Quantcast

gas question

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
I am going up to Vermont this weekend. I am trying to make this a super cheep trip. Gas is nearly 30cents more per gallon up there. I was thinking of taking 3; 5 gallon tanks and filling them at home and just keeping them in my trunk. The added weight will only be 100 lbs. Only problem I could potentially see is if I got hit in the back my car might blow up. Is transport of gas in the trunk across state lines legal?

im serius geyes

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am going up to Vermont this weekend. I am trying to make this a super cheep trip. Gas is nearly 30cents more per gallon up there. I was thinking of taking 5; 15 gallon tanks and filling them at home and just keeping them in my trunk. The added weight will only be 100 lbs. Only problem I could potentially see is if I got hit in the back my car might blow up. Is transport of gas in the trunk across state lines legal?

im serius geyes
uhh yeah its legal, but are you that cheap?
and 75 gallons of gas is way more than 100lbs chief...more like 472+lbs
oh and if its only $.30 more, then 75 gallons is only $22.50

Last edited:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
$.30 per gallon means it's an extra $4.50 per tank (assuming 15g tank, which seems basically average).

From NJ to VT is what a tank, maybe a 1.5 tanks? So to assume high, you're talking 4 tanks of gas round trip, that's an extra $18 of you pay the higher VT prices for all 4 tanks. But you're not. You'll pay more for at most 2 tank, so that's an extra $11.

For an extra $11 is it really worth it? People are way to worked up about gas prices. If you drive 80k miles a year I get it, but people who are canceling vacations due to gas prices make me shake my head.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
He'll save that $11 assuming he already owns the five empty gas containers. If he needs to buy those, he'll break even if he's lucky.
did i read his post wrong...it reads to me 5, 15 gallon tanks....or does he mean 5-15 1gallon tanks....either way the fumes would make you pass out while driving

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
If he's using the old 5 fingered discount to buy them from the guy in the next trailer down, then yes, he'll save money. Otherwise no, no way to get close to breaking even.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
just soak a rag & lay in on your face & take a nap. then you won't care that you are not in VT & maybe it will help with your spelling too.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I can't believe I'm adding to this stupidity but for the record:

Blitz 15-Gallon Professional Fuel Station™, Model# 11055

Designed with the professional in mind, the Fuel Station can be used with all types of fuel, minimizing repeated trips to the gas station.

Item# 19567

Only $99.99
Guaranteed

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and why would you bring 75 gallons??? even if you get 10mpg, VT isnt 750 miles round trip from NJ.
and thats not including the gas in your tank.
...and 5 15 gallon tanks? how big is your trunk?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
sorry i ment to write 3; 5 gallon tanks. thats 15 gallons. My car gets 25-30 mpg depending how i drive. so i can get up there on a tank then fill up there and drive home with empty tanks. i do have the tanks allready.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
sorry i ment to write 3; 5 gallon tanks. thats 15 gallons. My car gets 25-30 mpg depending how i drive. so i can get up there on a tank then fill up there and drive home with empty tanks. i do have the tanks allready.
either way try driving around for a while with some full gas cans in your car and see if the fumes don't kill you first

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Most DOT's consider this very dangerous and recommend against it unless you have a vehicle equipped for hauling gasoline. Which common sense says, your VW probably isn't.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
everyone failed in this thread for trying to reason with him.