Quantcast

G-BOXX Planetary, first pics

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
quite a bit like HaveFaith's rig. Not bad at all. Someone's got to do this with a split-pivot rear dropout.
What would a split pivot do for it? Would it make the rear wider? The bearings closer to the dirt?
I'd like to see one done for a Horst link or VPP. I have plans for a VPP,just need the cash,or to forget about the Rohloff single pivot bennefits;)
That Reuber is a nice tidy little bike though.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
What would a split pivot do for it? Would it make the rear wider? The bearings closer to the dirt?
I'd like to see one done for a Horst link or VPP. I have plans for a VPP,just need the cash,or to forget about the Rohloff single pivot bennefits;)
That Reuber is a nice tidy little bike though.
A split pivot rear end would yeild benefits similar to that of a horst link rear when braking is considered, but you prolly already knew that.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
A split pivot rear end would yeild benefits similar to that of a horst link rear when braking is considered, but you prolly already knew that.
Nah totally forgot about that:redface: I was just thinking of axle path mainly.
Would be good to not have brake affected rear.
Are Sram working on this for thier hubs?
It's the best idea by far,and has been mentioned many time before. It would not be that hard to make for a Rohloff.

EVRAC

Monkey
Jun 21, 2004
Port Coquitlam, B.C., Canada
It would not be that hard to make for a Rohloff.
A trigger shifter for Rohloff would be very hard to make. The guys at Universal Transmissions supposedly have one in the pipe for the G_Boxx 2, but no spy photos yet. I've seen also a few solidworks drawings people have made for a Rohloff trigger, but nothing physical. It's totally different from a normal shifter, with the 2 cables and all. There's a thread somewhere on here about it.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
A trigger shifter for Rohloff would be very hard to make. The guys at Universal Transmissions supposedly have one in the pipe for the G_Boxx 2, but no spy photos yet. I've seen also a few solidworks drawings people have made for a Rohloff trigger, but nothing physical. It's totally different from a normal shifter, with the 2 cables and all. There's a thread somewhere on here about it.
I don't think so.
You have a paddle on each side,with a cable each running to a box near the stem. In the box is a rotor button,with one cable attached to one side and the other the other side,with the pivot in the middle,this is sprung loaded so it returns to center(or the paddles could be)and activates a ratchet system with pawls like a hub,so it turns another button that activates the other cables,and is also sprung loaded. Hard to make yourselfI but easy for the big boys.
I wouldn't bother though as the Twit shifter works a treat. Better than triggers IMO for a gearbox.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Looks nice and light, I wonder if it's the lightest G-Boxxed bike.
No new shifter, that one looks slippery as,a cut down Rohloff looks better.
No Horst link, the other Ion has a Horst link doesn't it?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
oddly enough (yes, this is a nice bike), i think i'm getting bored with the multitude of g-boxx iterations ie, identically positioned single pivots. the locked bb to output / pivot stifles suspension design, and for this reason (i think) is a flawed format to be developing as an oem standard. i think a standard gearbox should be independant of the bb.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Or at least some real riding feedback from people who don't just buy it because its a great box bike. Normally the German bike magazine are good at doing test like that. I for one would not buy one except if it would do better than my Sunday.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oddly enough (yes, this is a nice bike), i think i'm getting bored with the multitude of g-boxx iterations ie, identically positioned single pivots. the locked bb to output / pivot stifles suspension design, and for this reason (i think) is a flawed format to be developing as an oem standard. i think a standard gearbox should be independant of the bb.
I agree, and I wish it weren't so German. How many bolts are there on that thing? Do you really expect me to believe that you can't reduce the number of bolts by half? I like the idea of a standard, but I wish it weren't so clumsy.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
nice looking rides, but G-boxx + twist shifter = doomed. I don't think any amount of weight reduction, cost trimming or design flexability will get the G-Boxx around the shortcomings of a twister.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Plus the price is just to high at least in the US. I can keep so may spare parts for my Sunday for that price plus keep a better suspension design.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
nice looking rides, but G-boxx + twist shifter = doomed. I don't think any amount of weight reduction, cost trimming or design flexability will get the G-Boxx around the shortcomings of a twister.
Yawn.
A twister is more benneficial for a gearbox. It's easier and faster to do multiple shifts. The shifter on that bike looks like an after thought, slippery and bodgie. Don't knock it until you've tried it on a gearboxed bike and given yourself time to adapt, it is only the shifter.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
Yawn.
A twister is more benneficial for a gearbox. It's easier and faster to do multiple shifts. The shifter on that bike looks like an after thought, slippery and bodgie. Don't knock it until you've tried it on a gearboxed bike and given yourself time to adapt, it is only the shifter.

I'm savvy to why it is the "only shifter" for that system. Unfortunately that does very little to make it better or even good. There's a reason almost no one uses them on non-G-Boxx bikes.

I gave myself plenty of time.....twice and I'll pass. It makes no difference what a twister is hooked to, it's still a twister. It's not for me for sure.

How's about a thumb shifter on both sides? Hell, you aren't running a front D with a G-Boxx anyways.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
How's about a thumb shifter on both sides? Hell, you aren't running a front D with a G-Boxx anyways.
That would be ideal,and has been mentioned many time before,there was even rumor of Nicolai working on on,but nothings come of it. I'd personally only run it though if I could dump as many gears as easily.
Did you try a twit shifter with a gearbox or just deraileur? My Rohloffs a lot nicer and crisper than a normal deraileur one,and run with a near full length grip I never mis shift.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
That would be ideal,and has been mentioned many time before,there was even rumor of Nicolai working on on,but nothings come of it. I'd personally only run it though if I could dump as many gears as easily.
Did you try a twit shifter with a gearbox or just deraileur? My Rohloffs a lot nicer and crisper than a normal deraileur one,and run with a near full length grip I never mis shift.

I did use a twister on a Rohloff hub and there is no doubt that it is smooth and instant, but inadvertently dumping gears really turned me off. It worked MUCH better than a sram to derailleur, but through the real nasty stuff i couldn't not twist through a few gears whilst hanging on. up/down shifting 4 and 5 gears at a time was nice.

I guess anyone could get used to it, like anything else. I do think that the shifter limitations have really limited it's appeal to many, including me.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I did use a twister on a Rohloff hub and there is no doubt that it is smooth and instant, but inadvertently dumping gears really turned me off. It worked MUCH better than a sram to derailleur, but through the real nasty stuff i couldn't not twist through a few gears whilst hanging on.
i've never had an inadvertent shift. i run my grip nearly full length so just my thumb & inside bit of hand are on the edge of the shifter. works great. i was previously an anti-gripshift guy in principle, but it's really been a non-issue in practise. that said, it certainly wouldn't hurt acceptance if an option were available. some crafty machinist should be jumping on this. there's 10's of thousands of rohloffs out there already. would probably be a decent niche.

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Your gonna need a nice chunk of change yo. They (Gboxx 2, the better design) cost close to $1500 I believe, don't quote me though, but I do know they cost more than a grand.

PM Havefaith, he just built a frame up around a Gboxx 2, and went through all the dealings with buying 2 or 3 of them I believe.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Your gonna need a nice chunk of change yo. They (Gboxx 2, the better design) cost close to $1500 I believe, don't quote me though, but I do know they cost more than a grand.

PM Havefaith, he just built a frame up around a Gboxx 2, and went through all the dealings with buying 2 or 3 of them I believe.

860 euros, which = just over $1300

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I did use a twister on a Rohloff hub and there is no doubt that it is smooth and instant, but inadvertently dumping gears really turned me off. It worked MUCH better than a sram to derailleur, but through the real nasty stuff i couldn't not twist through a few gears whilst hanging on. up/down shifting 4 and 5 gears at a time was nice.

I guess anyone could get used to it, like anything else. I do think that the shifter limitations have really limited it's appeal to many, including me.
It's not the fact that its a twist shifter that bothers me so much, it's the fact its a proprietary shifter if I'm not mistaken, yes?

That's the biggest turnoff for me about the g-boxx's, there are so many proprietary parts to it, that it would be virtually impossible to service (at least for a few years, or until they became widely available) from the end user, which would be bad if it breaks down at a race.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
860 euros, which = just over $1300
Just a quick calculation for reference:

In retail prices and actual weights -
Saint crankset: $350 (1.124kg 38t 85mm)
Saint rear derailleur: $160 (0.369kg)
XT cassette: $100 (0.264kg 11-32?)
Saint right shifter, shorty: $100 (0.120kg)
e13 SRS: $150 (0.300g or so)
SUBTOTAL: $860, 2.177kg

You'll also save weight and cost on the rear hub. G-boxx rear hub is not included to my knowledge but is roughly equivalent in cost/complexity to a front hub, and close in weight to a front hub... so conservative estimates look like
Hope Pro 2 rear: $210, 0.294 g
- Hope Pro 1 front: $110, 0.174 g
- being conservative: 20%
Est. additional cost of trad rear end: $80, 0.096kg

TOTAL: $940, 2.273kg

You'll make some of that back in frame weight, I'd say .5kg in front triangle materials (BB shell/ISCG mostly), tops. So you're giving up ~$350 and 1.75kg to go with G-BOXX 2. In return you get better mass centralization, better unsprung weight, and flawless drivetrain performance. I'd say it's not great, but we're not far off.