Quantcast

Get some grip(s)

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Need some new grips. (I know, not very exciting)
I've always used Odi Ruffians with the dual lock on clamps but wanted to try the new offerings from them with the single clamp called "Elite Motion".
I like the idea of not having that outside lock ring as sometimes it can be uncomfortable.
With only one lock ring I'm concerned that the grip may slip or have that loose feeling.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Single clamps work fine. I cut a pair down to use with gripshifts and only have one clamp. They never gave me any issues. I'm sure if they're made to be that way they'll work fine too.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Shouldn't be a problem, odi knows what they're doing.
I switched from ruffians to ergon single clamp grips and haven't had any slipping issues.
Added bonus of not pinching hand as hard with tree strikes, too.
Check out the ergon ge-1 grips if you ride the outside edge of your bars, I like the added real estate they provide.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
http://www.bikemag.com/gear/components/controls/review-odi-elite-flow-grips/

well shit, brah.

Thinking of picking up those elites for my bike soon. Can't find the old intense half waffle/half flange that I loved so much. I did not like the ergon GA1s I had. They were extremely firm rubber/plastic with just a coating of grippy rubber on top. I much prefer a little give in the rubber, like non-locks give. I've also tried WTB 4-front and RAV-X something or others that combine a soft rubber top with a hard plastic bottom.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
I really like the ODI flow grips.
I got those and the pro version that has more pad under the palm. I liked the flow much better, and this is coming from years of ODI/oury grips. You can really feel the thicker part of the grip and get it where you want it.
No issues with the single clamp slipping, they are solid.

Team Keene the American Dream FTW!

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Was running Rogue's for years - not perfect but best I've found long-term
Decided to try something else, everybody said go thinner you'll love it they said....
Got a set of Deathgrips in the awesome camo as seen above.
Love them except - they don't have enough vibration damping - the hand with the nerve damage is complaining to management. Flow trails, no problem, but get into teh rough and ouch. Just not thick enough to cushion the way I need. Back to the search.

What about ESI Chunky or Extra Chunky?

Rogues are 32mm, Chunky is 32, EX is 34...

Anybody want to chime in with ideas for decent trail feel, but thick enough to kill some vibration?
Single inboard clamp prefered to dual but I'll live.

The old time Rogue should have lotsa competition by now - what do you recommend?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Decided to try something else, everybody said go thinner you'll love it they said....
Love them except - they don't have enough vibration damping - the hand with the nerve damage is complaining to management. Flow trails, no problem, but get into teh rough and ouch. Just not thick enough to cushion the way I need. Back to the search.

Anybody want to chime in with ideas for decent trail feel, but thick enough to kill some vibration?

The old time Rogue should have lotsa competition by now - what do you recommend?
I like my ergon ge-1. (Because enduro)
Come in two thicknesses.
I use the larger size, coming from ruffians, and my hands and broken multiple times wrists appreciated the change.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
You should definitely hack your bars to a sharp point and run WTB grips, they're the best ever, the marketing guy told me so.

No problems with my single clamp grips, though I'm tempted to go back to old school slip ons with a bit of wire because I never actually need to remove them anymore for service.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I put my money where my mouth is - Serfas Silicone grips. I have them on the Balance and on the DHR. They dampen vibrations very nicely.

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada

I run the extra chunky ESI , my only real complaint is they have a off center hole and they do rotate . you start with the thickest portion of the grip under your palm , but over time they spin and you get the thinnest portion under the palm .

Would I invest in silicone grips again , YES!!! they made a difference on long climbs , and on long decents

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
just picked up some of brendawgs grips. there's a bit of an internal taper to the core, so they snug onto the end of the bar.

what are they like gloveless?
Feel? thickness?

I really like thin diameter grips and am struggling to find anything decent in a lock-on anymore.
I absolutely HATED the feel of mushroom grips back in the early BMX days. So much so the inboard part kinda gives me the creeps just looking at it but I'm pretty sure all of my hand would be outboard of that bit. failing that Stanley knives were made for a reason. ;)

Last edited:

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Feel? thickness?

I really like thin diameter grips and am struggling to find anything decent in a lock-on anymore.
I absolutely HATED the feel of mushroom grips back in the early BMX days. So much so the inboard part kinda gives me the creeps just looking at it but I'm pretty sure all of my hand would be outboard of that bit. failing that Stanley knives were made for a reason. ;)
And these were your next-fave?? ;)

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Need some new grips. (I know, not very exciting)
I've always used Odi Ruffians with the dual lock on clamps but wanted to try the new offerings from them with the single clamp called "Elite Motion".
I like the idea of not having that outside lock ring as sometimes it can be uncomfortable.
With only one lock ring I'm concerned that the grip may slip or have that loose feeling.
Anyone have any experience with them?
Not with that specific grip.

But I really like the Transition OEM grips, they are a single lock on. No problems.
Also the Santa Cruz OEM Grips that come on their completes are single ring and the only problem I had with those was a broken grip from smashing a tree.
ODI- AG1 on my DH bike for most of the season and no slipping there either.
Specialized OEM singe ring grips on my wife's stumpjumper, my stumpjumper and also now on my fatbike, the stumpy's are gone, but I don't recall any issues, and no problems on the winter cruiser.

My major complaint with single ring grips is the durability of the end, I tend to tear them up when I hit trees.

Otherwise I've become a fan of the single ring for the exact reason you described, they are more comfortable and allow more hand position movement's on longer rides when needed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've been digging the ODI Elite Pro grips lately. I've got relatively big hands and found the Gwin version too small/not enough cushion. These are great if you want just a little more without something as thick as Oury, etc. They also have a slightly harder rubber at the outside edge that is comfortable to hold on to but doesn't blow through as easily as others.

upload_2016-8-3_11-9-36.jpeg

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Feel? thickness?

the grips are a bit on the narrow side (ie, 4 1/2" effective width), so you're definitely going to be using the mushroom bit. i didn't like the full mushrooms either, but this gives a bit of cush to the thumb area, and the rest of the grip is aggressively grippy. comes in two diameters - i've got the larger ones, that feel spot on gloveless (i like to go a bit larger diameter sans gloves). not bad, overall, tho i'm missing the high frequency absorption of my previous esi's.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I listened to you all, or at least some of you, and picked this stuff up today at Golden Bike Shop:

That bar tape is for my commuter, on the inner section of my weird-ass multi-bend bars. Expensive shit, that. Grip color choices were blue and puke green, ugh.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I listened to you all, or at least some of you, and picked this stuff up today at Golden Bike Shop:

That bar tape is for my commuter, on the inner section of my weird-ass multi-bend bars. Expensive shit, that. Grip color choices were blue and puke green, ugh.
Keep an Allen handy on first ride so can adjust the grip orientation. Basic rule of thumb is to match logo orientation but it took me a few adjustments to dial it in.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Sensus slide ons for me w/ krylon spray adhesive. I used to be a disciple of ODI Ruffian but w/ split perch controls i like the softness and end nubs of the sensus. Grips are like religion don't discuss while drinking, everyone has an opinion and none of them are 'correct'.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Hairspray was always my go to. Of course with 5 sisters and it being the 80's, it was pretty easy to come by.
Air nozzle w/ Cyclecraft Fred'z handlebars. Similar to RL Forklifter with open ends on the lower bout. O-Wing and A'me Tri grips would pump up, slip over, never slip.

I never bagged a babe, so Hairspray was just out of my reach.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
My brother got some nice redline single lock, they are pretty soft for lock on.
I like slip on, for thin, I have some kink samurai grips on my dj bike, they are awesome. Wider and softer, 29mm I think.