Quantcast

Frameworks DH frames are happening

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know how horrible it was that a social and inclusive form of gravity racing developed that didn't require trust funds, French citizenship,
uhhh
tell me you never really paid attention to who was racing enduro™ without telling me you never really paid attention to was racing enduro

remember how people like yoann barelli got his start in dh? Remember the 'spirit of enduro' and which country was it that made everyone start using that phrase? Was germany right? Great Brittain? Nah that's not it.....which one was it again?

come to the US and pay attention to exactly which variety of bikes get pulled out of 150k sprinter vans

enduro™ was the final gentrification nail in this sport's coffin. Because the industry decided it wanted to make it more marketable with larger profit margins. Now we have shittier trails getting built everywhere and even more disposable trash with a new sticker passing as technological advancement. Enduro was capitalism, nothing more. Not some fuckng huggy wuggy familly luv fest. You act like pedaling uphill and going fast down a trail never existed prior. Even *gasp* with other friends there too.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Dude like the last 7 EWS/EDR male overall winners were US, Canadian or Australian. They've held events in Columbia, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Ireland as well as mainland Europe and North America.

Ya'll blaming enduro for shitty trails cos it occurred at the same time whereas the real culprit was "trails for everybody" push from the bike industry so they could shift more stock to the masses.

It wasn't God realising he made a mistake that killed it, it was the UCI getting sick of non-Frenchies winning stuff and choking it back to a series based in Europe. DH got to the point now where anytime the top princesses have to leave their chalets and travel across the pond they whinge about jetlag and say the courses and too flat and physical. And god forbid some privateers park their vans near the pits cos they'll get called gypsies for bringing the sport into disrepute.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Eh, either way people rip on it but I thought the old series was sick and waaay easier to participate in for mortals. The tracks and venues were awesome, regular folks could have a crack at it and you didn't need a shuttle driver or chairlift for young riders to give it a go. Plus you got to race for 30+ minutes a day rather than one 3-5 minute blast. Sure there was some fashion mistakes and corny marketing vibes that the vampiric industry attached to it to make it a cash cow but at its roots it was basically a run-what-ya-brung sport that you could give a go at half the outlay and upkeep costs.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Dude like the last 7 EWS/EDR male overall winners were US, Canadian or Australian. They've held events in Columbia, Chile, Australia, New Zealand, Portugal, Ireland as well as mainland Europe and North America.
*global hug*

Ya'll blaming enduro for shitty trails cos it occurred at the same time whereas the real culprit was "trails for everybody" push from the bike industry so they could shift more stock to the masses.
Same thing.

Another way to market trailbikes was enduro, to do what? "grow the sport"
You're now looking at the result of the larger push, one symptom of which was the spirit of enderpo

It wasn't God realising he made a mistake that killed it, it was the UCI getting sick of non-Frenchies winning stuff and choking it back to a series based in Europe. DH got to the point now where anytime the top princesses have to leave their chalets and travel across the pond they whinge about jetlag and say the courses and too flat and physical. And god forbid some privateers park their vans near the pits cos they'll get called gypsies for bringing the sport into disrepute.
No it was definitely god. And definitely not a lighhearted joke you're totally overreacting over. :rofl:

brittney2.jpg

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah I'm just sad to see it died like it did. The old EWS series when Hill was wrecking everyone was some of the best stuff we'd seen since the IH Sunday years.

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Eh, either way people rip on it but I thought the old series was sick and waaay easier to participate in for mortals. The tracks and venues were awesome, regular folks could have a crack at it and you didn't need a shuttle driver or chairlift for young riders to give it a go. Plus you got to race for 30+ minutes a day rather than one 3-5 minute blast. Sure there was some fashion mistakes and corny marketing vibes that the vampiric industry attached to it to make it a cash cow but at its roots it was basically a run-what-ya-brung sport that you could give a go at half the outlay and upkeep costs.
similar sentiments here. the years when everyone would race the same course & day - and rub elbows with top pros (oh hi, mr sam hill) were rad. evidently wasn't sustainable as popularity grew (registration went from first come first serve to lottery to separate pro & amateur events), but those were some of my most memorable racing experiences.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

time for the rest of the world to have their own series on their superior race tracks with hookers, and blow

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
While I agree with you that this is a hard sell, I cannot see someone that buys a YT being also interested in this. There are enough middle-aged guys with disposable income (....cough...cough... Ridemonkeys...) that do want something special for a bike. Yes, they could buy a V10, but at every local race or bike park you see 10 of those. Here you can get something not that common, apparently well thought out and tested with a cool story. In addition, you can feel good about supporting a program that supports the US DH scene.
I bet Niko's motivation is to fund bikes he gives away/sells cheap to local kids that way. The larger production run lowers the costs per frame for him and if he sells half of them at sticker price, he can help out a bunch of folks with the rest of the frames.
Not sure of he does, but if I would be him I would offer set-up clinics, "ride with Neko", etc. for an additional cost to add value that none of the larger manufacturers can and will offer.
Similar idea to what K9 tried to do a couple of years ago in the UK. Not sure why this project did not take off more, because I thought at the time it was a pretty good offer for a privateer racer to get a competitive platform with a full set-up session to get your baseline settings dialed, similar to what the pro teams do in the preseason.
i was thinking about the K9 the other day. Friend had one.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Do any of you americans actually go to DH race in America these days? Parents buy dh bikes. Most races have less than 10 people in most adult classes.

These same parents are already paying the Mullaly’s nearly a grand in entries and shuttling their kids around to 7+ events… many of the regional juniors in the Southeast now race in Europe a few times a year. Having “factory” support at literally every race you attend seems pretty useful in the days of Commencals and Transitions that crack when you look at them wrong, just like having spare dampers on hand that are tuned for your bike….
Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 5.00.46 AM.png

Drive 4-5 hours to race DH for the weekend at $75 per entry and $7 a gallon fuel or drive 20 miles and race MX for $45 on the same priced bike at 4x the speeds........

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
4300 Euro for a single pivot frame-
1698928566711.png

I'd think a BTR would be dearer than that and they are made in house.
I think 4k is a lot for a frame but it seems less insane than a $1000+ fork that needs burnishing to make it work properly.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
...Ya'll blaming enduro for shitty trails cos it occurred at the same time whereas the real culprit was "trails for everybody" push from the bike industry so they could shift more stock to the masses....
Nailed it.

Also, this is a post that deserves winner, as well as horns and funny emoticons.

Kudos.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm of two minds about Enduro racing. One the one hand, it's boring to watch, and not as exciting as DH.

On the other hand, I've seen so many more kids get into our sport as a result of its accessibility. It's like the parents don't realize that it is as dangerous (or more?) as DH, and think it's a good, wholesome sport. They get involved, go to races at lift-accessed resorts all around here (North-East Canada/US). The thing is, these kids then realize how awesome DH bikes are, and how much fun DH riding is, and voilà, the future is assured... It's almost like Enduro riding is the gateway drug to DH. I know that in some places (usually locals at bigger locations) will have groms riding DH bikes right from the get-go, but that's pretty rare. I think.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
4300 Euro for a single pivot frame-
View attachment 202998

I'd think a BTR would be dearer than that and they are made in house.
I think 4k is a lot for a frame but it seems less insane than a $1000+ fork that needs burnishing to make it work properly.
It is one of the lightest carbon frames for the given application and made in Germany. That should justify the price IMO.
And it is a flex stay frame, so 4-bar-ish.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It is one of the lightest carbon frames for the given application and made in Germany. That should justify the price IMO.
And it is a flex stay frame, so 4-bar-ish.
Yeah, my allied bc40 is insanely light, and insanely expensive. Just seems to fly uphill.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
It's almost like Enduro riding is the gateway drug to DH.
I read on Ridemonkey that Enduro is just a sport for washed-up downhill riders and dentists that think dirt bike riding is to proletarian. :homer:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
So is that a new bike that's the same as the frameworks one?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I may be wrong - could be a different Ti manufacturer, but aren’t the kingdom welds known to be pretty suspect? The discolouration around the welds speaks to inconsistent penetration.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I may be wrong - could be a different Ti manufacturer, but aren’t the kingdom welds known to be pretty suspect? The discolouration around the welds speaks to inconsistent penetration.
Yep, they are even proud of their discolored welds. :rofl:
Not hearing of many breaking though, so maybe OK?

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Yep, they are even proud of their discolored welds. :rofl:
Not hearing of many breaking though, so maybe OK?
I’ve also never seen one in the flesh, or at any kind of event coverage…just a few in “dream builds” style shoots.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I’ve also never seen one in the flesh, or at any kind of event coverage…just a few in “dream builds” style shoots.
They were previously located in Copenhagen, Denmark, so some were floating around here. Overall they looked OK made, but Planet X Ti frames looked cleaner. I assume they come out of different factories in China.