Quantcast

freeweights?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm looking for something easy, not too detailed to help build my upper-body a bit.

I got one of those air balls that I do crunches on -- front, back, and both sides for the middle of my body. I also already own freeweight barbells.

Any suggestions on no more than 5-6 different exercises I could do twice a week that'll hit the most upper-body muscle groups?

I hate exercising :rolleyes: Is there anyway to making lifting as much fun as riding?

J

JRB

I don't know about fun excercising, but I am gonna have a good time laughing at you for doing push ups with a yoga ball.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Get "Better Body Basics" with fitness celebrity John Basedowe!

Seriously though, pushups, pullups, curls with whatever barbells you can handle, skullcrushers and beat on a punching bag for 30 minutes and you'll get ripped.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I can't do pullups any more. Fully dislocated right shoulder and moderately dislocated left shoulder last year and I'm afraid of pulling 'em out of their sockets... which is one reason I'm using light barbells right now.

Skullcrushers?

I don't like punching.

J

JRB

I am actually supposed to go check out the gym tonight. I need to be more fit since I am going to have to start making my rounds kicking people's asses. :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco-gringo said:
I am actually supposed to go check out the gym tonight. I need to be more fit since I am going to have to start making my rounds kicking people's asses. :D
"ju-jutsu? I'm going to learn ju-jutsu?" ~ Neo

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
1)Bench press or flies-- Chest

2)Upright row -- shoulders-neck

3)Good mornings or bent over rows -- back

4)Skullcrushers -- Tri

5)Curl -- bi

6)Front raises or standing fly(?) or military press -- shoulder(don't know how those will work out w/your injury)

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Just remember to start off light because of the shoulder injuries. BUt eventually you'll need to up the weight quite a bit. To get bigger you need to do high weight-low reps. And the opposite to get ripped.

Just go easy so you don't re-injure yourself. And you should have either a spotter or be able to drop the weight without damaging your barbells or floor if need be.

To make your progress faster, just go to GNC and ask them what suplements to take.

I don't take anything, just eat good and I am not getting much bigger. But I could care less about size, I am big enough already.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Opie, remember to eat right. You won't gain an ounce of muscle if you're not taking in enough protein and good complex carbs. Figure 1-1.5 grams of protein per day for every pound of bodyweight.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
thanks God, I'm not looking to get huge. My body is disproportioned... I've got huge rock legs from riding and skinny arms... 12-13"?

and yeah, I'm definitely starting out with light weights. I'm too poor and not motivated enough for supplements. Just want to be overall healthier.

Is there an advantage to having huge arms?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I Are Baboon said:
Opie, remember to eat right. You won't gain an ounce of muscle if you're not taking in enough protein and good complex carbs. Figure 1-1.5 grams of protein per day for every pound of bodyweight.
this is starting to turn into a friggin' job :think:

I wasn't paying attention to my diet but i've recently started eating more veggies and am eating a lot more salmon and tuna... canned and frozen, cuz I'm poor.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Wumpus said:
1)Bench press or flies-- Chest

2)Upright row -- shoulders-neck

3)Good mornings or bent over rows -- back

4)Skullcrushers -- Tri

5)Curl -- bi

6)Front raises or standing fly(?) or military press -- shoulder(don't know how those will work out w/your injury)
if I did a buttload of push-ups, could I eliminate a couple of those?

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
I Are Baboon said:
Good point.

Just eat extra tuna, and chicken and steak doesn't hurt either.

I know a guy who used to eat like 6 cans of tuna a day!

Plain!!!!!

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
LordOpie said:
this is starting to turn into a friggin' job :think:

I wasn't paying attention to my diet but i've recently started eating more veggies and am eating a lot more salmon and tuna... canned and frozen, cuz I'm poor.
Actually, just eating extra protein isn't that hard. Like Heysoos said, eat lots of chicken, steak, and fish (including canned tuna) and you'll get plenty of protein. Protein powders can help too.

When you decide to shed fat and get "ripped" like a couple people mentioned, THEN the diet becomes a real pain in the ass to manage.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
you should start rehabilitating your shoulders first- it'll keep it strong when other workouts rely on it. Start with light weights and work your way up.

LordOpie said:
if I did a buttload of push-ups, could I eliminate a couple of those?
Yes, definitely. In fact, based upon your goals, I would just do a bunch of pushups and see where that gets you. Herschel Walker (Heisman trophy winner, very fit) did no strength training besides pushups and crunches.

LordOpie said:
Is there an advantage to having huge arms?
Probably not. It's a pain to have to prestretch all your t-shirts.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
LordOpie said:
I'm looking for something easy, not too detailed to help build my upper-body a bit.

I got one of those air balls that I do crunches on -- front, back, and both sides for the middle of my body. I also already own freeweight barbells.

Any suggestions on no more than 5-6 different exercises I could do twice a week that'll hit the most upper-body muscle groups?

I hate exercising :rolleyes: Is there anyway to making lifting as much fun as riding?

i got this book called "teaching yourself visually, weight training" ( and the yoga one too) at costco for like 7 dollars. its got tons of excercises for upper and lower body using all kind os different weights. i like it because i am very unlearned in the areas of weight lifting and it spells everything out for you with pictures.

what makes weights almost as fun as riding for me is showing of my muscles when im done. ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Wumpus said:
1)Push-ups -- chest, front of shoulder and triceps

2)bent over rows -- back and biceps

3)Overhead press or bent over flies -- shoulder
Four muscles groups in the upper body -- Chest, Shoulders, Back and Arms.

Chest and triceps are a pushing motion(pushups)

Back and biceps are a pulling motion(rowing)

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Richard Simmons - Sweatin To The Oldies.

Seriously though, I talked to my dad who is a health nut weight lifting type of dude. He recommends any of Joe Weiders books.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Ciaran said:
He recommends any of Joe Weiders books.
thanks, but I absolutely do not want to turn this into a job. I hate lifting as it is.

Wumpus is leading me down the right path.

I have three goals:
-- look better
-- perform better
-- withstand crashes better*

* i actually gave up mtb cuz the last race (14 months ago) i was in, i took an easy fall and felt my shoulder pop. Freeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaked me out. I already have a poppin' knee, don't need no more joints fvcked up more. Plus, i couldn't afford co-pays and ER visits.

as crono said, I'm starting light and easy. Gonna do pushups and such... be like Hershel.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Starting with a pushup/situp regimen is a good way to get going. Just note one thing: you are not Hershel Walker. If you want to gain strength, I think that weight training will give you faster and easier results. For me, doing enough pushups to get a really good workout in is much harder than just going to the gym or something. Then again, I like lifting weights. Sometimes almost as much as I like riding a bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
JRogers said:
Just note one thing: you are not Hershel Walker.
i know, i'm circumsized.

I'm gonna lift, but i'm gonna do a limited routine, something along what Wump's talking about. I mostly want to hit as many muscles with as few routines as possible.

Most of my "lifting" will be done after a ride, so i'll already be warmed up.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
hmm.... I'd look into polymertic training, as in the kind boxers and ju-jitsu guys would do. You don't have to everything, but the techiques and reason for lifting sounds similar. It helps you build strength, endurance and speed. Also take the time to do everything correctly. Its easy to cheat in lifting by taking shortcuts.

Also, even if you ride and run allot certain things will improve those as well.

I have a couple books on this stuff, can't remember the names/authors letting a friend borrow them.

LordOpie said:
i know, i'm circumsized.

I'm gonna lift, but i'm gonna do a limited routine, something along what Wump's talking about. I mostly want to hit as many muscles with as few routines as possible.

Most of my "lifting" will be done after a ride, so i'll already be warmed up.
Not sure if your the type of person who has to eat alot to gain weight or eat very little to keep it off/loose it but what I've found from an ongoing personal experience is that body composition is 85% nutrition 15% excersize. I, unfortunently gain muscle mass easy, it sucks because I have to eat so light and healthy to stay slim. I gain muscle(and FAT) with the slightest amount of food. Some people (who are skinny) wish they had my problem/benifactor however I on the other hand love foooooood, especially pizza and mexican food so for me my choice if we got to choose our metabolism's would be "if only I had the high metabolism" type of body.

From my experience, as well as observing others (friends, family, riding and weight training friends), your body composition is going to be determined primarily upon what goes in. This theory also applies to how your brain functions as well as how you feel on a daily basis.

Excersize is key of course, as it secrets your toxin's and tear's your muscle's so they can rebuild and become defined, but what goes in is more important from what I've learned and read.

Good luck man, it's a never ending struggle... at least for me. Just remember to keep your ultimate goal in mind, that will help you get through the dissappointments as well as the good feelings of achievement which can derail your future progression.

Aug 24, 2004
If you need some more help pm me, I am a personal trainer here at the local Y. I would give ys some info on here right now, but am in a hurry. Don't worry it's free

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
Yeknomedir said:
I, unfortunently gain muscle mass easy, it sucks because I have to eat so light and healthy to stay slim. I gain muscle(and FAT) with the slightest amount of food. Some people (who are skinny) wish they had my problem/benifactor however I on the other hand love foooooood, especially pizza and mexican food so for me my choice if we got to choose our metabolism's would be "if only I had the high metabolism" type of body.

I feel you on that one. I gain muscle way to easily and quickly. I have tendon and ligiment problems cause of this. I had to stop lifting for a while cause my muscles were growing faster then tendon thingies that support them. It got to the point where I could not open a door cause of this. I also seem to lose it as fast. I can gain and lose weight rapidly. I wish I had the high metabolism type.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Grimey said:
hmm.... I'd look into polymertic training, as in the kind boxers and ju-jitsu guys would do.
I've taken jutsu for five years and don't know what that is. Maybe we did it and didn't call it that? What's polymetric?

Thanks WAR and MF.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I Are Baboon said:
... eat right...
Eat less. Nothing visual will change unless you reduce intake.

Only wish I could reduce my eating more, I've stopped stuffing my face after dinner, drinking water only...
Still attemping spot reduction by 1000 crunches every day, but still have a ' kegger stomach. Upper body barbells every other day...
Much stronger, but pretty much still physically look the same.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
ET_SoCal said:
Still attemping spot reduction by 1000 crunches every day, but still have a ' kegger stomach.
haha, no such thing as spot reduction! a friend tried that and it worked a little -- cuz the muscles kept the intestines from pushing out -- so he went nuts! Now he has a huge gut, it's a rock, but it's huge.

Aug 24, 2004
I think he meant plyometric, not polymetric. It's all explosive movements. such as standing long jumps and vertical jumps, sprints and stuff like that, all super fast muscle contractions that build speed strength and cordination. all major college and pro sports team have some sort of plo training with their wieght training programs.