Quantcast

General Whistler thread

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
So I'm on the fence about heading to Whistler in August this year (from Australia) so why not have a general Whistler thread to get the 'bro stoke' stoked...

A few initial questions:

How are the new Creekside trails?

I've heard that they've put an irrigation line in down A-line? Is it holding up better?

Thoughts on getting a season pass for a 3 week stay?

Any other comments welcome!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks that trail looks incredibly homogenous and boring? I think I'd have more fun going to the gym and doing squats.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
they're all really fun, equally, but totally different. I don't really ride the park much anymore, but opening day on creekside I rode 6 hours straight and only ventured off creekside for a lap to the village and then one on garbo.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Thanks for the replies/comments, guys. Booked flights yesterday! Pretty keen to check out the new Creekside trails and the old favourites, of course. Taking the unridabru™ 26" DH bike. Can feel the braking bumps already...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just got back last night. First day was awesome. Rest of the week was in the 80s. Trails were slowly drying out, but still good riding...

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
Heading up to Whistler at the end of the month. Was thinking about saving some pesos and I was wondering if someone has any camping spots they would recommend?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Are you guys on Endurbro/trail bikes or DH rigs? I just spent a few days in Whistler a couple weeks ago. Did a few park laps to check out the new Creekside stuff (Delayed Fuse was pretty mental in the rain - nice track but the bridges were shite) but mostly rode some of the other trails around the valley. If you spend a day outside the lift-accessed park there's some really wild stuff and nice loamy lines still out there. I found the park seems super polished these days. I'd say tamed down but some of the jump lines are mental now.

What happened to the old GLC drop btw? I haven't been to Whistler since 2014 when the drop got made "safe for everyone" (in 2010 you had to clear a small hole). But now its gone completely? Too many people overshoot and end up on the GLC patio or something?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Original Sin -> In Deep = winning
OId pic, but still. Triple Hump gets the blood pumping.

Are you guys on Endurbro/trail bikes or DH rigs? I just spent a few days in Whistler a couple weeks ago. Did a few park laps to check out the new Creekside stuff (Delayed Fuse was pretty mental in the rain - nice track but the bridges were shite) but mostly rode some of the other trails around the valley. If you spend a day outside the lift-accessed park there's some really wild stuff and nice loamy lines still out there. I found the park seems super polished these days. I'd say tamed down but some of the jump lines are mental now.

What happened to the old GLC drop btw? I haven't been to Whistler since 2014 when the drop got made "safe for everyone" (in 2010 you had to clear a small hole). But now its gone completely? Too many people overshoot and end up on the GLC patio or something?
GLC drop is gone, I think it was last year they put in kind of a fader to replace it. You can definitely get some speed coming in and send it, but not much air because of the way the jump is built.

We did a lap on Earth Circus, which was kind of cool. Super fresh packed berms and it was really good. Couple buddies that stayed a little longer rode Delayed Fuse the next day when they re-opened it and said it was really good. Just steep-techy loam all the way down. Sounds like it is still super fresh and should get burned in a little more.

I love Whistler and riding the park, but so much good stuff around Squamish and other areas. Still want to go hit some actual Northshore trails.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I love Whistler and riding the park, but so much good stuff around Squamish and other areas. Still want to go hit some actual Northshore trails.
Same. I've done three seperate holidays to Whistler with a DH bike in the past. This year I only had my trail bike mostly because I was there killing time before an enduro, but also to shit kidwoo. I did a few days in Whistler, a few in Squamish, plus a day in Pemberton and Cypress Moutain (kind of North Shore I guess). Squamish is friggen brilliant and well worth spending a few days in. I just prefer the less polished, more natural/raw feel of the out-of-park trails these days - loam for days. Creekside trails seemed to be newer and fresher - reminded me of the stuff in Queenstown/Sun Peaks a lot. The main park trails are polished like crazy now though - I guess 10,000 runs a day will do that to a park.

Whistler is still the go-to for easy access to great riding and good drinking/party venues but if time and money permits I'd recommend getting to the less busy parks like Sun Peaks or Kicking Horse for a few days, or organising shuttles in Pemby or Squamish. Whistler still wins out for nightlife though. The other parks were ghost towns after the sun goes down.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have been interested in driving and bringing both bikes, just to ride some more variety and some other stuff on the way up. Maybe a long camping trip with the family with some riding mixed in. Lord of the Squirrels is on the bucket list. One of my buddies rode it and said it was amazing and he rides a shit ton all over everywhere (that was actually last year, had a rental booked and then broke myself off the day before on Crabapple...)

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
LOTS was under snow when I got there. It must be a late season thing. Also, I dunno if the locals were taking the piss or not, but a couple different people told me to ride it with others, not solo on account of mountain lions?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I wouldn’t ride it solo the first time at least. It’s a pretty big ride and you’re out in the backcountry.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
LOTS was under snow when I got there. It must be a late season thing. Also, I dunno if the locals were taking the piss or not, but a couple different people told me to ride it with others, not solo on account of mountain lions?
we just opened it as of today, actually, still some snow coverage along the On The Rocks section in the alpine. Riding it alone depends on your comfort with a lot of things. I've done it solo a couple of times and it's not much different than riding solo anywhere else in the valley other than you're a lot further from help if you tie yourself off. The weather changes quick up there too and it can go to no vis really quickly with heavy cloud/fog/rain. Chromag guys spent a night in the alpine up there a bunch of years ago before we built the network and they were trying to get to up up and away and the weather moved in. The cougar's are pretty much everywhere, probably more sightings down in the valley where I ride regularly than up in the old growth.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
We did a lap on Earth Circus, which was kind of cool. Super fresh packed berms and it was really good. Couple buddies that stayed a little longer rode Delayed Fuse the next day when they re-opened it and said it was really good. Just steep-techy loam all the way down. Sounds like it is still super fresh and should get burned in a little more.

You should have seen delayed fuse last year when they opened it for 2 days as a preview...It was called 'Muffy Fluff' at that point, for real loamer in the bike park...Interested to ride it now after all the traffic it's had. Can't wait to be back in Whistler...