Quantcast

Freeride bikes

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please explain to me the general differences between a freeride bike and a XC bike? My wife and I were discussing how a freeride bike might serve me better, due to the way I ride. Seems like I am killing my XC bike and I feel like I am really pushing what the bike can do. Problem is, I have owned it for just a few months now and I hate to think I spent $1100 on a bike that I may have already outgrown. My Rocky Mountain Spice is listed as a "novice to intermediate" bike. Just wondering what you monkeys thought.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My girlfriend has a Spice too. She have the 2000 model with the coil-over rear shock. Unless you like to do some kind of crazy drops, I'd suggest you to upgrade it. That's what I'm currently doing with my FSR XC.

Typically, a XC bike will be light enough to climb efficiently. eg.: small tires (1.95-2.1), light rims, short travel (3"-4") and will usually have an air shock in the rear.

A freeride bike will be heavier (thus stronger), will have beefier rims, bigger tires, more travel (4"-5" and up) and usually have a coil-over shock.

So if you don't want to buy another bike...do like me and change your fork. What may be wrong with your Spice is the 3" Z5-air it probably came with. Upgrade this with a 4" coil fork like a Black, X-Vert Super (170$ on Supergo), Psylo, Marzocchi, etc. It will change the feeling of the bike a lot. I really wanted a new bike but I decided to change only the fork...best decision I made for a while.

Oh yeah! If you learn freeriding (does that make sense???) on a more XC oriented bike, you'll be forced to be a smoother rider, which is very good! The smoother you ride now, the better you'll be with a true FR bike!

R

RideMonkey

A friend got a RM Instinct a few months ago. How did he know it was time to upgrade? He rode it off a 5 foot drop at Moab and it broke.

Depends on the type of riding you want to do. If you want to do drops, jumps, logs, etc...... then maybe a free-ride bike is the way to go. You wouldnt want to race one though.

You are starting to learn the real issue here: we all need MANY bikes :D

:monkey:

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Baboon - what kind of stuff are you "killing" - which parts and what level are they (deore, LX, SRAM 9.0, etc.)?

One thing you will come to realize, if you ride hard and ride a lot, mountain biking can be an expensive sport. And that's assuming you are buying decent parts, not super expensive stuff. It adds up quick.

Originally posted by riderx
Baboon - what kind of stuff are you "killing" - which parts and what level are they (deore, LX, SRAM 9.0, etc.)?

One thing you will come to realize, if you ride hard and ride a lot, mountain biking can be an expensive sport. And that's assuming you are buying decent parts, not super expensive stuff. It adds up quick.
I agree with you - I don't think he needs a different bike cuz of the parts (because parts are comparable on the freeride I'm talking about). He likes the logs, the drops etc - I just think the freeride would serve him better in the long run.

Perhaps you are correct and he needs more than one ;)

(btw, they are a combo lx and xt parts)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

I agree with you - I don't think he needs a different bike cuz of the parts (because parts are comparable on the freeride I'm talking about). He likes the logs, the drops etc - I just think the freeride would serve him better in the long run.

Yes, more than one bike is necessary. You heard/read me correctlly Captain. For example, my Gary Fisher Sugar is NOT MEANT to take drops and rocky ledges. On second thought, I'm not sure I'm meant to take them either!!!:D

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by ridemonkey
You are starting to learn the real issue here: we all need MANY bikes :D

:monkey:
I have a mental list in my head and right now I'm at a conservative 5 bikes. Sorry, gotta go now..................lottery, lottery lottery......i must win the lottery......get ticket lottery......4 - 6 -18-42- 43-49 DAMN THEY SHOULD MAKE THIS EASIER!!!

hurricane

Chimp
Sep 18, 2001
I guess it depends on what type of stuff you're riding on that bike. The Spice/Element bikes are great xc bikes, but once you get beyond that and into riding more technical terrain you could be pushing your luck.

I had a 1999 Element with a Z2 on the front and managed to put a crack in it at the top tube/head tube weld. I live outside Vancouver, so this was ridden on the north shore and similar technical trails. I didn't jump the bike and you can count the number of wheelie drops I'd done on it on one hand, so it's not like I'm some guy out hucking on an xc bike and then am surprised when it breaks. (I also weigh about 160, so it's not like I'm heavy). After 1 1/2 years of hard riding, and riding things like this...

... takes it's toll on an XC bike.

One of my buddies had a '98 (I think) Element and went through 3 frames before Rocky refused him warranty...but he was running a 4" fork, which is a no-no according to their warranty. This is the last frame he broke:

This summer I sold my Element and bought a freeride bike (Norco VPS Drop) and I feel much more comfortable and am starting to ride more confidently...taking drops, getting air. Of course the new bike is a pig in comparison at 38 or so pounds, but it sure is fun.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Well I think I ride hard.....lots of rocks, logs, and short drops. I'll attempt to ride off/over pretty much anything. My concern is that a Rocky Mountain Spice was not designed to take a hard beating twice a week. I don't know if a "novice to intemediate" XC bike is supposed to be taken over logs, sharp rock beds, boulders, and tree roots...and at a decent speed too.

On the plus side, the Spice does feel like it climbs well (as FlipSide said it might).

Hey Ridemonkey, why wouldn't I want to race with a freeride? I am serious about starting to race XC next year. a FR isn't good for that? Is it the weight and the extra travel that's bad?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I actually saw people riding freeride bikes at the 24 Hours of Showshoe this year. Bullits, Turners, Uzzi's.

But it really sounds like you need 2 different bikes. A racer and a freeride. If your gonna race you need light, if your gonna beat a bike, travel and girth. This is a conflict.

I can't think off hand of any bikes that I would want to race that I could trust on a 6' dropoff.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
IRB, you seems to ride pretty much the same stuff as I do. Don't change the Spice if you want to continue to ride like that. If you want to go bigger, then OK, change it...but there's a lot of fun to have with a beefed up XC bike.

Bottom line: We need a couple of bikes, thats true!

But if we can only afford one, we gotta choose the right bike. I've been thinking of buying a 2Step or a Stinky Dee all summer. But I simply decided to add a 2" riser bar and a 4" fork on my bike and it turns out it was the thing to do for me. If I don't do stupid stuff, the bike holds fine!

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

I think you are probably fine with your current rig. Both of my Mountain bikes are hardtails and I ride everything (or attempt to) that's on the trail or in my way. Typical east coast types of things: Giant logs, boulders, rock gardens, 3-4 ft. drop offs. I weigh 150# and I'm not destroying parts all that often. I've broken 1 frame in 10 years. Just part of the game. A lot of it depends on landing and riding smoothly. Since you are still a fairly new rider, and you are riding pretty aggressively, you are going to go through some parts as you develop your skills.

Here's a quote from frame builder Matt Chester. I think it's pretty sound advice.
Skill and setup before stuff
These are from a few years ago. This is the frame that eventually broke, but it stood up to several years of this type of riding.
Off the bank Double jump

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Good point by riderx (nice pics BTW :thumb: ).

I weight 145 pounds. So this helps me not breaking too much things on my bike. I wouldn't like to see a 200 pounds rider do the things I do with MY bike. The bike just wouldn't support it...

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
GT Zaskar - Long seatpost. Bomber. They're cheap-ish right now. I doubt you'd break it. I snapped two spokes on a drop Saturday which bottomed out my fork and nearly sent my saddle through the top of my head, but never a problem with the frame. Almost 5 years and going strong even with a 1 inch dent in the top tube. JMHO.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Ok, ok allow me to re-iterate what the whole board agrees on: multiple bikes are key! As an amendment to that, I saved all last year and bought an Isis and built it up for abuse so I could choose between a hardtail and freeride, the thing is, its all I ride now! I'd rather be on it that my Stumpy that weighs in at 25-26lbs when my Isis is 32lbs! Those epics are so much more fun! Once you get your fitness in line with your bike its a whole new game on the trail. Because the Ellsworth is not exactly waterbottle friendly, I am retrofitting the Stumpy to be my night rider...and winter sled. Once again we return to the theme of a quiver of riding weapons! :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by VTinCT
Ok, ok allow me to re-iterate what the whole board agrees on: multiple bikes are key! As an amendment to that, I saved all last year and bought an Isis and built it up for abuse so I could choose between a hardtail and freeride, the thing is, its all I ride now! I'd rather be on it that my Stumpy that weighs in at 25-26lbs when my Isis is 32lbs! Those epics are so much more fun! Once you get your fitness in line with your bike its a whole new game on the trail. Because the Ellsworth is not exactly waterbottle friendly, I am retrofitting the Stumpy to be my night rider...and winter sled. Once again we return to the theme of a quiver of riding weapons! :thumb:
VT, you've ridden some of the same trails I have. I'll have to show you around the West Hartford reservoir. I think that parts of that ride are where my bike takes a bit of a pounding. My Spice works fine at Cockaponsett and Penwood.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
Mr. Baboon, have you tried your hand at Tyler Mill or Westwoods yet? Perhaps a roll through Trumbull would let you really stretch your bikes legs...it almost broke mine! (legs that is). I'm going to be lazy and not look back through the thread to see if it is there, but how much do you weigh (in gear)? I think this needs to be a key factor in the descicion to get a new rig. I get on an FSR and I can flex the rear end in the parking lot! Thats not a slam on the big S...well yes it is, but anyway, the point is there is no way it would hold up to the abuse with my weight. Just a thought.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
PS: I've heard a lot about the Res, but have yet to ride there, I didn't realize it was that tech:confused: I'd definatley like to check it out there.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i guess im not in-line with the rest of the population

to me freeride bike is a bike that frees you from the need to even think of the terrain v/s bike problem

that means that its a bike you can do everything with, ride everywhere in ok fashion, granted it wont be a sprinter or a dh monster but it will take you everywhere.

to me at least that means hydro discs, 1.9 to 2.3 tires and 5" travel with lotsa adjustments on frame and shocks.

just my two pesos (less than to gringo cents)

v

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You're right vitox, at least concerning what a perfect freeride BIKE is (or should be).

What is still not so clear is what freeriding is really.

I doubt we'll settle this anytime soon...and I guess it's the beauty of it! ;)

G

gravity

Originally posted by FlipSide
You're right vitox, at least concerning what a perfect freeride BIKE is (or should be).

What is still not so clear is what freeriding is really.

I doubt we'll settle this anytime soon...and I guess it's the beauty of it! ;)
Exactly! freeride bikes are meant for use for ANYTHING (cept XC racing obviously) from blasting along singletrack to dropping off 7 foot drops, to flying down the local DH course at 60kmh. i think that freeride bikes with adjustable travel in both the back and the front are the way to go, like the Giant XTC-AC line (although i personally don't like Giants) or the Craftworks freerider :rolleyes:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by I Are Baboon
Pardon my ignorance, but can someone please explain to me the general differences between a freeride bike and a XC bike? My wife and I were discussing how a freeride bike might serve me better, due to the way I ride. Seems like I am killing my XC bike and I feel like I am really pushing what the bike can do. Problem is, I have owned it for just a few months now and I hate to think I spent $1100 on a bike that I may have already outgrown. My Rocky Mountain Spice is listed as a "novice to intermediate" bike. Just wondering what you monkeys thought.
My definition of a freeride bike is roughly a 5-6" travel frame with a 4-7" travel fork with a triple chainring. Those bikes usally weight about 30-39lbs. Thats all I have ridden for the last 4 years until I built a DH bike. I used a 6&7" freeride bike for XC and it worked fine for me for the type of riding I do.

VTinCT

Flexmaster Flexy Flex
Sep 24, 2001
Lost in the woods...
:think: How do they like them? I've heard mixed nuts as to the rear linkage system they use. (that said, I have a hard time believing that the Froriders wouldn't have put them through the paces long before introduction)...I guess I again revert to the weight issue. The bigger the body, the more I'd sway toward single pivot designs. Just my two bones...:D

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
I like the idea of putting a on a different fork and rear shock. Unless your Spice is a really light bike I don't think the frame will bust on you. If you are seriously looking at getting a new bike, I would get a RM Switch or a Stinky, and don't worry about the weight. When you go to race you will be so used to the weight of you freeride bike that the Spice will be a feather-weight. But that is what everybody else has said anyway.
I have been looking at getting "freeride" bikes also, and its a very conflicting decision. Part of me wants to do the rougher stuff adn not worry about keeping up with my riding buddies, and the other side wants to be at the front of the pack. I think the RM Slayer would be a good compromise if it comes to that.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Funny you should bring up the topic of Slayers. I built one up early this summer. Never mind "borderline" freeride bike. I'd say it's full-on. The Easton RAD tubing is indestructible. A hair shy of 5" in the rear and 5" up front, with a Fox RC shock and Z-1 BAM fork. I'm not a Josh Bender type 15' drop guy, but I like air and 5' - 6' drops and fast steep rock-strewn chutes and logovers and LOTS of climbing. No problem with any of these things. I ride with friends on hardtails and on 7" big-drop machines and keep up just fine. I really like the linkage design. It performs much like the Turner that I destroyed, and is still as tight as it was on the first ride. My 22 1/2 lb Ti XC race bike is now only used for commuting, when I'm not racing. The Rocky fits my "one bike does it all" budget category, except for the racecourse, which is about 2% of my riding time.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Freeride is something different to each of us. Some guys around here shuttle DH bikes in trucks up the mountain and refer to themselves as freeriders. I call 'em downhillers but they don't compete in races so they call themselves freeriders. Who cares. Just get out there and ride. I like my Heckler. 4.5 out back and 5 in front. Air shocks for light weight, really light wheels and hayes hydraulic brakes works for me. I race it XC too.

How many freeriders does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change the bulb

and nine to watch and comment "I could do that"

G

gravity

Originally posted by oldfart
Freeride is something different to each of us. Some guys around here shuttle DH bikes in trucks up the mountain and refer to themselves as freeriders. I call 'em downhillers but they don't compete in races so they call themselves freeriders. Who cares. Just get out there and ride. I like my Heckler. 4.5 out back and 5 in front. Air shocks for light weight, really light wheels and hayes hydraulic brakes works for me. I race it XC too.

How many freeriders does it take to change a lightbulb?

One to change the bulb

and nine to watch and comment "I could do that"
<predictable groan from audience>

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1

My definition of a freeride bike is roughly a 5-6" travel frame with a 4-7" travel fork with a triple chainring. Those bikes usally weight about 30-39lbs. Thats all I have ridden for the last 4 years until I built a DH bike. I used a 6&7" freeride bike for XC and it worked fine for me for the type of riding I do.
what kind of typical climbs do you do w/ a 7" travel fork? i've got a 6" jr T on my joker, and unless i shove the legs as high as possible in the crowns, climbing sucks. and even then, on steep stuff i'll tend to lift the front end.

G

grommet

I'm in a little late but for christ sakes people!

Directed at no one in particular. So don't get your panties all in a bunch.

If you want to call your self a "freerider" go ahead, it's the catch phrase of the mountain bike industry. But I'll laugh when you crash on the 2' drop. Buy a bike that is suited to what you want to ride, and if want to climb with it, don't get a Monster T. Boy... some of you people don't think much EH! I consider myself a "freerider" because of the terrain I ride and only ride. You won't catch me climbing for the fun of it, I can't wait until it's over and I can hit warp speed on some trail with jumps, drops and stunts on it. So I bought a bike for that purpose, If I wanted to ride up hill all the time I would have purchased something else. If you are always breaking stuff then buy a stronger frame and learn to ride smoothly. Freeride bikes look cool because of the big forks, fat tires and the slack angles but looks only go so far when your on the mountain. Go ride and when you progress far enough that your bike can't handle the big stuff then upgrade, but be prepared for the consequences. Good luck to all you "freeriders".

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
You're being a little aggressive grommet but...hummm...euuuuh...you're kinda right!

So my guess is that the discussion about this subject is
1) done
2) nearly done
3) never gonna end

G

grommet

We need something to discuss.:D
I'm better now... was in a ****ty mood cause I gotta get on a plane again on Monday. I think I have spent more time in airports and hotels than my own place these last 2 months.

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
freeriding is riding over anything you want..

i know lots of people who ride 50 pound bikes with monster T's.. but they could still beat alot of people up a hill if they rode that bike in xc.. heck i heard of one guy winning a XC race on a year 2000 vps-1 that weighed like 45-50 pounds.

its the rider not the bike.. remember that at all times

fubar5

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
Houston, TX
Hey Baboon, I thought this reveiw of the Slayer might interest you. You may have read it already, it is from the December 2000 issude of Bicycling. I know Bicycling isn't the best mag, but whatever.

7 words: Stiff Frame,Active Suspension,Very aggressive rider.

But if: Tricky Descents and radical terrain call your name(oh yeah !!)

Forget if: You're a long distance or recreational rider who appreciates a light and fast ride.

Profile: Freeride Flyer built for the adventurer

Best Thing: Easton's RAD oversized tubing. Thanks to the RADically manipulated top an downtubes, the Slayers steering accuracy and lateral rigidity is spot-on. And while its rear end isn't pure four-bar linkage,it functions relatively actively and works independent of pedal input when used with a disc brakes set-up(canti's do effect pedal input)

Worst Thing: Weight, 32 pounds(who cares?)

Braggging Rights: While portly, the Slayers ride is suprisingly efficient. 4.75 inches of rear travel cancels out medium to big hits, but doesn't leave the rider wallowing in travel with each pedal stroke. This bike screams North Shore(hooah!)

Insight: If you are a rider who thrives in rough,sloppy,steep,technical terrain look no further than the Slayer. Anything more would be pure DH.

Price:2,155 bucks (ouch!)

Originally posted by fubar5
Hey Baboon, I thought this reveiw of the Slayer might interest you. You may have read it already, it is from the December 2000 issude of Bicycling. I know Bicycling isn't the best mag, but whatever.

7 words: Stiff Frame,Active Suspension,Very aggressive rider.

But if: Tricky Descents and radical terrain call your name(oh yeah !!)

Forget if: You're a long distance or recreational rider who appreciates a light and fast ride.

Profile: Freeride Flyer built for the adventurer

Best Thing: Easton's RAD oversized tubing. Thanks to the RADically manipulated top an downtubes, the Slayers steering accuracy and lateral rigidity is spot-on. And while its rear end isn't pure four-bar linkage,it functions relatively actively and works independent of pedal input when used with a disc brakes set-up(canti's do effect pedal input)

Worst Thing: Weight, 32 pounds(who cares?)

Braggging Rights: While portly, the Slayers ride is suprisingly efficient. 4.75 inches of rear travel cancels out medium to big hits, but doesn't leave the rider wallowing in travel with each pedal stroke. This bike screams North Shore(hooah!)

Insight: If you are a rider who thrives in rough,sloppy,steep,technical terrain look no further than the Slayer. Anything more would be pure DH.

Price:2,155 bucks (ouch!)
Thanks for the info fub -

I hear there were lots of changes for the 2002 - including less weight.