Quantcast

fun w/ wine

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so this past week i was down @ my in-laws, and i decided to do a bit of a taste test. last time i bought 3 different wines at 3 different price points, but of the same grape and vintage (merlot, 2 from CA and one from WA). the object was to see if we could determine which wine was cheapest, mid-range, and most expensive, and also choose our favorite. everyone did like the most expensive (kendall-jackson reserve), but the cheapest wine (columbia crest) clearly beat out the mid-priced (clos pegase).

this time, i wanted to buy wines of the same approximate price (around $20 a bottle), and of the same grape, but from different countries. so i chose syrah/shiraz, and found wines from australia, france, and the US. the same objectives applied. my father-in-law and i easily figured out the aussie wine, but i didn't get the US/French (although in retrospect i should have gotten it right; he did). people's favorites varied though (john and and i liked the peter lehman, my wife liked the Frei bros, and my mom-in-law liked the Perrin)

anyone else play around w/ blind tastings? it's good fun.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That does sound like fun - my girlfriend, Laura, loves Merlot, perhaps the next time a group of us gets together we could try that with different levels of Merlot.

Got any recommendations for three good options in the Merlot family??

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'm not a big merlot fan to be honest (not that it's bad, but i find myself drinking other wines), but try to find that columbia crest if you can, i recall it being quite good. markham also makes a good one.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Blind tastings are great fun and really make you focus on what's in the glass, as opposed to what's on the label, on the price tag, or how the wine is hyped. There is no better way to get in tune with your pallette. It's also a great equalizer if you're with a group that has different levels of expertise. More than once I've seen so-called experts (i.e., wine snobs) get completely duped by inexpensive bottles that they would never purchase because they think it's inferior wine.

I haven't done many but in every blind tasting I've been part of, the most expensive wine was not the favorite. Rather, it's usually the single vineyard bottle with more character and personality that stands out, regardless of price.

Everyone, regardless of wine knowledge, has the capacity to take a sip, describe what they taste, and say if they like it or not. It has zero to do with how much a bottle costs, how rare it is, etc. It's very personal and there are really no wrong opinons, that's why blind tastings are great for people without a lot of experience.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Columbia Crest is very good. It's from the same vineyards producing Chateau Ste. Michelle (so I've heard). My brother in law who is a chef turned me on to several inexpensive wines coming from the same vineyards as more expensive ones. If you like the Kendel-Jackson chardonay, look for one called Camelot Vineyards.