Quantcast

Galfer brake lines

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The first set of mythical Galfer stainless brake lines just got here. I am impressed, to say the least!

pictures in a few minutes, but I think Goodridge may have some competition. They are a little less convenient (factory crimped) but will be at a cheapoer pricepoint i am told

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Factory Crimped so im guessing they are selling a bunch of diffrent sizes? Seems like it would be a pain in the ass for shops to stock.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Bulldog
Sounds cool. Hopefully they don't F them up as bad as they did their rotors!
and what issues have you had with their rotors? I have been using them for about 9 months now, without even knocking one out of true...

And yes, they will be stocking varrying lengths. No idea why they prefer to crimp them, but i am sure it has to do with the "moto" image they like to portray. That is after all their main line of work.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Acadian
you need to look closer...:rolleyes:
The big difference is that they are crimped. Besides that there is functionally no difference i can feel (just got 'em setup now).

They feel just as good as my long (rear) goodridg installation, the crappy part is that they do not firt through guides, so you need to use adapters. but hey if they are 1/2 to 3/4 the price..thats a good savings and may be worth the tradeoff.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
So you think the crimped fittings would pull out of the hoses more easily than goodridge fittings? those crimps are pretty long...

The crimping system and long screws on the fittings of goodridge are pretty stout, I am wondering if the long screw will break after a few wrecks and smacks on my levers this season. I don't think I will be taking the hoses apart any time anyway, so hopefully I will never know.

I am just glad I haven't had to re-instal and re-bleed a brake line since christmas:D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Ronny Grady
So you think the crimped fittings would pull out of the hoses more easily than goodridge fittings? those crimps are pretty long...

The crimping system and long screws on the fittings of goodridge are pretty stout, I am wondering if the long screw will break after a few wrecks and smacks on my levers this season. I don't think I will be taking the hoses apart any time anyway, so hopefully I will never know.

I am just glad I haven't had to re-instal and re-bleed a brake line since christmas:D
No way, same crimp as thelines on their F1 superbike brakes. Only disadvantage is the fact that they dont go into cable guides. Less machining tho = lower price...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Bah, just buy Hopes :p

On topic though, are those clearcoated at all, or is the metal braid the outside of the line. I'm not really much for cosmetics, but that would do a number on your powdercoat, woudn't it?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by Silver
Bah, just buy Hopes :p

On topic though, are those clearcoated at all, or is the metal braid the outside of the line. I'm not really much for cosmetics, but that would do a number on your powdercoat, woudn't it?
Buy Hopes.....Listen to you;) Yes they are vinyl coated to protect the frame finish.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Transcend
and what issues have you had with their rotors? I have been using them for about 9 months now, without even knocking one out of true...
Oh I'm not worried about knocking one out of true, that's for sure. I'm still raging at the fact I have to sand about 1/3 of my brand new pads down every time to make the wheel spin normally and brakes have a normal amount of pull. The rotors are just way too thick. They've admitted they are thicker than stock to me over the phone. I've got one from the old stock and one from the new, "thinner" stock, and they both are just way too thick. P.I.T.A. Very pretty, but that goes away quickly after you install their rotors with their pads for the first time and your wheel won't spin - at all. I was torn between Galfers, Braking, and Hope Gothics, and as is true to form for me I picked the most problematic one. :rolleyes:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by Bulldog
Oh I'm not worried about knocking one out of true, that's for sure. I'm still raging at the fact I have to sand about 1/3 of my brand new pads down every time to make the wheel spin normally and brakes have a normal amount of pull. The rotors are just way too thick. They've admitted they are thicker than stock to me over the phone. I've got one from the old stock and one from the new, "thinner" stock, and they both are just way too thick. P.I.T.A. Very pretty, but that goes away quickly after you install their rotors with their pads for the first time and your wheel won't spin - at all. I was torn between Galfers, Braking, and Hope Gothics, and as is true to form for me I picked the most problematic one. :rolleyes:

how much more thicker are the Galfers say compare to the Hope? (might be a better option in leiu of the flimsy 205mm Hope wafer).
Do Galfers run 205mm rotors btw?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Acadian
how about pics of them mounted on the bike?
Not on a bike yet. Right now I have a nicely bled brake stretched out on my floor. Gotta find some of those little hose mount fittings to work with the 223. Any idea if BTI/QBP have them?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Orven
how much more thicker are the Galfers say compare to the Hope? (might be a better option in leiu of the flimsy 205mm Hope wafer).
Do Galfers run 205mm rotors btw?
According to galfer, they aren't. According to my glass tabletop test a few months ago, much. I would say 50% thicker as a rough guess, they are massive that is for sure. Not sure why, they said that the new production run would be smaller. Those rotors are winging their way here now *(the new ones) so i will let ya know when they get here.

They run 6", 8" (205) and the new 10" (255) rotors. They have adapters for the 10"

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
According to galfer, they aren't. According to my glass tabletop test a few months ago, much. I would say 50% thicker as a rough guess, they are massive that is for sure. Not sure why, they said that the new production run would be smaller. Those rotors are winging their way here now *(the new ones) so i will let ya know when they get here.

They run 6", 8" (205) and the new 10" (255) rotors. They have adapters for the 10"
Thanks. There's something funky about the Hope 205mm rotors warping easily....nothing a crescent wrench can't fix but still.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If i had a good macro lens i'd take a closeup, but they are noticeably heavier. I think part of it (from what i understand anyways) is that regular rotors are usually stamped, and these are laser cut.

So they use the same raw materials, but it doesnt get compressed? Dunno if that is the case tho.:confused:

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
If i had a good macro lens i'd take a closeup, but they are noticeably heavier. I think part of it (from what i understand anyways) is that regular rotors are usually stamped, and these are laser cut.

werent you supposed to get some calipers?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

So they use the same raw materials, but it doesnt get compressed? Dunno if that is the case tho.:confused:
Nobody stamps rotors. Laser cutting is faster and cheaper.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ya, i never got a set. Gotta get my ass to canadian tire or something for the cheapos. The ones i was looking at were insanely overpriced crap.
the ones at Canadian tire wont do much good, mine are already about 0.5mm off. Its ok for general measurements but not much good for stuff like rotor thickness.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by zedro
the ones at Canadian tire wont do much good, mine are already about 0.5mm off. Its ok for general measurements but not much good for stuff like rotor thickness.
ah, well in that case, I wont have any useful measurements any time soon!