Quantcast

G-BOXX Planetary, first pics

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Are these the same lads who said they felt 200mm travel for DH bikes doesn't work and 160mm is the way to go? . Guess they actually rode a proper DH and changed their minds )

I love brooklyns so can't say anything bad about the heathen looks wise.
I think those were guys from POLE cycles.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
if there's anything 30 yrs in this sport has taught me it's that putting the shock inside the frame is definitely the way to go.

how many cc's of oil does your top tube need?

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Unno filed for a Gearbox patent recently. Unlike the old Honda box, instaead of a derailleur handling the shifting duties, the casette is being moved axially (they also filed an alternative version that moves the chain tensioner instead of the cassette).

The system is supposed to be used without freehub in the rear wheel, moving it to the gearbox instead, which should increase drag but enable shifting while coasting.

It is supposed to accept cassettes up to 35 teeth, but since moving the entire cassette should make the system fairly wide, I'd imagine that this is intended for gravity riding and smaller cassettes with limited spread.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Having a chain that’s constantly moving (that’s what I’m understanding in the post) seems like a bad idea. All the gearbox/Alfine bikes I know of can be shifted while coasting, so there must be some other reason.
In my opinion, addressing the slow low power shifts low engagement in the mechanism is the bigger hurdle. If that was solved I don’t think many people would have a problem. Electronic shifting could be the answer it can eliminate the twist shifter most people don’t like. Why not a Honda like derailleur in a box but with etap?

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
When I was reading the PB review of the Unno Dart, I couldn't help but think to myself "I wish this guy could put his engineering talent to good use - like making a good gearbox bike". And then I saw this post. What kind of coincidence is that?!?!

That said, when I let it sink in that it was Unno making it, I thought "awww man, another bike I really want but can't (or won't) afford."

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
On April 11 2014, Karl NICOLAI filed a patent "Unter Last schaltbares Getriebe für Fahrzeuge" DE102,014,016,395A1. The status was set to "Application status is Pending" today. Chris PORTER sayed in an interview earlier this year that they'll unveil something new in drivetrains in 2019, if I remember correctly. So I'm curious if we'll see something surprising at 2019 Eurobike resp. Interbike.

Attachments

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
It has been told that the Lower Saxon guys of NICOLAI as well as the Anglo-Saxon staff of GEOMETRÖN are actually testing a completely new gearbox. No idea if this is a reincarnation of the legendary 1930s ADLER gearbox :pilot:, a SIMKINS IVT (SIVAT) or a rather turboencabulatoresque brainchild...

A first spontaneous reaction of a real eyewitness...

Bert @ Sesame Street.gif

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Updated 'EffiGear' box by CAVALERIE Bikes (F): 9-speed, 500%, 1,500g, electric shifting, PINION standard mount

CAVALERIE Bikes + neues EffiGear-Getriebe, passend für Rahmen-Montage nach PINION-Standard @ F...png
CAVALERIE Bikes + neues EffiGear-Getriebe, passend für Rahmen-Montage nach PINION-Standard @ F...png
CAVALERIE Bikes + neues EffiGear-Getriebe, passend für Rahmen-Montage nach PINION-Standard, 1....jpg

Wilhelm

Monkey
Aug 10, 2003
Latest version of Turboencabulator — NICOLAI EBoxx Ultra

Pipe dream of a passionate MX rider who only occasionally designs "non-assisted" bikes these days.

Specs

Drivetrain
Gearbox: PINION C1.9 XR (9-speed, bandwith 568%, gear gradation 24,3%)
Crank arms: NICOLAI UB1 (150mm, super wide Q-factor)
E-Motor: NICOLAI UB-1 (6kW nominal, 10kW peak)
Battery: NICOLAI UB-1 (2,000Wh)
Drive belt: Double-GATES CDX (concentric pulley w/o tensioner)

Suspension
Fork: EXTREME Racing UB1 (200mm, coil-over, double air chamber)
Shock: EXTREME Racing UB1 (200mm, coil-over, 230/65mm)

Weight
55 ... 65 kgs (why settle for less? :twitch:)

Price
€9,999 (Version MX, non-street legal, footpegs)
€11,499 (Version L1E-PI, street legal, footpegs, 45km/h)
€12,999 (Version L1E-PI, street legal, PINION C1.9, 45km/h)

Specs-Price-Eboxx-Ultra-2021-low_Seite_1.jpg

Specs-Price-Eboxx-Ultra-2021-low_Seite_2.jpg