Quantcast

Fresh Pasta Bolognese

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Made fresh pappardelle with bolognese yesterday, got drunk and took a few pics in the process. The sauce is based on Paul Bertoli's method, I used a mix of chuck, veal, pancetta, and chicken livers. The pasta is 50/50 AP and semolina flour with eggs. Friggin tasty.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Goddam - I approve wholeheartedly. :thumb:

Did you make pappardelle because you're lazy or because you don't have a pasta cutter? :D

That reminds me - I really have to make some fresh pasta soon. Morry jg & I made a big batch of linguine for our families and used it for carbonara. :drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
We have a pasta machine with cutters for fettucine and linguine, but I wanted wider noodles for this dish. Cutting by hand was a little more work but always satisfying and the results were worth it. Last night I was lazy and used dried pasta for the leftover sauce - still really good but not the same.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
We have a pasta machine with cutters for fettucine and linguine, but I wanted wider noodles for this dish. Cutting by hand was a little more work but always satisfying and the results were worth it.
More work? I always find pappardelle to be the easiest of all the shapes to make. Have you ever tried using a pizza cutter to make it? Fastest pasta in the West. :cool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
More work? I always find pappardelle to be the easiest of all the shapes to make. Have you ever tried using a pizza cutter to make it? Fastest pasta in the West. :cool:
Easier than running it through the cutting blades on your machine? A pizza cutter would make it a little faster but still not as fast as the machine. Anyway, I don't have a pizza cutter so I do it with a knife. I like how it comes out less than uniform and it's not much work regardless.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Easier than running it through the cutting blades on your machine? A pizza cutter would make it a little faster but still not as fast as the machine. Anyway, I don't have a pizza cutter so I do it with a knife. I like how it comes out less than uniform and it's not much work regardless.
No pizza cutter? Everyone has a pizza cutter.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Easier than running it through the cutting blades on your machine? A pizza cutter would make it a little faster but still not as fast as the machine.
It's absolutely faster than the machine. I roll all the dough out in sheets on the counter then whip it all out with the pizza roller. It comes out with all sorts of odd waves and stuff. I find the cutting phase of my pasta maker to be the fiddliest stage by far... of course, yours may be better than mine. :D

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I just cooked up a big pot of the stuff yesterday, using Marcella's guidance. It is delightful.

OG, I read somewhere that Bertoli makes a broth from oxtail and a bunch of other stuff for his Bolognese. Did you go through with the involved broth process or did you work around it?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just cooked up a big pot of the stuff yesterday, using Marcella's guidance. It is delightful.

OG, I read somewhere that Bertoli makes a broth from oxtail and a bunch of other stuff for his Bolognese. Did you go through with the involved broth process or did you work around it?
Nah I just used store-bought veal stock.