Quantcast

Garter Belts for Downhill

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
While trail riding a few weeks ago, I tried to drop into a dry rock garden stream bed at slow speed off a small boulder. I planted the front wheel really solidly on the back side of the bolder, and ended up diving over the bars into the stream bed.

Was wearing 7idp soft knee pads with plastic insert and poc VPD air soft elbow pads. All the pads seemed to work pretty well for the initial impact, but were knocked out of place for all subsequent impacts.

As I sat on the boulder in pain and shock, seeing sequences of black with no vision, bright light "stars", and drunk whirling trees, while simultaniously experiencing severe gas pains, and a bowel threatening imminent expulsion of my lunch time burritos, the small part of my higher conscienceness still capable of rational thought was thinking I should try to come up with some knee pads that stay in place better during impact for DH riding at higher speeds.

This is the result of those thoughts. I got some Leatt dual axis xxl hard knee guards. Cut a slot at the top of the plastic with a dremel tool. I made the garter belt using 80 pound test spectra fishing line (most any braided type fishing line) and a sailmaker's canvas needle. The sewing is strong, and I can't break it pulling as hard as I can on it with my 2 hands. Quick release buckles at the top of each pad and at the belt buckle.

The plan is to wear breafs, then the garter belt, then a spandex roadie short (hopefully to keep the straps more out of harms way from being hooked), then riding shorts over the spandex.

My wife finds all this hilarious.

Initial testing next weekend at thunder mountain if all goes to plan.
pads1.JPG
pads2.JPG

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I've thought about something like this in the years past. I'm surprised that no companies came out with shorts that have something built in.

Downhill lingere!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My wife finds all this hilarious.

She's not the only one. ;)

This has been a problem for as long as there have been mountain bikes. It's why the dianese suits and bibs were popular even though their pads sucked. Pad designers for the most part don't seem to actually test their stuff before releasing it. And what passes for 'reviews' is just pathetic: "we didn't have any hard crashes on them but we're confident they'll stay in place"

Vert skating had this figured out decades ago. The problem is mountainbikers are still 'cyclists' who don't actually try scary things and crash enough to know what actually works for protection.

I can say this: the 7idp pads you're talking about do also suck. There are good ones out there but you have to know what to look for. Neoprene for as hot as it is works because it sticks to your skin. Rigid or near facsimile of over calf straps are good.

I think your setup might work for holding them UP, but their still going to slide off to the side. Good luck.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I always thought these were a pretty cool idea. Once you find a pad that stays in place, never abandon it, because finding another one is a crap shoot.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Once you find a pad that stays in place, never abandon it, because finding another one is a crap shoot.
You just have to know what to look for.

TLD used to make a pad with a rigid calf strap. They never moved. I cut that strap off when the pads were beat and sewed that thing on my next 3 sets dh pads. Like most things in this sport, doing something right means it gets abandoned half the time.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
@ kidwoo - Lol. Glad to have made a contribution to forum entertainment. yes, they work great to prevent slide down, but do nothing for side rotation. Post up a pic of this rigid calf strap. I don't remember seeing anything like that looking at pads.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's just thick black webbing. Picture your normal dh knee/shin pads that are mostly open on the back. What's normally just another elastic strap that goes over the back and top of your calf wasn't elastic. Simple as hell but that made those things work.

Good luck with the garter. Bonus points for a pic of those things over spandex and no modesty shorts to hide the shame. :D

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016
The reason you put up with full-sleeve neoprene designs w/straps is simple: they don't move. Every time I see a set of pads advertised as "breathable" or "lightweight" it immediately gets put in the unrideable pile. If I wanted breathable and lightweight, I'd skip the protection placebo and just not wear pads.

I just toasted my latest set of Fox Launch Pro pads washing out in a rock garden, tore the fabric off the hard face and left a huge gouge, as well as tearing off one of the straps. I'll be buying another pair because as hot as they are, they never, ever move in crashes, and actually pedal pretty well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I regard those things as the greatest invention in mountain biking. Because still to this day, well over a decade since production, I continually see at least once a year, some dumb schmuck in a liftline wearing nothing but.
to this day i cannot fathom why people don't put jerseys over that shit. hell, i've actually seen people with jerseys UNDER their body armor.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Good luck with the garter. Bonus points for a pic of those things over spandex and no modesty shorts to hide the shame. :D
Saw this on the weekend at a DH spot. Guy had rented a bike, had spandex short shorts on and full upper body armour suit on (over top of the jersey). All while carrying a thing of almond milk and a banana.

It was pretty great.

Coincidentally, there was also a road race that day going around the hill. Perhaps dude dropped his tri bike for a DH bike? :busted:

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The reason you put up with full-sleeve neoprene designs w/straps is simple: they don't move. Every time I see a set of pads advertised as "breathable" or "lightweight" it immediately gets put in the unrideable pile. If I wanted breathable and lightweight, I'd skip the protection placebo and just not wear pads.

I just toasted my latest set of Fox Launch Pro pads washing out in a rock garden, tore the fabric off the hard face and left a huge gouge, as well as tearing off one of the straps. I'll be buying another pair because as hot as they are, they never, ever move in crashes, and actually pedal pretty well.
This. I can't understand how a fucking piece of fabric is supposed to whitstand a direct hit again sharp rock, and be able to slide, having D3O or some other NASA approved goo underneath it. I also think the difference in pedalability between a hard cap and a soft cap knee pad is negligible if the piece is well constructed. And nothing beats neoprene for retention purposes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
i have never seen one of those dainese suits worn w/o covering, but I'd sure like to!

maybe with a pink rockgardn breastplate to complete the ensemble.

Harry BarnOwl

Monkey
Jul 24, 2008
Two words (three if you're being pedantic) - Raceface ambush. Never once slipped and never let my knees down in two years of owning them. For reference, I'm someone who spends a lot of time crashing. Hands down the best knee pads I've ever tried.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I like my Raceface Ambush and Flank knee pads, and I've crash tested them plenty (more dj than dh, but I don't crash lightly). Also pretty happy with my Astars Alps elbow pads, though I've only had them for a couple crashes so far. I wondered at first if they needed another strap, but the silicone grippers at the ends seem to work well to keep them in place.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting set-up. I agree that wont help sideways sliding, and I don't understand wearing briefs under a lycra short. Sounds...bunchy.

I'd like to see that paired with suspenders for the lycra. Actually, strike that, I really don't want to see that.

I don't wear a lot of body armor these days but when I do, I usually wear a thin base layer underneath. Prevents chafing and helps fight the funk. But I'll also wear a jersey over it. I'm vain enough to suck it up on hot days.

I also agree that rigid straps should make a comeback on pads and also on shorts. I've never understood how people can ride with an elastic, stretchy waistband without 'em slipping down on every climb. It's especially dumb when the elastic waistband is adjustable. I won't buy shorts unless they have belt hoops or a rigid waistband.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I regard those things as the greatest invention in mountain biking. Because still to this day, well over a decade since production, I continually see at least once a year, some dumb schmuck in a liftline wearing nothing but.
once a year?

Go ride at Snowshoe in WV. More like once in every lift line!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
FYI there are garter belts out there for hockey socks that may do the trick just fine and won't require bunchy stuff under your briefs. $15

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just wear troosers*. sweaty as fuck but at least you don't end up looking like that twat from AC/DC in the pub after your ride.

*PAYNTS in 'Mercan

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I made my own set of knee pads. Best fitting gear I've ever used by far. Took my worn POC with vpd and went to town with some stuff I had at home, topped them of with a set of plastic caps from a different pair of knee guards. Even came out looking quite pro in all black.

So in short I have both hard plastic for "slideability", vpd for shock absortion and tailored fit for my personal calfs!!!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think this is a great idea and I've thought about doing it myself too, even if only attaching to a loop inide the shorts to restrict how far down they can slide. I've almost never had them slide to the side, most often it's just straight down because that's the direction they get pulled in when you're sliding along the ground - which is in virtually every crash.

It's cool that you went through with it. I've got plenty of scars and had plenty of stitches from every brand of knee-only pad sliding down, and you really feel ripped off when you get injured in an area that was protected and you chose to wear protection in, only to have it fail miserably because the design is fundamentally flawed.

I'm definitely a victim of wearing knee pads that probably look better than they work, but in my experience virtually all the knee-only pads just suck, and even the knee shins suck unless they extend all the way down and get stopped by your ankle. The garter belt seems to let you pick better looking and more breathable options without the inevitable failure, this one's a winner in my book. Nice work @lobsterCT.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
I don't understand british, but to everyone else, thank you for your kind words and derision.

Flight testing (actually, hopefully not), tomorrow. Will report back if I make it.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
A set of 3/4 or full length compression tights (you see basketball players wearing them under their shorts) would probably do a good job over a set of knee pads. they'll get jacked up eventually but would stop pads from sliding about and shouldn't have you over heating.

I had a terrible set of fox pads where the knee cup flapped about and I used tubular bandage to slip over and stop them from flapping off my knee in crashes. Those damn pads were only good for protecting from pedal strikes - any kind of off the bike crash and they'd be backwards and flapped open, normally with a fresh knee cut, just to highlight their terribleness. The tube bandage helped a lot.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
First public appearance of this contraption in a major media outlet. How long until it shows under a big brand? This maybe calls for a cross-post with the "New Standards Brainstorm" thread:

WakiLeaks on PB said:
Second up is an interesting take on gear storage and protection from growing German giant PIXIES. The company takes inspiration from European cinematography and Eco/retro tendencies by using leather straps to solve the bouncing of the fanny pack and sliding of knee guards. PIXIES strongly believes in proliferating all genres of MTB with Full face helmets. Enter Schrauber nut case with the Mustacchio detachable chin system, where the alien form of the chin piece is broken up with the delicacy of a Bipiemme visor relating to the roadie swag.

Last edited:

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
You just have to know what to look for.

TLD used to make a pad with a rigid calf strap. They never moved. I cut that strap off when the pads were beat and sewed that thing on my next 3 sets dh pads. Like most things in this sport, doing something right means it gets abandoned half the time.
So, I have had some riding time with this Garter Belt. It became quickly apparent that if I set the garter tight enough to stop any slip down, it restricts full extension of the legs which was quickly determined to be bad. So I had to compromise some. I set them loose enough for full extension of the legs walking around, popping off jumps etc. This setting would let them slide down a small amount in a crash, but little enough, that the top of the knee would still be under the uppermost part of the plastic protection. Not perfect obviously, but I'm still pretty happy with it overall. Its not uncomfortable and I never even bothered to unclip the connection between the garter and the pads while riding the lift etc. Only one small crash though, so no definitive test yet.

I modified the pads further today, and cut off all the stock elastic straps, and replaced them with no stretch nylon webbing and plastic buckles. Holy crap, what a difference. Kid Woo nailed the crux of the issue in his quoted post above. Non elastic straps are awesome! Initial impression is the garter would be superfluous, now that I have non-elastic straps, in low or medium speed crashes. And side slip is considerably restricted as well, relative to how they were before modification.

Good call Woo, the bike industry should listen to your advice from time to time.

IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I like the POC VPD DH/Shin 2.0 (and elbows) they have the doughy stuff with a hard cap and def stay in place u/d & side to side (I need to sweat a little for the elbows to lock in place). Tested - the caps are gauged but still good and the cloth and stitching has held up. Trying to keep the Red clay from staining the stitching is my only battle.

I really like the design and coverage, but of course these are hot spots - no real breathabiility here.

I used to like the fox launch because they never moved --- except in the forward slide and 2 ground knees later I looked for something else....

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Two words (three if you're being pedantic) - Raceface ambush. Never once slipped and never let my knees down in two years of owning them. For reference, I'm someone who spends a lot of time crashing. Hands down the best knee pads I've ever tried.

Gotta agree. I've been using a set of the Ambush knee pads all season and they are by far
the best knee pads I have owned.