Quantcast

Freeride bike?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
My first freeride bike is a Kona Stinky and I love it. Kona has some smokin deals on 04's now, but bikes are running out...

BigStonz

Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
Swain!! NY
For under $2000 you can get a new 04' Kona Stinky Deluxe delivered. Check the adds in the major mags. That would be sweet for you.
That being said,...I ride a Bullit....about $2700ish invested into it.

Billleigh

Chimp
Jun 3, 2004
Beaver PA
budrock said:
I am wanting to add a freeride bike to my growing number of bikes and i was wondering about which make to get. I already have a xc racer softail now i want somthing i can beat up and do some drops with and still be able to pedal up hill.
Only one choice BANSHEE SCREAM! It pedals light and takes a beating...
Just ask Josh Bender! Plus a 10 year Warranty! You can get a lighter bike but
not with this type of Warranty and service! http://www.bansheebikes.com/index.html

Peace

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i'd say go with a kona and upgrade to a platform shock to make it pedal nicely, that is what really hurts the kona's in my opinion, something like a 5th or even a romic will make it pedalable and it still will be supper cheap!!

the transitions are very similar to kona's but are stronger and slightly better design, i would go with this if you don't want "kona" brand but like the strength and simplicity with a full length seatpost!!

remember if you want to pedal you want to have a full length seatpost!!! i loved that about my stinky!!

budrock

Chimp
Oct 15, 2004
Well i decided to get a bigHit. my LBS gave me a great deal on last years model. I have only had it out a few times before i came to the S@*thole i am in now. Which would be qatar! but should be home soon to hurt myself.

this is a link to a pic from my first time out on it.
http://www.hcor.net/postt21144.html

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
no springs...air shocks....almost no bob, and when going uphill jsut tighten em up...going down loosen em up...giant trance or reign and if you got enough money fiath 3...im getting one soon....although its springs

Everyone reccommends Santa Cruz... well they're a bunch of dorks. Totally rude and unhelpful on the phone, and not that great when working with warranties. The bikes are cool, but I would never buy a bike from a company full of rude assholes. For about the same amount of money for a bullit you could build up a Cove G-spot. It's burlier, plusher, and the company is owned by awesome people. Or just get a Banshee, they're relatively inexpensive and just rock.

vtrider

Monkey
Apr 11, 2005
vermont
well, i agree with all that, but im trying to sell a 03' bighit spec, so pm me if you want. perfect beginning freeride bike, really burly, and it has an 04' jrt. wont even cost you one grand shipped. :thumb:

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
ncrider said:
If you have the $$$$ get a VP-free. This really is the go anywhere do anything bike. Mine pedals uphill with 0 pedal bob. I'll never buy anouther freeride bike.
The vp-free is a great bike. Also look at the stinky and bullit.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Check out the new 2005 Specialized Bighit FSR. They're going for 1800 at my LBS and they have lots of room for future upgrades, but they come with bombproof, proven components.

Aug 23, 2007
I would serioucly look into Devinci, there bikes are amazing,, ive been riding them for 5 years now and have never had a problem.