Quantcast

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The UCI absolutely has jurisdiction for what road bike designs can be in their race events, and they enforce it rigidly. Since the non-UCI affiliated road racing scene is tiny, and for all practical (read: marketing) purposes non-existant, brands will continue to offer UCI-compliant designs, because that's what Joe and Jane roadie see on the TV and want to buy. This brings the problem with road racing sponsorship into clear view- anyone can go ride a bike on the road, and anyone can watch the Tour de Steroids and think "I wouldn't be as fast as those guys, but I would love to ride those bikes in that countryside." This principle (not even a delusion, since it's actually possible) is what sells a ton of bikes, especially those high-zoot carbon Di2 models that no one outside of the pro ranks will ever put to proper use and nicely pad bike maker's bottom lines. So economically they have no good reason to deviate from the UCI's rules, because the races and pros who follow the rules sell the bikes.

Contrast this with the gravity side of mtb (yay for forum relevance), which has been driving mtb design for a while but thanks to the lack of restrictions we keep seeing meaningful geometry improvements year on year.
all of this. every. single. bit.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
all of this. every. single. bit.
What professional road racing team you riding for this year Jonsey?

@Wuffles Same question to you.

Plus...

Care to explain the hordes of disc brake spec'd roadbikes produced and sold by major manufacturers in the year BEFORE discs were finally allowed in the UCI handbook?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Two things:

1. As mentioned at least twice already, slacker head tube angles on a road bike would be terrifying in wheel-chatteringly-fast corners. If you don't understand why, you should probably try to before making design suggestions.

2. If I am not too mistaken, head angle geometry has been getting progressively steeper on skinny tire bikes to keep up with performance needs...not the other way around.

Okay, three things:

3. I really miss Eurosport.
2. What? Why is it steeper?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Plus...

Care to explain the hordes of disc brake spec'd roadbikes produced and sold by major manufacturers in the year BEFORE discs were finally allowed in the UCI handbook?
Maybe they knew UCI will allow them.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Total seat-of-the-pants point of my part, but: compare roadie headtube angles now to those from 50 years ago. Older road-bikes are slacker, which was probably because the road conditions were crappier. However, as road conditions improved, it was possible to optimize geometry by steepening the angles for better power transfer and hard cornering performance.

Again, anecdotal, but I am pretty sure that my current Taiwanese crabon roadie is quite a bit steeper than my first roadie, which was a mid 80s steel Pullaghi or something like that. My current -steeper- ride handles much better for the type of stuff it is meant to do.

EDIT: Looking at images on the google it appears that older roadies just had more rake. <shrug>

Motorsports analogy (of questionable validity): just because 30 inches of wheel travel works great in a Trophy Truck, doesn't mean you need it on an F-1 rig.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not sure if any of you are aware. but plenty production road racing frames use different head and seat angles throughout the frame sizing. not just the longer toptubes, seat tubes and head tubes that you generally find in mtb frame design.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or bag the racing crap and just ride your bike...
Dude. I'm well aware of how many folk buy roadbikes with zero intention of ever racing them. nevermind UCI ranked racing. Vs number of folk who will actually buy a racing licence.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Total seat-of-the-pants point of my part, but: compare roadie headtube angles now to those from 50 years ago. Older road-bikes are slacker, which was probably because the road conditions were crappier. However, as road conditions improved, it was possible to optimize geometry by steepening the angles for better power transfer and hard cornering performance.

Again, anecdotal, but I am pretty sure that my current Taiwanese crabon roadie is quite a bit steeper than my first roadie, which was a mid 80s steel Pullaghi or something like that. My current -steeper- ride handles much better for the type of stuff it is meant to do.

EDIT: Looking at images on the google it appears that older roadies just had more rake. <shrug>

Motorsports analogy (of questionable validity): just because 30 inches of wheel travel works great in a Trophy Truck, doesn't mean you need it on an F-1 rig.
How is steeper head angle better for cornering? They do it to increase the weight over the front wheel? I didn't think that was a problem with the position that roadies use and I don't see any other reason to do so. Faster steering at 90kph seems like a bad idea. I just don't see the benefits of not going slacker.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not sure if any of you are aware. but plenty production road racing frames use different head and seat angles throughout the frame sizing. not just the longer toptubes, seat tubes and head tubes that you generally find in mtb frame design.
Yeah I know it. I just don't understand the reasoning behind super steep head angles when you already have a ton of weight over the front wheel and the gradients both up and down are smaller than in XC racing so you don't really have to worry about front wheel getting jiggly

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
eh?

What makes you think there's a ton of weight over the front wheel?

you don't really have to worry about front wheel getting jiggly
Er.. you really should re-think that statement.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
eh?

Yeah a road bike with a 73° STA and short stays. A lot of weight is in the rear. With reach getting longer this has lighted the front wheel.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
How is steeper head angle better for cornering? They do it to increase the weight over the front wheel? I didn't think that was a problem with the position that roadies use and I don't see any other reason to do so. Faster steering at 90kph seems like a bad idea. I just don't see the benefits of not going slacker.
I never bothered to think about WHY this is the case, but my experience indicates that current geometry is better for road riding. Racing crits on modern road bike geometry feels right. It's comfortable, it's efficient and it's predictable. I can -though don't often- push the speed in corners till the tires chatter and I know that my tires are gonna be equally weighted without having to move my COG forward. On my trail bike I change my COG constantly depending on where I want traction bias. The thought of racing a crit on my touring bike gives me visions of understeer in hard corners and imprecise steering in the pack. In order to compensate for that, I'd have to move my COG forward on the fly, which would completely fack up my pedaling efficiency. That said racing cyclocross on my slacker touring bike would be doable and possibly an advantage for rougher courses. I dunno what else to tell you.

Fwiw, I don't think anyone is saying to make the head angle steeper than it is now.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
eh?

The bars are really low.

As for the bars getting jiggly - seriously? I've done a few famous climbs from Euro Tours and they don't have those super steep sections that sometimes popup on XC racing tracks.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I never bothered to think about WHY this is the case, but my experience indicates that current geometry is better for road riding. Racing crits on modern road bike geometry feels right. It's comfortable, it's efficient and it's predictable. I can -though don't often- push the speed in corners till the tires chatter and I know that my tires are gonna be equally weighted without having to move my COG forward. On my trail bike I change my COG constantly depending on where I want traction bias. The thought of racing a crit on my touring bike gives me visions of understeer in hard corners and imprecise steering in the pack. In order to compensate for that, I'd have to move my COG forward on the fly, which would completely fack up my pedaling efficiency. That said racing cyclocross on my slacker touring bike would be doable and possibly an advantage for rougher courses. I dunno what else to tell you.

Fwiw, I don't think anyone is saying to make the head angle steeper than it is now.
Why are you talking about pedaling efficency when we are talking about downhill cornering? I get that modern road bikes feel comfortable I just don't think that's a really strong argument since for many people old steep as shit downhill bikes also felt comfortable and new ones were "too slack". Not saying we should go slacker on road bikes. Just trying to understand.

@Cerberus75 isn't this offset by the low bars? At least to some degree?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@norbar have you honestly never heard of a roadbike speed wobble or shimmy?

Bars being low does not equal weighted front wheel. Far from it infact.

Have you also never seen a professional road cyclists torso?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
@norbar have you honestly never heard of a roadbike speed wobble or shimmy?

Bars being low does not equal weighted front wheel. Far from it infact.

Have you also never seen a professional road cyclists torso?
Gary no reason to get so emotional. I know what is road bike wobble. Yeah I have seen roadies torso but I don't know the exact weight distribution on road bikes. As someone else has mentioned - short cs + long reach means the front has relatively little weight on it and since roads aren't super steep slack head angle may be a problem all other things being constant.

Still one thing makes me wonder (I know it's annoying for you but then again - what isn't?) why are short stays popular in road bikes?

Also what's wrong with me being curious about road bikes? Is it better we only post pics of our bikes and argue who hates the bike industry more?

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
@Cerberus75 isn't this offset by the low bars? At least to some degree?[/QUOTE]

Not really with a slack STA your weigh is pretty planted between the rear axle and Bottom bracket. Even in the hoods I dont have my weight in them unless standing. I can remove a hand or both while seated. And I'm more top heavy than most guys on a bike.

On my MTB the STA is 77° this changes a lot for me. During long peddly rides my hands would go numb (I do have nerve damage from powerlifting and martial arts so this happens easily) didn't stop till I slammed my seat back. So I'm going to get a set back post. So I Can still slide it forward on days where I'm only in the saddle while climbing.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'd like to try a bike with a slacker HA because I think it would be fun, but it seems to me like the much bigger point is a shorter HT, much longer front center, and a much shorter stem.

Wuffles

Monkey
Feb 24, 2016

Plus...

Team Basic Economic Logic. Our kit is covered in dolla' bills. Whose yours?

As far as disc brakes go, the UCI flat out told everyone they were going to allow discs on the road at some point in the future, and since they already took over CX the writing was on the wall for all to see. Team Basic Economic Logic strikes again.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Still one thing makes me wonder (I know it's annoying for you but then again - what isn't?) why are short stays popular in road bikes?
So that they’re easier to manual, duh

(Unless you’re Gary, for whom all bikes manual equally well.)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't consider them especially short. (and you can but roadbikes with longer chainstys). look at the whole bike's geometry. The entire bike is short. most meduims are sub 1000mm wheelbase.

Also what's wrong with me being curious about road bikes? Is it better we only post pics of our bikes and argue who hates the bike industry more?
There's nothing wrong with being curious. But go and ride one. infact, a few (probably for a few years) before thinking you've worked out how to improve the handling of them by simply stealing ideas from downhill mountainbiking and throwing them randomly at the design process.

Now... now.. .@toshi... That's not really what I said and you know it.

I'm not emotional. Unless you find a *sigh* a highly emotional state.

Ps. This is the exact opposite of "make it stop!"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for the amount of resources it takes to make a high end road race frame these days - engineering resources, FEA, prototyping, wind tunnel time, etc - do you honestly think it makes financial sense for a bike company to make a road race bike UCI compliant and then not release it to the public for sale? seriously, where do you honestly thing that R&D money is gonna come from? e-bikes? how do you expect them to recoup those costs?

first that by eliminating the need for braking surfaces on the rims, it opens up huge possibilities in terms of aerodynamics and lightweighting since rims won't have to withstand the forces and temperatures associated with rim brakes. and both know roadies eat that shit up like hotcakes, and second (speculation) was to pressure the UCI to allow them for competition.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
first that by eliminating the need for braking surfaces on the rims, it opens up huge possibilities in terms of aerodynamics and lightweighting since rims won't have to withstand the forces and temperatures associated with rim brakes..
As of right now, disc setups have a 'tad' more wind drag than rim brakes...but I am sure they are working on it as we type.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I don't consider them especially short. (and you can but roadbikes with longer chainstys). look at the whole bike's geometry. The entire bike is short. most meduims are sub 1000mm wheelbase.

There's nothing wrong with being curious. But go and ride one. infact, a few (probably for a few years) before thinking you've worked out how to improve the handling of them by simply stealing ideas from downhill mountainbiking and throwing them randomly at the design process.

Now... now.. .@toshi... That's not really what I said and you know it.

I'm not emotional. Unless you find a *sigh* a highly emotional state.

Ps. This is the exact opposite of "make it stop!"
What's the reason for short roadbikes then? It's not like they need to be super agile or am I missing something? Seriously I have no clue about roadbike geometry.

Also I have never said I worked out how to improve handling. Remember I wasn't the one who started this topic. You have misplaced your annoyance here. I'm just curious why the proposed ideas won't work. Also I ride road bikes. I use one to get to work. I just don't think about them too much.

Also a *sigh* is as emotional as brits get, isn't it?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
and they will slice you up when the peloton crashes :rolleyes:
The one claimed by a crashed rider and then hyped by the media event turned out to be a normal racing accident with chainring involved. Strangely enough the media was not reporting that as loudly as the disc cut story.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Short answer. They're not short @norbar

I'm not annoyed. Surprised at people's pre/misconceptions maybe . Only because it's here though