half link chain for $20, IF you can find it in stock anywhere. Damned hipsters and their fixies.

What gear ratio?
32/16, I'm keeping the singulator because i've had a P before and the dropouts aren't long enough put put on a dropout tensioner thingy and it's a pain to try and tweak the chain to get it just right. besides, i have a spare wheelset with knobbies so the singulator makes it much easier to change wheels/tires. my haro had a more traditional horizontal dropout with adjustments, made SS a lot easier, the P just doesn't have room for that. but i'll look into the half link thingy, never used one before. i also have enough spare parts to make it geared as well which i may do for DS and some trail riding.

and yes, i use the front brake a lot. at 230lbs, i need every bit of stopping power i can get ;)

if i had my choice and money wasn't an issue, i'd probably snag some neat and trendy steel HT frame but since this was a straight up trade...well, no point in griping on my end :D

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i finally got in some ride time at the track on the new frame. loving everything except the singulator...it keeps dropping the chain off of the pulley; looks like a 1/2 link is in the works for me. i feel considerably faster on this frame at the track and even won all 3 of my motos (a rare occurrence ;) )
few action shots
getting ready to pop out of the gate

new double

lil manimal in a tight race for 8 rookie

this kid is the 8 expert world champ...just got back from china the other week. he races the 15ex class at the locals.....insanely fast for 8.

Last edited:

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
man, kids get smaller and faster ever year. soon it's gonna be just a head and a pair of feet ripping through the berms.