Quantcast

Fully Rigid for Jumping

jayfrizzo

Chimp
Apr 22, 2004
SLC
I *do* have a boner for dirt jumping, but that's not what this thread's about.

This winter I rebuilt my 10-year-old 24" and turned it into a single speed. (Gratuitous Show-off Link)

Now I need a new fork. I blew the seal on my Psylo again and am looking for something that can handle my fat, unsmoove self.

I was thinking one of the Marz Dirt Jumpers or Sherman Jumper, but then I saw this, a 20mm Rigid (!)
http://unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=120

I’d probably also get these to drop my bars a little and give me some sweep to help the wrists (currently on 4” straight bars).
http://unrealcycles.com/item.php?view=104

What say you? I know rigid works for BMX but does it work for bigger bikes (24, 26)? I'm not worried about handling -- the fork is corrected to mimic a 4" travel bike.

I'm riding park and trails (Tanner Park and Park City DJs, Utah), and maybe some mountain-style jumps (more long that steep, like I-Street, Utah.)

Hmmm, HMMMMM...I'll probably opt for the Marz...

Thanks,
J-

PS: I searched around and found some stuff on the topic but nothing specific to my needs.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
that 20mm rigid fork looks pretty sweet, probably a bit lighter than a marz dj.

If you ride park and trails, i think rigid is ok. Just no love if you dont land the most proper. I've had my front fork save me from endo's before, by sucking up and taking the hit when i nosed in a bit much. i ride a fox vanilla 125r. I had a djIII but opted for the fox as its almost 3 lbs. lighter than the djIII.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Shocks... Pegs... Lucky!

I'm gonna try rigid for a while, but I'm gonna do more trail riding. I'll let you know how it works out.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Some of the best UK dirt jumpers are moving to rigid forks on 24" bikes now. DMR make 'trailblade' rigid forks specifically designed for DJ - They are designed to take account of removal of suspension.

jayfrizzo

Chimp
Apr 22, 2004
SLC
Changleen said:
Some of the best UK dirt jumpers are moving to rigid forks on 24" bikes now.
I'm not one of the best UK dirt jumpers, sadly. Given my last day at the jumps, casing the front a couple times and not dying, being shot off the top of one double into a boulder field, and other such problems, I think I need the forgiveness of suspension. Even with it I'm barely making it home unbroken.

Now...Sherman Jumper or Marz Dirt Jumper? Hrmmmmmm...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sherman. Although I dislike Manitou very much, the DJ'er series is way too heavy IMO. You may also want to look at the Marzocchi MX series. They're similar to Fox Vanilla's, but they're stronger and feel better.

jayfrizzo

Chimp
Apr 22, 2004
SLC
hucker13 said:
Sherman. Although I dislike Manitou very much, the DJ'er series is way too heavy IMO. You may also want to look at the Marzocchi MX series. They're similar to Fox Vanilla's, but they're stronger and feel better.
Thanks, hucker. Let me know how the rigid works out for you.

J-

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
On my azonic evolution, I have a DIrt jumper II '03 with 5 inches. I run it with like 25 psi, its not much, but it came with a stiff spring (For 2 months, I didn't know that it had air assist, I thought the plastic caps were for looks). I run it stiff enough to keep front lowering alot but it still work for trails and light freeriding.

I wouldn't get a ridged because I am not smooth enough and it has saved me when coming up too long on a jump with my front wheel lower than the rear.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I rode rigid for a while when I was saving up for a bike. I took my little sister's 24" mountain bike, put V-Brakes on it, and turned it into a single speed. In a few weeks, I got to be a much better rider. I did a 5 or 6" drop on it towards the end of my ownership of that bike and it seemed like nothing. That is because I learned to be smooth. At first, though, I hated riding it. It seemed scary. If you stick with it for a while, you'll get to be a lot better.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I personally think rigid is best for DJ's.
Suspension compresses and then acts like a spring and potentially throwing you off and causing an over shoot of the DJ or maybe just throwing off your balance. After watching for several hours or so of Riding at Angel Fire on the MX course (Which Jumps were like DJ's), I am convinced that Rigid is a better way to go for DJ's and in certain MX cases if the track is smooth that a Fully Rigid bike is better. Especially if you already come from a BMX Racing back ground. Just my .02 :D

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
after riding both rigid and suspention, my vote goes for suspention forks, because if they are setup stiff enough, they wont mess with your rythem or ant thing. in fact if you ride them right you can actually pump through the rythems better. the suspention can also same you if you screw up, it there to give a little bit of give so you and your bike dont get messed up.

also, imo, the marzocchi dj forks are in fact heavier, but once its on the bike, you can hardly, if even tell a difference (in weight) between it and a lighter fork.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
dirtjumpP.1 said:
also, imo, the marzocchi dj forks are in fact heavier, but once its on the bike, you can hardly, if even tell a difference (in weight) between it and a lighter fork.

dirtjump, i'm gonna have to disagree with you. I ran a djIII on my bike for a couple months, and switched to my fox vanilla (3 lb diff.) since. There has been a huge difference in the way my bike feels and rides. My front end comes up alot easier for wheelies and on dj's. Instead of nosing in on everything like i did with the dj, i can control when i nose in, and when i dont nose in. If that makes no sense, i'll just say that i was surprised the difference it made, cause i thought that it wouldnt make much of a diff. either.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
it was a mz... even worse! it doesnt have that similar of a feel, its linear and stiff, thats about it. the dj is way stronger and better preforming... not to mention lke 3 lbs heavier

jayfrizzo

Chimp
Apr 22, 2004
SLC
art vandelay said:
Rigid. Cheap, light, low maintenace and they really do force you to become a bit smoother.
Yeah, dude, but don't you ride BMX? I think Hev was onto something with the whole size thing.

Though if I don't find a fork to buy in a week I'll just go rigid cause I can afford it.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
I have that fork, the Funn rigid, and I like it. It is unbelievably stiff, and will hold up to anything. A good choice if youre going the rigid path.
For some reason I am sticking with my Marz DJ though, its just a little more comfort on the wrists. Sure its not as good at pumping in between the jumps, but it will save your @$$ a lot if you're still learning (can you say nose case?)
plus you still feel like youre staying true to the mtb thang, not trying to be a bmx wannabe
which leads me to my next point; if you want mad skills, try a bmx, they are small and squirrelly, hard to control when ur used to the big wheels, but they'll make you a better rider
or just ride hard with what youve got, whatev

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
One of the benefits of rigid is that you can throw a suspension fork on later and not have to get used to a different bike, unlike switching from BMX to MTB.

JTVW

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
somewhere hot
Bicyclist said:
One of the benefits of rigid is that you can throw a suspension fork on later and not have to get used to a different bike, unlike switching from BMX to MTB.
whatver, talk to my hand...

art vandelay

Chimp
Aug 28, 2004
Golden, CO
jayfrizzo said:
Yeah, dude, but don't you ride BMX? I think Hev was onto something with the whole size thing.

Though if I don't find a fork to buy in a week I'll just go rigid cause I can afford it.
Yeah I do ride a 20", but I know tons of people riding cruisers. I've only ridden one at the track and I really didn't feel the whole movement thing hev was talking about, but what he said does make sense. I'm not sure how big your bike is, but the 24" bikes I've been on weren't too much bigger than my bmx. I ride a pretty big bmx since I'm 6'4". I don't think I'd buy rigid without trying one cause you could really hate it.