Quantcast

Front derailler with a 110 spaced crank

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Someone was telling me that I need to have a XTR to run a 110 crank. Is this true? Can I just use my XT? Thanks
Did this someone work at a shop? A sales guy maybe?

Try your XT and make sure the outside cage has 2-3mm clearance above the big ring when upshifting. As I recall they have the same shifting path, the XTR just has a WAY snappier return spring.

Make sure your rings are properly spaced too!

Good luck

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I was checking the other day in the Shimano product manual and it shows that XT and XTR have the exact same requirements, capacities etc. If XT works so will XTR and vice versa. But I did read at one time that XT compact front derailleurs and XTR standard drive were not compatible. I always thought that this was bunk because there is little difference between ring sizes. So yeah the XT will work like a champ. Mine is all bent up so I have to replace it. Second time this year too.

ZOG

Chimp
Feb 25, 2002
CT
With my 110mm (standard size) cranks I have used XT and LX
and they all work alike.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by oldfart
I was checking the other day in the Shimano product manual and it shows that XT and XTR have the exact same requirements, capacities etc. If XT works so will XTR and vice versa. But I did read at one time that XT compact front derailleurs and XTR standard drive were not compatible. I always thought that this was bunk because there is little difference between ring sizes. So yeah the XT will work like a champ. Mine is all bent up so I have to replace it. Second time this year too.
Thats only for the E-type front derailleur, cause its fixed in one position only. Normal front derailleurs you can move up and down to accomidate most any chainring size.