Quantcast

GatorBrakes

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I sincerely doubt you will find anybody on here buying some random no name brakes that are going to be impossible to find parts for. Sorry dude. You will get a ton of smart ass replies though.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm not sure you'll get much in the way of answers from anybody on the boards, it seems like a small and fairly unknown company. the stuff looks great though, and i'm drooling over the titanium plated rotor. i'd be willing to consider trying them myself as they seem pretty well made, but it's a risk. try posting on other boards as well, mtbr and pinkbike have a ton of members so you could get a good answer out of one of those hopefully.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Nope just people like you that don't have any thing useful to contribute
Spend a little extra time on here before you start passing judgment and lighten up a little bit :)

Maybe the point is there is absolutely nothing useful to say about the breaks.

A.P.B

Chimp
Jan 6, 2006
Dont need to lighten up just commenting on what typed into a computer from some body that has nothing better to do with ther life.
And whole point is that I don't need to spend more time on Ride monkey maybe you should spend a little less and go ride.

Most company's start off small with great products and either die out before the product make it or become name brands.
Just some food for thought .

Dont need to lighten up just commenting on what typed into a computer from some body that has nothing better to do with ther life.
And whole point is that I don't need to spend more time on Ride monkey maybe you should spend a little less and go ride.

Most company's start off small with great products and either die out before the product make it or become name brands.
Just some food for thought .
So buy them and write a review; if you don't like them sell them to some sucker on ebay.
Or buy the hopes and have nothing to worry about. Just some food for thought :lighten:

tartosuc

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
montreal
I might be the only one having a set of theses...

In canada YODO bike is the distributer so it's not a problem getting parts for them

I was riding a set on my trailbike for a while, I had the 4 piston at the back and the 6 pistons up front, They are good brake,both have steel braded lines, very reliable and have lot's of power, especially the 6 pistons...compare to hopes, avids or maguras, i would says that the gators dont have the quality modulation or quality "hand feeling" of the others but they are definitely better feeling than any hayes i've ever had, plus they are really cheap... I've been using them for over 1 year on different bikes and they were trouble free.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I might be the only one having a set of theses...

In canada YODO bike is the distributer so it's not a problem getting parts for them

I was riding a set on my trailbike for a while, I had the 4 piston at the back and the 6 pistons up front, They are good brake,both have steel braded lines, very reliable and have lot's of power, especially the 6 pistons...compare to hopes, avids or maguras, i would says that the gators dont have the quality modulation or quality "hand feeling" of the others but they are definitely better feeling than any hayes i've ever had, plus they are really cheap... I've been using them for over 1 year on different bikes and they were trouble free.
Are they cheap now? I remember when they first came out they had some enormous price on them.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Deadly breaking power!
gatorbrake.com said:
Deadly braking power!

:cheers:

and to the original poster... you're asking about an obscure product made by a Taiwanese company who primarily makes brake housing, hasn't been reviewed (to my knowledge), is being sold by an online discount website who got suckered into buying them in the first place, and is distributed in the US by a company called Aplus who only has a yahoo email account. if you want a better feeling brake, the 2006 Juicy 5 203mm brake is $125, or the 2006 Juicy 7 203mm brake is $159. based on experience with the Avid product (but not with gatorbrake product) and the availability of Avid product, I'd suggest looking into those options instead.

:banana:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
my lbs had a pair in, i didn't work on them my self. but apparently there were just trouble, not much braking power.

i would just say stick with the more mainstream brands. and its not like you cant get enough braking power from standard 2 pot brakes.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
now call me crazy but isnt surface area and tires alot more important the power. that with a hookworm will suck. and even forgetting about that; isnt it surface area over power, even hayes will skid...

another stupid 1 30 in the morning post.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've ridden a reasonably well setup pair of the 6 pots, I thought they worked well and felt pretty grabby. The guy that ran them seemed to like them a lot. Judging by the bulk in the lever and caliper, they weren't light though.

I'd probably grab some juicies or juicy levers / code calipers instead if you want parts availability, and juicies will likely be a fair bit lighter.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I spoke with somebody on this board (can't remember where or who) but he said the 8 pots were pretty crappy out of the box, but broke in to perform pretty well. I think you would be better off on a set of gustavs for pure power or any of the big(er) 3 (hope shimano avid) for general use.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
now call me crazy but isnt surface area and tires alot more important the power. that with a hookworm will suck. and even forgetting about that; isnt it surface area over power, even hayes will skid...

another stupid 1 30 in the morning post.
braking force is dependent on the coefficient of friction, but friction is not dependent on surface area.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
So buy them and write a review; if you don't like them sell them to some sucker on ebay.
Or buy the hopes and have nothing to worry about. Just some food for thought :lighten:
or mabey dont buy hope that heat up and buy the king of brakes SAINTS!!!! they wont let u down...

how did that sound!!!!:cheers: :bonk:

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
or mabey dont buy hope that heat up and buy the king of brakes SAINTS!!!! they wont let u down...

how did that sound!!!!:cheers: :bonk:

My saints are awesome like woah :banana:

Yea, as stated before, there are many other brake sets out there that you will KNOW are good for around the same price.

bohorec

Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
What makes this disc brake system so unique:-

Rotor made of laser cut very high grade Japanese stainless steel - holds its shape to over 400 degrees Celsius, if it gets hotter than this and starts to warp it has memory - will straighten to within 0.002mm +/-of original shape as it cools
Caliper is cold forged using T6 7075 aircraft aluminum. Heated to 400 degrees Celsius and then pressed in a 1500 tonne press
Piston seals made in Germany - the only place capable of delivering the required quality & tolerances - 0.01mm+/-. The seals themselves are capable of withstanding temperatures in excess of 300 degrees Celsius without melting or deforming.
Magnets used are … a secret! Can function in temps over 250 degrees Celsius without losing magnetism - no springs required!
Braided hydraulic hose used is the same quality as used in race cars/motorbikes and has a minimum burst strength 1050Bar (15,000 PSI)
Uses genuine Teflon P.T.F.E. (Polytetraflouroethlene!!!!) for reduced friction, exceptional low and high temperature range & superior flex and fatigue life
Reinforced with braided Kevlar brand fibre for outstanding thermal stability
Strengthened with AISI 304 stainless wire mesh for low expansion, maximum burst strength and superior durability.
Last but not least a UV-stable anti-scratch cover to protect your investment

http://cyclesolutions.com.au/products/brakes.htm