Quantcast

Frankenbrakes and brake improvement discussion

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I don't think you read my post at all.
The pistons aren't sticking. Also, the pads are worn but still have life on them. Do you have to bleed Shimano shit every ride cause the pads moved in 1mm? I understand why people hate these, but am lost as to why they stick with them.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have a video i'd like to post. After washing the bike off, when I squeezed the levers, air bubbles came out of the resivour toward the hose side. It makes me wonder if this is where air gets in to the majority of Shimano brakes.
I've had multiple setups leak right there. You should redo the connection with a new olive.

I had one set that no matter how many times I reseated the hose, it would still leak. Something was up with the shape of the threaded barrel that crushes the olive in there. Switching out one of those finally did it. Just an idea.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You need to decide if you want help, or if you're already an expert on the topic. You strike me as wanting both.

An open system brake works by using a square section seal that deforms when you squeeze the lever to allow the piston to move outwards, and then retract when the lever returns. The seal deformation acts as a spring, in general operation the piston isn't sliding in the seal (at all). The piston slides outwards in the seal only as the pad wears, which allows more fluid to enter the pressurised system of the brake - so it's entirely possible to have sticky pistons/seals and still do exactly what you describe (i.e. appear to work) - in fact it's highly likely that this is the problem.

I'd advise lubricating and cycling the pistons (exactly as I described, once already), and suggesting that the owner invest in new pads (although it's not necessary, if you fill the system while the pads are worn, the system will be overfilled when the owner fits new pads) at which point the correct thing to do would be to let some fluid out of the system.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I have a video i'd like to post. After washing the bike off, when I squeezed the levers, air bubbles came out of the resivour toward the hose side. It makes me wonder if this is where air gets in to the majority of Shimano brakes.
Did the air bubbles come from under the reservoir cap or from under the hose fitting cover?
There's a big difference. If it's not from the hose fitting then it's not what kidwoo said.

You said "out of the reservoir".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
you've had yours a while now ... what do you think of the stock 2 piston model?
pretty much the same as I've said before...

Don't like the lever swing, works better with the shimano levers, heat management maybe a little bit of an issue on some trails. I 'think' I may have glazed a set on my dh bike. But they bedded back in and felt normal again. I certainly don't have any severe longing to replace them, I just think some better heat dispersion would be a good thing for the big bike. I'm not that big and I tend to run into trees instead of use my brakes so it's not a huge issue. Might be for some other heavier folks though.

Like all the other brands, the metal pads are awesome and the organic mixes are useless in the wet.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've been using those ever since they came out. No weirdness. The centerlock ones that were right before those used to come loose at the rivets for some reason but I've never had the bolt ons do it.
I've had it happen to one non-centerlock rotor. But a sample size of 1 is not statistically significant, is it?

btw Woo... how are those aluminum pots working out for you? have you been able to use them since "thre break" and with winter burying things under snow?

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Sorry for abusing this as the general brake thread, but as i am open to improvement i might as well. So my new bike comes stock with Code RSCs, does anyone have experience with the new Codes? I'll admit that i last used an Avid product in 2008, but i hated every second of it back then and the Guides i tried briefly didn't exactly convince me in terms of ergonomics and power.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I'm a huge fan of the good old "Try things you have at least once before you decide what to do with them"-school of deciding what to upgrade or not.

However, if you didn't like the ergonomics on the Guides, you probably won't love the new Codes.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Sorry for abusing this as the general brake thread, but as i am open to improvement i might as well. So my new bike comes stock with Code RSCs, does anyone have experience with the new Codes? I'll admit that i last used an Avid product in 2008, but i hated every second of it back then and the Guides i tried briefly didn't exactly convince me in terms of ergonomics and power.
Do they still come with the pre-fucked master cylinder pistons that expand in heat (i.e. in a car sitting in sun)? All my friends with the Codes had to have the levers replaced under warranty.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Do they still come with the pre-fucked master cylinder pistons that expand in heat (i.e. in a car sitting in sun)? All my friends with the Codes had to have the levers replaced under warranty.
Everything produced from around a year ago comes with the updated master cylinder. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can tell the exact month for the production swapp?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
User error. They work fine below 15ºC.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The only SRAM brake that most SRAM-sponsored riders genuinely seem to like is the previous-gen code (gunmetal/chrome complete brake). Most people I know went out of their way / pulled strings to get those instead of the modern versions, and still seem to.

This season a bunch of the guys were given the new Code RSCs and the verdict was that they started off good but then deteriorated halfway through the season. I didn't pay too much attention but I did notice the throws started reasonable then got longer over time. That said, unless you can replace them with you-know-what, maybe just run them?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I recently took the gamble of ordering some lightweight disc rotors from ebay. Turned out to be Promax parts. Didn't hear about that company/brand before. Does anybody have any knowledge about them? http://www.promaxcomponents.com/
To me they look like your typical Taiwan catalogue brand.

Price was ~ 8 Euros for the 180 and ~ 9 Euros for the 203.

Optical quality is quite ok. No sharp edges. The narrow face sides seem to be coated. They have a somewhat soft touch.

Here is the 180mm one, 104 gr

And that's the 203 mm one, 147 gr

My idea was to put them on my light wheelset, for pulling the trailer through the woods. So no hard braking put a higher load to slow down.

Is anybody warning me about me gonna get myself killed and take one of my kids with me?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Necro bump.
I'm back to glycol based braking fluid in my recently bought R0R. Formula states that ONLY DOT 4 may be used, confirmed by an official rep. But he refuses to give me a technical reason or explanation. I can't find a reason why I would use DOT 4 over the lower viscosity DOT 5.1.

To make it short, what have you R0R users (@Udi @HAB ) been doing?

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Your sandbox field needs a comparison for 29 vs 27.5 as well. Probably more relevant.
But STILL relevant, at least for some of us. As for the 29r, that would be a welcome addition. Hell, do a 29 / 26 comparo as well, I can't be the only one that is looking at going to a 29" trailbike from a 26". I have a set of XO Trails that could get moved over....

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
But STILL relevant, at least for some of us. As for the 29r, that would be a welcome addition. Hell, do a 29 / 26 comparo as well, I can't be the only one that is looking at going to a 29" trailbike from a 26". I have a set of XO Trails that could get moved over....
Those numbers are approximations, but you lose roughly a further 6% (from 27.5" to 29"). The reason for the increased jump is because 27.5" is more like 27", but 29" is closer to actually being the jump the numbers suggest. Added to list.

So if you're going from 26" to 29" you'll lose a clean 10% braking force, and that's without accounting for inertial effects (which do become significant also, since it increases as a function of r^2 not just r).

For a 29" DH bike, I consider 225mm rotors a minimum, for a 29" trailbike 203mm rotors a minimum.

Those numbers are approximations, but you lose roughly a further 6% (from 27.5" to 29"). The reason for the increased jump is because 27.5" is more like 27", but 29" is closer to actually being the jump the numbers suggest. Added to list.

So if you're going from 26" to 29" you'll lose a clean 10% braking force, and that's without accounting for inertial effects (which do become significant also, since it increases as a function of r^2 not just r).

For a 29" DH bike, I consider 225mm rotors a minimum, for a 29" trailbike 203mm rotors a minimum.
So for my Tracer, at about 32#, me at 160#, 27.5" wheels, what rotor diameter would you suggest? I'm not sure how to classify my riding, it gets sort of rowdy on rough shit downhill at times... I usually run one size larger in front to balance braking force...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
interesting stuff on that sheet WRT mineral oil. I have been using pentosin for years, which appears most similar to magura royal blood....but quite a bit different than shimano liquid gold. Maybe it's time to switch...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So for my Tracer, at about 32#, me at 160#, 27.5" wheels, what rotor diameter would you suggest? I'm not sure how to classify my riding, it gets sort of rowdy on rough shit downhill at times... I usually run one size larger in front to balance braking force...
I have 180f/180r on my trail bike and do 200,000ft+ of descending on that bike per year.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have 180f/180r on my trail bike and do 200,000ft+ of descending on that bike per year.
How much do you weigh? On my 27.5 Enduro bike I run 203mm rotors F&R with Hope E4s and just upgraded to V4s for more stopping power, with me in kit weighing ~90kg (200lbs). My girl runs 180mm F&R on her 29er Enduro bike and has no problems stopping but she's like 45kg.

A few years ago when I first got into trail riding I went from 97kg to 82kg in 12 months. My braking points changed substantially from doing that - it really was noticeable pulling up less weight coming into corners.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm probably ~180lb RTR. Just checked rather than guessing and it's been ~300,000ft of descending each of the last couple of years on my trail bike, Turner Burner.

Guide RSC's.

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
203mm front / 180mm rear is probably a good bet given those circumstances/preferences.

You can obviously run anything you like (as evident above) but the disadvantage of small rotors on big wheels is not just the obvious braking force loss - it's less heat dissipation, which means pads see higher temps, and glaze more, so you start off with less braking force but then what you have gets worse faster too (long before the pads actually wear out, particularly in the case of full-sintered pads).

Every sintered pad suffers noticeably from this (organics/semis fare a bit better by wearing faster), the only notable exception is Shimano's heatsink pads (worth every cent of the premium for those who run Shimano or can fit those pads).

Weight is the only real downside to bigger rotors, but there are light options out there - my favourite is the Formula 203mm with alloy carrier, expensive but 143g is competitive with much smaller rotors and surface area is decent for the weight. The Shimano ice-tech 203mm is pretty good too at ~168g.
Found several discussions online that allegedly Magura royal blood is based on Castrol Vitamol V 10
Aware of this, but my advice would just be to avoid it altogether.
It's the worst fluid on the list by far. Shimano oil is good and readily available.

203mm front / 180mm rear is probably a good bet given those circumstances/preferences.

You can obviously run anything you like (as evident above) but the disadvantage of small rotors on big wheels is not just the obvious braking force loss - it's less heat dissipation, which means pads see higher temps, and glaze more, so you start off with less braking force but then what you have gets worse faster too (long before the pads actually wear out, particularly in the case of full-sintered pads).

Every sintered pad suffers noticeably from this (organics/semis fare a bit better by wearing faster), the only notable exception is Shimano's heatsink pads (worth every cent of the premium for those who run Shimano or can fit those pads).

Weight is the only real downside to bigger rotors, but there are light options out there - my favourite is the Formula 203mm with alloy carrier, expensive but 143g is competitive with much smaller rotors and surface area is decent for the weight. The Shimano ice-tech 203mm is pretty good too at ~168g.

Aware of this, but my advice would just be to avoid it altogether.
It's the worst fluid on the list by far. Shimano oil is good and readily available.
Thanks - I think I'm on the Ice-Techs.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
@johnbryanpeters
FYI in case you were wondering, the big reason for keeping same size rotor front and rear (in this case 203mm rear) is that while the front generates the most braking force (and the rear can lock up with less), the rear also gets dragged a lot more particularly on descents - with the net result being that the rear pads get heat damaged much faster and to a greater extent.

I had this issue this lift season, and actually ended up running sintered pads on the front and organic pads on the rear to deal with it. The faster wear keeps the surface fresh instead of dragging on the same hard surface and causing permanent friction reduction.

Only a big problem with prolonged descents, with 203/180 I'd just change the rear pads if/when rear braking gets poor.

@johnbryanpeters
FYI in case you were wondering, the big reason for keeping same size rotor front and rear (in this case 203mm rear) is that while the front generates the most braking force (and the rear can lock up with less), the rear also gets dragged a lot more particularly on descents - with the net result being that the rear pads get heat damaged much faster and to a greater extent.

I had this issue this lift season, and actually ended up running sintered pads on the front and organic pads on the rear to deal with it. The faster wear keeps the surface fresh instead of dragging on the same hard surface and causing permanent friction reduction.

Only a big problem with prolonged descents, with 203/180 I'd just change the rear pads if/when rear braking gets poor.
Got it, and good suggestion. I was aiming for approximately balancing pull on front and rear pull on levers for equivalent effect front and rear. Organic pads in rear is an interesting idea.