Quantcast

Fruita in April?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Trying to plan a long weekend riding in April. Should I avoid the Fat Tire Festival or is that actually a good time to go? I don't want to be there with trails closed for some event.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I don't know about you but when I ride, I like to be w/ a small group of buds and not have to deal w/ other riders, potentially being idiots on the trail. I've only seen a handful of ppl ever who'd pull over and stop when meeting a climber on a trail.
April is still questionable as far as weather goes so I'd recommend a motel/hotel vs camping. They don't get much snow that way, but the night temps can be pretty low.
Are you flying out from Mass for a long weekend? If you are, I think Southwest flys into GJT. From there, Fruita is only 9 miles west. Get your hotel in G Junction and drive to trailheads. I think the Beast was originally from that area, give him a shout.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
April is generally good. It will be cooler, and you have more chance of messed up weather, but it is dry out there for a reason. It was a sunny day, even though they predicted rain.

I was just there yesterday (Day triping from Golden). We did the Ribbon, Eagleswing, Holycross in the Junction area, and then Mary's-horsetheif later in the afternoon.

My suggestions.

Stay in the LaQuinta Inn in Fruita. Its central to all riding (road 18 area, Loma exit, and Grand Junction trails). They have good rates, its fairly new, and working hot tubs/pools.

For Camping, Colorado River State Park is nearby Fruita.... power is available. Highline State Park is a quieter place, especially if you're tent camping it. no power available there. Its also 10 miles or so away from the city/town scene.

As for the Festival, it depends on you. If you want mtn biking fun and partying combined with crowds, go for it. Otherwise, I say stay the heck away from that weekend... you'll have less traffic on trails, period.

I'm going the weekend before the festival with two others from this group. We take the families out with us, but do manage to get a few rides in.

Camping and hotels book up, so make your reservations earlier than later if you do plan on going during the festival.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
SkaredShtles said:
As Ascentrek said - go during festival if you don't mind 14,000 of your closest friends riding with you on the trails.
The Kokopelli trailhead can get crowded but once you're on the actual trails around Fruita and GJ I've never had a problem with them being crowded during the Fest. I'm someone who hates crowded trails as well.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
justsomeguy said:
The Kokopelli trailhead can get crowded but once you're on the actual trails around Fruita and GJ I've never had a problem with them being crowded during the Fest. I'm someone who hates crowded trails as well.
What the Hell are all the festival goers doing then? :think:

I'll bet they're drinking! :thumb:

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I have found that when you get a large group of riders together they spend more time chatting then riding. Mix beer into the equation and you might aswell leave the bikes at home.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SkaredShtles said:
What the Hell are all the festival goers doing then? :think:

I'll bet they're drinking! :thumb:
...and prolly that crap beer called "Fat Tire".... Oh gawd the horrible tasting well marketed beer.