Quantcast

free trade and US farming subsidies..

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
so, today i tasted tear gas for the first time in my life.

and i wasnt even protesting, i was going home to have lunch.
i woke up, went to buy bread in the early empty morning and saw a few cops with the riot outfit on and an armored carrier.. i knew today the commies meant business.

when i dropped back at 3 for lunch, as i was walking to the door, i saw the commies yelling against the free trade treaty and so on like 150-200 yards away from my house, and then some cop threw tear gas for the kicks and i felt funny on the nose, it made me cry in the 10 seconds it took me to realize i was breathing tear gas and run to my car to get away. man, that **** hauls ass. even at, at least, 2 blocks away.

i dont know why would protesters protest against an economical/political decision in front of the defense ministery (like they had something to do ) but what would i know....

thing is, while the commies oppose a "free trade" on ideological grounds, i thought they had one good point, even though i support a free treade treaty with the states.
That is the subsidies farmers get in the US, and the crop dumping.

on one hand you have a few relatively well off farmers in the US receiving money from the government to keep pumping corn and wheat at super low prices... (accounts for less than 1% of the gdp, and less than 0.7% of the workforce in farming/forestry/fishing combined)
on the other hand, you have millions of subsistance farmers in south america and asia, who have 1 acre of land and pretty much live of what they get for the crops.

the super cheap crops of the 1st sweep out of competition the 2nd farmers.

i really dont understand what is the point, or what is there to gain. from any point of view, if you are a conservative, its using tax money for a few inefficient farmers, if you are a pinko liberal, you are hurting the poorest of the poor...
on ideological grounds, it is clearly a textbook example of anti-free market government intervention.

is it strategical? does the us wants to have a warrantied supply of food if there is a blockade, even after the collapse of the soviets?
are they evil and want to starve to death millions of people? the lobbies are to powerful?

what are your thoughts on that??