Quantcast

>>>> Friday by the Fireplace GTM >>>>

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Mornings ng. Boy is sick, wife is sick, and I work tonight. I am sure I will end up sick along the way.

So coffee is in, waiting for it to work. Then I will head to REI for a new set of ski poles since I broke one and they are too short for me anyways. Xmas present wrapping has been in full effect for little man and the wife. Most of my stuff isn't going to see the wrapping process as I am in need of it now. First "present" should be here tomorrow, new hakka Bros sausage stuffer. Will start off with some pepper jack venison bratwurst. Will also end up making some proper hot dogs along the way as well. Homemade kielbasa's, breakfast links, you name it..... Homemade so much better.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Working on a project plan that is a raging dumpster fire. Boss has no experience with such things and is asking for straight up bizarre documentation and methodology to complete it. Also demands that it is based on a consensus of a group. Group consists of such disparate opinions that hours are spent arguing minutia. I could have single handedly put something together myself but have no time because I am spending countless hours in long meetings trying to design something via committee. Am at the limit of my patience.
I am inheriting a massive dumpster fire project that was run by a different BU who are surrendering their R&D and technical product management to us. I am going to kill most of the incredibly stupid processes as soon as I have the time to focus my Sauron's eye on them. Product leadership isn't a democracy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My Dollar Tree score:

I was looking for safety pins and it jumped out at me. I gave it to Lil Man and a week later a co-worker bought me one when he saw it. So I colored the wheels and tail lights to make it a bit closer to the real thing. It does ok on the track, the '69 COPO is still the best.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I got a 10K race to run tomorrow but we're supposed to get 6" of snow. I'll stay home and just do a training run if it's snowing when I wake up. I want to race for time, not placement, so I won't waste my time if it's snowing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The best part is half the people involved don't understand the equipment we are working with. It is not that they are dumb, but they have just never bothered to go down on the floor to look at it, or opened any of the drawings. Doesn't stop them from forming strong opinions though.
We have a "Technical Review Board" here that is made up of middle managers who have no technical background. So long as your documentation is in order, you are approved. Never mind the fact that the As-Build diagram looks nothing like what was actually built. But it looks pretty.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If she doesn't choose bike upgrades, you failed her. Then the monkies will have to take over and learn her correctly!
She can't ride her bike right now because of the broken arm, so it's not high on her list. Plus I pay for bike things.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Headed down to NYC for the weekend.
Will be sure to swing thru Leona NJ en route.
Mmmm... these sort of shenanigans, should they catch on, should accelerate the autonomous car effort. :brows:

Working on a project plan that is a raging dumpster fire. Boss has no experience with such things and is asking for straight up bizarre documentation and methodology to complete it. Also demands that it is based on a consensus of a group. Group consists of such disparate opinions that hours are spent arguing minutia. I could have single handedly put something together myself but have no time because I am spending countless hours in long meetings trying to design something via committee. Am at the limit of my patience.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Mmmm... these sort of shenanigans, should they catch on, should accelerate the autonomous car effort. :brows:

You and your autonomous car love.
What’s that old programming adage, garbage in, garbage out?
If people are programming those things my money’s on them driving like autonomous assholes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Around here people prefer democratic decisions that way if things go wrong they can't be blamed. IDGAF if I get blamed for shit, I'd rather have it work properly the first time.
As a "Validation Engineer", this is also my concern. One of our Guiding Behaviors is accountability, of which nobody has any here. The blamestorming seasons are epic, though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
As a "Validation Engineer", this is also my concern. One of our Guiding Behaviors is accountability, of which nobody has any here. The blamestorming seasons are epic, though.
I got to write my own job description at my job in Cleveland. One of my roles was "fall guy". Was confident enough in my decisions to be willing to accept blame in failures, even if they weren't my own doing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You should see the "roadmap slides" I am submitting for the CEO to review each month. :crazy:
:rofl: I have had a "create roadmap" task on my backlog for a while now. We had a project called "The 2020 vision" that was a technology roadmap from 2010 planning for changed leading into 2020. They spent 8 years on who knows what, now they have started the "Beyond 2020" project that will last who knows how long.

Who in any sort of IT organization tries to plan out 10 years ahead? As if the technologies we have today will for sure be the latest and greatest in 10 years. :panic:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You and your autonomous car love.
What’s that old programming adage, garbage in, garbage out?
If people are programming those things my money’s on them driving like autonomous assholes.

I am at work. 8 AM-10 PM. Gotta pay the bills.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Has anyone got the normal brake mount for an Avid/SRAM brake gathering dust they don't need? Not the newer X kind they use on their higher end brakes.
I need to get rid of the matchmaker on this but I only have some of the same old matchmakers in my parts, not just the brake mount...

20171208_095650_resized.jpg

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Has anyone got the normal brake mount for an Avid/SRAM brake gathering dust they don't need? Not the newer X kind they use on their higher end brakes.
I need to get rid of the matchmaker on this but I only have some of the same old matchmakers in my parts, not just the brake mount...

View attachment 127227
Yes. I have a set of Juicy's that I should just throw away and you can have their clamps - the back 'C'.They are grey though.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
holy shit weather turd said maybe an inch of snow if that. Currently pouring snow and already got about 6”. So much for riding in the next several days. If only I had a fat b.. oh wait never mind. I guess I’ll treat the hot tub as my bong shed today and watch this white crap fall from the heavens.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
holy shit weather turd said maybe an inch of snow if that. Currently pouring snow and already got about 6”. So much for riding in the next several days. If only I had a fat b.. oh wait never mind. I guess I’ll treat the hot tub as my bong shed today and watch this white crap fall from the heavens.

Oh wait...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm sure the skiing/boarding CO monkey's won't complain if you send it back west.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
so cool I came home for lunch and my wife gave me an early birthday present. Early Birthday Present
Columbia Outdry EX Diamond Down Parka: waterproof , Breathable out shell with pit zips, powder skirt full attached hood 800 fill goose down