Quantcast

Gas prices in BC

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
I'm thinking about heading up to Whistler this summer and renting a car/suv versus taking the shuttle to Whistler. Does anyone know what gas is running currently? Am I just better off taking the shuttle?

Burnwood

Chimp
Nov 10, 2002
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by mealsonwheels
I'm thinking about heading up to Whistler this summer and renting a car/suv versus taking the shuttle to Whistler. Does anyone know what gas is running currently? Am I just better off taking the shuttle?
It's just under $1.00 Canadian a liter on the island. It will probably be slightly cheaper on the main land, but not by much...

That's about $2.50US/gallon

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Gas prices have been floating around the 96.9 - 99.9 cent range. Occasionally prices dip down to 90.9 cents per litre.

Prices vary throughout the day (there's a gas station near my office that changes price 3 times a day). If you gas up in Whistler or Squamish, you can save 3.5cents per litre than by filling up within the Greater Vancouver area.

A larger truck or SUV (say an F150 or F250 or similar sized SUV) will take about $35 worth of gas to and from the Downtown Vancouver area. A midsize car/wagon about $25-$30. And a dinky useless little car like my '96 Mazda Protege burns through about $15-$20 worth of gas for the same trip.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I was sorta expecting the prices to be a little higher over there...they're the same here.

That's good to know since I was entertaining the thought of ditching everything here, driving out there and bring my bicyclette with me. :D

NS1

Chimp
Feb 7, 2004
Pirbright, UK
Originally posted by Burnwood
Well it's actually a wee bit more than $2.50...

It's nice to see that we're all equally being screwed over at the pumps...:dead:
You think you're getting screwed??
I'm paying the equivalent of $1.52USD per litre, here in the UK & it could be as high as $1.65 by the end of the week !!
That's over twice what you guys are paying.:angry:

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Originally posted by mealsonwheels
OPEC isn't selective about who they screw.
Oil is running out so prices are bound to rise as the OPEC countries involved try to reduce the amount of natural resources leaving their country. It has nothing to do with screwing people but protecting what they have left.

Not much you can do about it except drive smaller cars that use less petrol.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Actually it's price manipulation. Reduced oil supply+static demand =higher price.

We do need to find alternate and renewable sources of fuel to reduce our dependence on islamafascist nations.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Cave Dweller
Oil is running out so prices are bound to rise as the OPEC countries involved try to reduce the amount of natural resources leaving their country. It has nothing to do with screwing people but protecting what they have left.

Not much you can do about it except drive smaller cars that use less petrol.
Ya, you believe anything you are told don't you? There is enough oil left to keep pumping it at this rate for something like 100+ years. It is by no means, "running out".

They are simply gouging for prices like any good oligopoly. Hell, someone bombs a refinery, kills twenty people and the price rises $2 a barrel. Give me a break, hello any excuse to raise the price.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego
Originally posted by Transcend
:rolleyes:

wow, just wow.
I'm referring not to peaceful Islamic nations (Jordan), but rather unstable radical nations such as pre-occupation Iraq. Reliance upon fundamentalist nations such as that places us in a precarious position. I do not believe in isolationism, but it's scary relying on countries run by dictators for something as basic as oil.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Ya, you believe anything you are told don't you? There is enough oil left to keep pumping it at this rate for something like 100+ years. It is by no means, "running out".

They are simply gouging for prices like any good oligopoly. Hell, someone bombs a refinery, kills twenty people and the price rises $2 a barrel. Give me a break, hello any excuse to raise the price.
Well, if there is only 100 years of oil left then it is indead running out then, isn't it???

No significant new oil reserves have been found since the 70's and at the escalating (not stagnant) rate of use of fossil fuels (by china, india, americans driving the new chevy SUV, the most feul inefficient car know to man kind) they will indeed run out in our life time.

I don't drive a car anyway (by choice, respect the environment man) so i don't really care, i say double the price of oil :devil:

Just joking guys.;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well, if there is only 100 years of oil left then it is indead running out then, isn't it???

No significant new oil reserves have been found since the 70's and at the escalating (not stagnant) rate of use of fossil fuels (by china, india, americans driving the new chevy SUV, the most feul inefficient car know to man kind) they will indeed run out in our life time.

I don't drive a car anyway (by choice, respect the environment man) so i don't really care, i say double the price of oil :devil:

Just joking guys.;)
100+ years, at the current rate of technology increase, and it won't be a problem. Hell we only invented the combustion engine what? 150 years ago at the most? And now we have scram jets, pulse jets, fuel injection and regularly aspirated engines that top 350kmh

Id say we dont have to worry too much.

Oh and there is plenty of massive oil reserves left, we just have to get to them. (ie: alaska, arctic/antarctic and huge section of the most inhospitable ocean floor in the north atlantic).

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003

Id say we dont have to worry too much.
What about your kids and your kids kids, what are you going to leave for them??? Don't forget such humble things as plastics are made from petolium products as well

Oh and there is plenty of massive oil reserves left, we just have to get to them. (ie: alaska, arctic/antarctic and huge section of the most inhospitable ocean floor in the north atlantic).
Thats such a good idea, mining Alaska, one of the worlds last greatest natural wonders, and turn it into a waste land :rolleyes:

Instead of mining alaska for oil, spending billions of dollars and farking it up in the process, and instead of invading other countries for their oil, spending billions of dollars while your at it killing hundreds of innocent people and hundreds of your own country men......

.... why not spend the money on developing some power source that doesn’t destroy the world we live in. People priorities are so ****ed up at the moment, it just amazes me.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

.... why not spend the money on developing some power source that doesn’t destroy the world we live in. People priorities are so ****ed up at the moment, it just amazes me.....
Like i said, 100 years of science at this rate means you wont have to worry. Fuel cells are almost already a viable reality and actually have been for 10 years. Thanks the auto manufacturers and the oil compnies for stiffling production and research.

Plastics can be created without pretroleom products, it simply costs more.

mealsonwheels

Monkey
Jan 16, 2003
San Diego

Thats such a good idea, mining Alaska, one of the worlds last greatest natural wonders, and turn it into a waste land :rolleyes:
Everyone talks about Alaska being so pristine, but the only people that actually go there are age 70 and riding on giant cruise ships. Once we actually begin drillling in Alaska the copious regulations will make it the most pristine oil fields in the world.

Rant over.

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
I'm going to side with Fraser here...

Technological advances will continue to shift our demand for all that is "static" in the short term it may be quite static but over the long period of time (say 200 years) oil is not THAT static of a demand.

When is the last time you used coal for something other than "fun"?

Now beer on the other hand....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by neversummersnow
I'm going to side with Fraser here...

Technological advances will continue to shift our demand for all that is "static" in the short term it may be quite static but over the long period of time (say 200 years) oil is not THAT static of a demand.

When is the last time you used coal for something other than "fun"?

Now beer on the other hand....
beer is brown gold my friend. BROWN GOLD!