Quantcast

Full body/up onto neck tattoos: Too scumbag?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not true anymore....they changed the policy a bit ago to meet recruiting goals. I think hand and neck tattoos are allowed now (at least for the Army).
No hand or neck tattoos without a waiver and ZERO obscene tattoo's anywhere. They say no to a lot of tattoos and you can get discharged for tattoos once you are signed.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I knew my wife should have gotten more ink before she took her Lt. oath...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Call me crazy, but I don't think that the general populous would hire an attorney with tattoos on their neck. Right or wrong, it's the perception.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Thankfully I am no longer practicing.
Yes, I understand some day I may need to go back to that soul draining whore mother of an occupation, but that day, barring unforseen circumstance, is a long, long way off.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
The original question was more of a perception question. Neck tattoos are perceived as scumbaggy by like 99% of everybody. They emulate prison ink. You don't get them because you want people to perceive you as a demure ****ing flower.
Yup.

Despite how you all (not Laura) think the world should work, this is the way it does work.

You have visible tatoos, no matter what they are, and you limit your job opportunities. Period.

Whether or not someone is a scumbag is a matter of personal opinion, but as Laura said, to most people, if you have visible tattoos, especially neck tats, then you are a scumbag.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
neck tattoos aren't necessarily scumbag... depends on what the tattoo is and who its on. Take my friend Will's former neighbor. He has a giant "420" tattooed across his throat. I say former neighbor because he's now in jail for b&e and grand larceny :rofl:

But then again, some people could definitely pull it off and not be considered a scumbag. If the person in question was say, a custom hot rod builder, and the neck tattoo was something hot rod / car related, then it would make sense, and more than likely be considered acceptable in that industry.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
i rode up on a lift last year with some dude who skis and snowboards (and started skiing before snowboarding).

guess what he rides on powder days? :rofl:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's the nice thing about the Tahoe/Reno area.

I can ride my bike and snowboard in the winter. Its nice.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Teach the kids what? Snowboarding? I don't know anything about that abominable sport. :disgust1:
:stupid:

Can't wait till my soon to be here kiddo is big enough to ski. That's something I am really looking forward to. I learned when I was 4. I wonder if she'll be able to handle it at 3. :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There was an article recently talking about new rules around the country concerning visible tattoos on fireman and teachers. Neck tattoos are especially bad. A lot of employers in a lot of industries look down on visible tattoos.

My boss (VP of engineering) has his full back and chest done, but none of it is visible with a t-shirt. He and I have talked about it because my brother owns Staircase Tattoo in Santa Cruz and has done some incredible back pieces.

I have no tattoos, but I'm not a huge fan of neck, face, hands. If I ever got anything done, it would be concealed. But that's just me.
Who's your brother? Staircase owns.

Paul@Staircase pierced my ears and eyebrow a couple months ago...small world. I'm thinking about getting some ink done by one of their artists when I have the money to do it.

i've been eating cafeteria food since august.

:plthumbsdown:
HC getting you down, boy? Go drown your sorrows in some Molcha Salsa...it'll make everything better.

Last edited:

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I grew up skiing, did the whole racer thing, then got busted up pretty bad. Stopped skiing all together.

'Bout a year later I picked up snowboarding (15 when it was still outlaw) and I've never looked back. I was a pretty decent little powder ripper on my skies, but now my big Ride Timeless and a big powder day is as close to god as I will ever known.

Back on topic...

I think the thing with doing a neck or hand tattoo is a commitment to the life you want to live. Full sleeves, all of that, are a commitment to a lifestyle some folk just out of hand will reject. I think for me the issue comes down to what I am comfortable with, because I don't really buy into the idea of doing ink and then having it lazed off. Just goes against my principals.

And that's where I am at with the whole thing. Other then working as an attorney for the HA's, local tattoo shops and for crazy friends who are working towards a massive divorce, I am not sure who would want a neck tattooed attorney. I still haven't decided if I am ever going back to that whore mother of a profession, so for the time being I am shelving the idea of tattooing my neck.

This winter I am sticking to tattooing my legs and my back. I can still hide those.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i gotta say no to neck tats my brothers and I were talking about this over the weekend funny a saw this thread. My 1 brother and I both have work done but it is concealable, mine is on my ribs my brother has some arm stuff done.

I think the words came out of our mouths ' if you have neck tats you are a scumbag'

id go with something you can cover up