Quantcast

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
actual feedback, I added gear oil as suggested and the fork feels quite a bit better.

I also slathered the inside with slick honey and 10cc of gold oil and there's a significant improvement in sliding friction. we'll see if any of the oil stays in the fork, as it's designed only for grease in the lowers.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You should pour shock oil all over your gears now just to even out the f**kery.
Pretty much just like how I got charged by a moose two days ago, but this morning I chased a moose down the bikepath for several hundred feet and made it run away. Net change, 0 moose.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
IDK, but two of the Emeralds that I had time on - sucked
Can confirm.
The Emerald nails the task of sucking in all areas simultaneously: class-leading amounts of flex, greatest amount of noise/clunking after half a season, highest static friction, and highest weight. It's also relatively expensive so if you like wasting money, they've got you covered there too.

The RUX is probably much better. Not inverting a fork is the first step towards not sucking.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Pretty sure you're the only person to ever think the Emerald has the highest amount of static friction of any DC fork out right now. I've heard a number of different issues with that fork, but that's certainly not one of them.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
To be honest the very first Emerald I rode (fairly new) felt great in that respect, but since then I've ridden ones with more time on them that have been quite average - not sure if it's an issue that's developed or if it's a QC thing. For whatever it's worth I've had the same experience with the new(er) espresso Marzocchis, occasionally there's a nice one but a lot of them have a bunch of stiction. In fact, those are certainly worse, so maybe I was being unfair. Given the rest of the suck though, why bother...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
For that issue, sounds like someone either 1) didn't know how to install the axle on a floating axle fork - it can bind quite easily in that case, or 2) put in Maxima oil. The seals are known to react negatively with certain oils.

There are very few sources of friction in that fork, and that is one thing that is all handled pretty well.