Quantcast

Full SRAM drivetrain for 2005!

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Ya I saw that a few days ago...stoked to see the front Derailleur...hope it works on my 5-spot so both my trail and DH bike can be Shimanoless..:thumb:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm using a SRAM 9.0 front derailer. It's good. It is both top and bottom pull.

I haven't heard any news on the SRAM cranks and bottom brackets, parts that I consider to be "tranmission"....

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
There have been SRAM/ Sachs Rear deraileurs since at least '97. I noticed that Cambria was blowing out the last batch at like, $7 a piece. I hate all front deraileurs, but i would go so far as saying the Sram fd's I had in the late nineties were some of the worst. The new x-series deraileur looks like it would be stiffer, and develop less play than the old ones at least...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I like the SRAM front D that I use. The outer screw actually adjusts the outer limit, and the inner screw adjusts the inner limit. It's actually logical (unlike shimano stuff). The adjustments also make a much bigger difference (range) than shimano, as well as it shifts well, is lighter than a comprable shimano shifter, and cheaper. It also won't scratch a frame with the plastic-mount. Back when these things were available I wasn't a big fan of the rear derailers, but they had the front derailer nailed. Also being bottom or top pull is a good feature.

Yanick

Chimp
Sep 11, 2001
Laval, Qc.
Tweek said:
What about a reliable cassette similar to XT? I've only heard bad news about SRAM cassettes. They could make a lotta $$$ if they could produce one and sell it for what XTs went for a year ago.

What? Sram Cassette and even more their chains are better than shimano xt Level, use Sram for a long time now and very happy with it

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have a sram powerglide II 990 cassette, it's ok, not bad, not the smoothest I've ever used.

Can't say the same for their chains though :rolleyes:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Thanks JM...I really didn't know they had released a front derailleur at one point! Cool..

Rock: No pics since I don't have a digital camera anymore :( when/if I get a new camera, I'll post some pics.

Threepointtwo

Monkey
Jun 21, 2002
SLC, UT
I'm running one of those SRAM front derailleurs. It is the old Sachs design. Kind of cheap looking and mostly plastic but it works fine.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Acadian said:
you heard me right! :thumb: most recent addition to the stable! :love:

Congrats, how much did it weigh?

no 5-spot, but here is my new addition too..... you had asked me in the past what i was getting.

BTW, only Sh!tmano is the front deore derailler.....

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
SuspectDevice said:
There have been SRAM/ Sachs Rear deraileurs since at least '97. I noticed that Cambria was blowing out the last batch at like, $7 a piece. I hate all front deraileurs, but i would go so far as saying the Sram fd's I had in the late nineties were some of the worst. The new x-series deraileur looks like it would be stiffer, and develop less play than the old ones at least...
Yeah, for a while there when E-types came out and Sram was making junk too, you couldn't find a decent FD. I remember I was running a Deore from '93 on my XC bike and loving it for quite some time.

Sram R9 road cassettes and chains shift really nice IMO, my only b*tch would be how tight the cassette fits on the freehub body of my Razor Rock, but I'm sure its probably different on a another hub.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I have one of the old 9.0s as well. The biggest advantage is if you have two rings and a bashguard you can set the limit screws to stop it shifting onto the bashguard. I had to replace it with a shimano when I changed frame and it doesn't have enough adjustment to stop accidental shifts onto the bashring.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ssaddict said:
Sram R9 road cassettes and chains shift really nice IMO, my only b*tch would be how tight the cassette fits on the freehub body of my Razor Rock, but I'm sure its probably different on a another hub.
ditto..I have a Road cassette on the DHR and I'm very pleased with it.

my only gripe with SRAM is that (for me at least) it's a bitch to take the rear wheel off!! If I take the chain off it's easier, but with the chain on it's a pain in the ass!! Especially if you have a bigger rotor on the back (hits on the chainstay when trying to re-insert the wheel in the dropouts)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
oly said:
Congrats, how much did it weigh?

no 5-spot, but here is my new addition too..... you had asked me in the past what i was getting.

BTW, only Sh!tmano is the front deore derailler.....
sweet ride..looks very similar to the spot!

will try to weigh it tonight...will let you know.

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Acadian said:
ditto..I have a Road cassette on the DHR and I'm very pleased with it.

my only gripe with SRAM is that (for me at least) it's a bitch to take the rear wheel off!! If I take the chain off it's easier, but with the chain on it's a pain in the ass!! Especially if you have a bigger rotor on the back (hits on the chainstay when trying to re-insert the wheel in the dropouts)
Have you tried pulling the body of the Der. towards the back of the bike and sliding the rear wheel downward, or does the cassette still hit the upper pulley? Have you tried removing it while the chain is on the large cog?

I haven't used Sram Der. in years but I do remember them being sort of tricky since they don't rock back like Shimano's do.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
ssaddict said:
Have you tried pulling the body of the Der. towards the back of the bike and sliding the rear wheel downward, or does the cassette still hit the upper pulley? Have you tried removing it while the chain is on the large cog?

I haven't used Sram Der. in years but I do remember them being sort of tricky since they don't rock back like Shimano's do.
tried on the big, small and middle cog...From behind the bike, I rotate the der backward and slide the wheel down and forward - but it's still a bitch...the cassette hits the rear mech..

if I take the chain off...I can literally slide the wheel out the back without moving a thing.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The new LX (also on that link for the new SRAM) looks good! It looks like XT. As far as SRAM goes, the 30º angle for the front trigger sounds like an improvement to me (more ergonomic), maybe I will try this "crap" after all. but now that Shimano has announced they will keep rapid-fire triggers for XT/Saint...probably not.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Acadian said:
tried on the big, small and middle cog...From behind the bike, I rotate the der backward and slide the wheel down and forward - but it's still a bitch...the cassette hits the rear mech..

if I take the chain off...I can literally slide the wheel out the back without moving a thing.
I completely agree. I can't get the wheel out of my DH-9 without deflating the tire. I'd risk bending the derailleur if I just yanked it out; and yes I pull the der. back as much as possible.

Small price to pay for the positive shifting quality! :thumb:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What's so bad about shimano? I'm very happy with rapidfire shifter, rear mechs and cassettes - what makes sram "better"?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
- seb said:
What's so bad about shimano? I'm very happy with rapidfire shifter, rear mechs and cassettes - what makes sram "better"?
well for one the rear mechs appears to be a tad stronger...

I use X9 and X.0 rear mech on both my trail bike and DH bike...best upgrade I've done to my DH bike in a while!

The 1:1 ratio is great and I think the amount you have to push for each gear is reduced with the SRAM shifters.

The gear indicator is also better than my old Shimano - less prone to break and not in the say of my brake levers (I like to run my shifter between my brake and grip)

The SRAM derailleurs don't slap on the chainstay like Shimano.

I always hated Shimano derailleurs because of that bolt (that holds the cable) sticking out on the side...I was constantly bending them after hitting rocks, rending the derailleur useless. Then when trying to unbend it, it would break Plus it's got straight cable entry..no more cable loops on the back to get stuck in branches.

Setting up the rear derailleur is a breeze!! Very easy!!

Did I mention the SRAM gets brownie points for the "cool" factor? ;)

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall reading a article about SRAM vs Shimano and the SRAM drivetrain was lighter.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Acadian said:
well for one the rear mechs appears to be a tad stronger...
Never had a problem with that. Well, not entirely true - I used to, but I don't these days for some reaon, probably mainly down to running shorter-caged mechs.

Acadian said:
The 1:1 ratio is great and I think the amount you have to push for each gear is reduced with the SRAM shifters.
1:1 I can see is better, means you have more cable movement so takes more grime to mess yoru gears up, right?

Acadian said:
The gear indicator is also better than my old Shimano - less prone to break and not in the say of my brake levers (I like to run my shifter between my brake and grip)
Dunno, took mine off a long time ago (I also run my shifter outside of the brake lever).

Acadian said:
The SRAM derailleurs don't slap on the chainstay like Shimano.
My XT mech doesn't seem to slap on my DHi now you mention it, but I have become used to strapping a bit of innertube to my hardtail to stop this, yes :)

Acadian said:
Plus it's got straight cable entry..no more cable loops on the back to get stuck in branches.
Never caught mine on anything, but I agree that is better, much neater.

Acadian said:
Setting up the rear derailleur is a breeze!! Very easy!!
It's hardly rocket science on shimano :)

Acadian said:
I'm not 100% sure, but I recall reading a article about SRAM vs Shimano and the SRAM drivetrain was lighter.
Sold! :love: ;)

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Tweek said:
That's typical of the "positive" responses I hear. :D
I actually prefer my SRAM 9.0 cassette to the XT I had on my bike. To me it feels like it shifts much more precisely. Also, I've bent several XT cassettes, (I know, I have bad shift skills), but the 9.0 has been solid.

Tweek said:
Really? I've rarely had a problem with SRAM chains -- 1 break in 4 years/9 chains. The only Shimano chain I had broke 3 times in 4 rides.
I've had the same experience, the SRAM chains have been very reliable. I kept breaking Shimano chains all the time but I have yet to break a SRAM chain the past three years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
that's because the shimano chains that are around these days aren't the same ones that were around back then

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Jm_ said:
that's because the shimano chains that are around these days aren't the same ones that were around back then
That may be the case but if a product keeps failing on me and I find another product that works better then I'll stick with it. I'm not a Shimano hater, I still use Rapid Fire and Shimano Derailleurs, but the SRAM chains worked much better for me so I have no reason to switch back. Same reason I haven't switched to SRAM triggers, my Rapid Fire and XT derailleurs have been very reliable so unless they stop making Rapid Fire I'll stick with it.