Quantcast

Gates at Arvada BMX every Tuesday evening

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
To all the people of the gravity/DH/MX/slalom set (and anyone else interested), this is to let ya'll know that Sky High BMX II in Arvada runs gates and races every Tuesday night starting yesterday.

Here's the deal:
If you want to race, you'll have to join the NBL and then races are $7 and they run two races every Tuesday night. Gates/practice starts around 5 or so, with racing starting at 7pm. HOWEVER - we talked to them and asked about just doing gate practice, and here's what the said: as long as you have a current UCI-sanctioned license (NORBA is a part of USA Cycling which is a part of UCI) for insurance purposes and can throw them $2 to help the cause then they're down with people coming out and doing gates.

Myself and couple Mojo Wheels riders (Duc, Coop, and Heidi) went out last night and had a blast running gates, sprinting, jumping, etc. THerre weren't a lot of people out there last night, but the attendance grows as the summer moves along.

Directions:
Located in Arvada, CO in Lutz Sports Complex at 58th & Nelson. Take I-70 to Kipling, go north on Kipling to 58th, go west on 58th to first stop light which is Nelson, turn left and drive through the baseball field parking lot to the upper lot.

Tuesday's Double Header
Pre-registration until 4:30 p.m. race day 303-331-2305
Registration @ track 5:30 pm - 6:30pm
Race @ 7:00p.m.

Track Layout:
Shy High BMX II is approx. 1200 ft in length. The track consists of four 180 degree turns giving you five straight aways of BMX action. Begining from a large starting hill you will encounter a large step-up followed by a 5ft tall table top that will drop you into the first turn. Out of the turn you will come up to "DUB ZILLA" our signature big double of the track followed by a small double into another large double. Turn two leads you into the rhythm section which is partially down hill consisting of a roller, table, roller, step-up, roller , and small double out. The fourth straight has a small double leading into "Hamburger Hill" a large triple step-up followed by a table top into the last turn. The final straight will lead you to two sets of doubles just before the finish line.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
NBL License is $45 according to the folks at Sky High, but if you only wanna run gates you can do so without the NBL license. Rock!

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Mike Buell said:
I just realized i'm no longer a chimp. This is the best day of my life.
hey buell - adrian, rich and I are headed to moab from this thurs til sat, then the last nathrop preseason - care to join so we can run shuttles in moab?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
what a blast, everyone should head out next tuesday . . .

Also, they were very lax about apparel - mt was out without a helmet til gates started - no need for pants/sleeves apparently, unless you want to race, then the whole shabang is needed.

Beast said:
hey buell - adrian, rich and I are headed to moab from this thurs til sat, then the last nathrop preseason - care to join so we can run shuttles in moab?
Man I'd love to, but were leaving on Thursday for Angle Fire and not comming back till the end of June, so i'm gonna pass, already have to much to get ready and tight funds. Might make it to Nathrop
Have fun.

mtbdirteater

Chimp
Oct 19, 2003
over the rear tire
snowskilz said:
full face and long sleeves are required the last time i was there
NBL rules state face protection, most people wear a full face helmet, but you could wear one of those dorky looking Jofa (hockey type) mouth gaurds like I did when I raced in the NBL in the seventies and eighties. I see the written rules have not changed much since then.... damn that was a long time ago...

And yeah, long sleeves and pants, moto-X pants are the way to go if you have any. Azonics are a great deal for the blowout prices I've been seeing on the web lately.

Dave