Quantcast

***Friderp GMT***

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'm constantly telling the mgmt/directorships that we're out of capacity. Storage, compute, you name it - if it's capacity, we're out of it.

@6thElement - how do you guys generally address capacity issues?
The level of asshattery that I deal with would make you question your career choice on an hourly basis. Systems are generally specced for a ~5 year cycle with constant growth during that time so there generally aren't too many capacity surprises for my industry.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The level of asshattery that I deal with would make you question your career choice on an hourly basis. Systems are generally specced for a ~5 year cycle with constant growth during that time so there generally aren't too many capacity surprises for my industry.
So are they purchased with the capacity at the outset? i.e. you buy storage infrastructure with current+5y growth in mind? Or do you just plan on purchasing *as* you grow to address capacity? Capacity-on-demand type decisions?

Here it *appears* that they buy with 5y lifespan in mind, but ONLY for current capacity without any budget/plan whatsoever for growth. Despite the fact that everyone KNOWS that growth is going to happen...

:mad:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This wind is brutal! On the upside, I’m at the train station, homeward-bound. Shuttle on campus, two short train hops, a bus, and a 10 min walk: transit isn’t simple.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So are they purchased with the capacity at the outset? i.e. you buy storage infrastructure with current+5y growth in mind? Or do you just plan on purchasing *as* you grow to address capacity? Capacity-on-demand type decisions?

Here it *appears* that they buy with 5y lifespan in mind, but ONLY for current capacity without any budget/plan whatsoever for growth. Despite the fact that everyone KNOWS that growth is going to happen...

That sounds exactly how they plan and build roads around here. :rofl:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

Procured with the capacity to meet the needs of the 5 years. Probably very static compared to what you work with system wise.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Procured with the capacity to meet the needs of the 5 years. Probably very static compared to what you work with system wise.
The thing that drives me crazy is that growth is pretty easy to demonstrate... you know, with *data* - and yet, decisions continue to be made that appear to completely ignore the data.

It's like a simple graph like this is indecipherable to those with the hands on the money-sack:

chart.jpg

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
The thing that drives me crazy is that growth is pretty easy to demonstrate... you know, with *data* - and yet, decisions continue to be made that appear to completely ignore the data.

It's like a simple graph like this is indecipherable to those with the hands on the money-sack:

View attachment 128190
Sounds like someone downstream is paid not for increasing revenues but by eliminating costs? :think:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

View attachment 128190
Of course it's indecipherable, there are no label or units for the Y-axis.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Shit my boss just made my blood boil. Gotta love managers who are too weak to resist illogical requests from others and instead, channel them directly on you. :butcher:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
got wore the eff out on a 27 mile ride in the mountains. not even all that much climbing but dang, i’m apparently not in the best of shape. pic at the start of raiders (for nc monkeys who know) where the “no bikes” sticker has “mysteriously” been replaced by a bikes allowed sticker. 60* and sunny. other than lots of downfall that needs to be cleared, excellent conditions. beers afterwards, of course.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
got wore the eff out on a 27 mile ride in the mountains. not even all that much climbing but dang, i’m apparently not in the best of shape. pic at the start of raiders (for nc monkeys who know) where the “no bikes” sticker has “mysteriously” been replaced by a bikes allowed sticker. 60* and sunny. other than lots of downfall that needs to be cleared, excellent conditions. beers afterwards, of course.
Nice bikes. :brows:

I'm constantly telling the mgmt/directorships that we're out of capacity. Storage, compute, you name it - if it's capacity, we're out of it.

@6thElement - how do you guys generally address capacity issues?
Blame the users.

View attachment 128190
Ee to the kay tee dollars?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
~25mph wind = no riding, other than the DJ up and down the road messing about.