Quantcast

Front derailleur

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
ok, I can figure out top and bottom pull...obviously just which way the cable is run, from the top or bottom.
But then there's this whole 'top swing/bottom swing' issue...
see, I'm going through a whole upgrade to XT on my hardtail (I know I know, probably cheaper to buy a whole new bike, but I'm already 2/3 of the way done, it's too late to stop...plus I like it)....ummmm, where was I? Oh, that's right....so how do I know if my FD is top or bottom swing? Is there an advantage to one or the other?
I'll be replacing the bottom bracket/crankset too...are there issues with compatibility there?
Anything I haven't mentioned that I should be concerned with?

Will_Jekyll

CUSTOM Chimp
Aug 10, 2001
Superior,CO
I'm pretty sure top swing bottom swing refers where to cages pivot point is located. Best thing to do is take you FD off go to your bike shop and tell them you want the equivalent XT model.

B-Loco

Chimp
Aug 13, 2001
South Florida
Krustee -

I have an XT topswing I need to get rid of. Never used it - bought the wrong size when i was building up my bike and I missed the 30-day return policy from jensonusa because I waited to long for all the rest of my parts to get in.

I'll see what size it is and would be happy to sell it to you.

R

RideMonkey

Most frames can use either top or bottom swing. Some full suspension bikes will only work with bottom swing.

Top swing deraileurs are known to be more durable and I think they are lighter. I'd go with the top swing if you can find one that is the correct clamp diameter/pull direction for your bike.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by B-Loco
Krustee -

I have an XT topswing I need to get rid of. Never used it - bought the wrong size when i was building up my bike and I missed the 30-day return policy from jensonusa because I waited to long for all the rest of my parts to get in.

I'll see what size it is and would be happy to sell it to you.
Cool, thanks both of you!
B-loco: mine is a bottom-pull, 1-1/4" (31.8 mm) tube.

If that's what you've got, let me know what you want for it.
Thanks again.
:D

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
The whole ts/bs, tp/bp/tradp is confusing even for people who deal with it daily. Jekyl has the best advice. Just take your FD to your lbs and ask them to get the right model for you. That will also elliminate the possibility of getting the wrong diameter piece as well. Also, most frames can use many versions of a derailleur but what type of crankset you are using (spacing issues) and the placement of the fd can affect which one will actually SHIFT on your bike. Its always best to use the type Shimano recommends with your rig. Confused yet? Yeah, I hate all the versions too.