Quantcast

.*. Get up, get up, get up .*.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
You'd probably want more than 1 sheet to get the desired thickness, just offset the seam from one layer to the next.

Thinking about it, I'd honestly be tempted to just run MDF with hardwood nosing, shit's dirt cheap paints beautifully and available in 10' sheets.
I've thought about both of those too. Our other built-in's are MDF and just fine. Explain mounting the hardwood nosing. I was just thinking about running the router down if I were to go the MDF route.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I've thought about both of those too. Our other built-in's are MDF and just fine. Explain mounting the hardwood nosing. I was just thinking about running the router down if I were to go the MDF route.
I don't like MDF corners, they tend to dent easily. A big radius on them helps a lot, but what I typically do it just glue & nail a strip of something harder along the edge so that anything that happens to bonk the corner of the top is hitting maple instead of MDF.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I don't like MDF corners, they tend to dent easily. A big radius on them helps a lot, but what I typically do it just glue & nail a strip of something harder along the edge so that anything that happens to bonk the corner of the top is hitting maple instead of MDF.
And I can get that pre-shaped... Time to get the paint out and start looking at the extra MDF in the garage for testing purposes.

Much appreciated!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
And I can get that pre-shaped... Time to get the paint out and start looking at the extra MDF in the garage for testing purposes.

Much appreciated!
If you're using a water-based paint, seal or prime the MDF with something non water-based to prevent it swelling. That's the downside of working with MDF, waterbased finishes suck ass.

I prime with BIN alcohol based primer, then sand and add a second coat of BIN if required, then top coat with General Finishes Milk paint, followed by as much clear poly as I think it should have based on where it'll be used. Sounds like a PITA, but all the layers dry really quickly, so I can shoot something entirely in about a day.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Apparently a Blackhawk just landed at Haley's school.

Guess they're pulling her out of retirement for one last mission...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Woman who keeps climbing my Fire Escape to "Smoke". Does not live here. Today I noticed Her Crouching down in my Alley. I asked Her to leave. About and hour later Her and her Old Man were building a Shelter. I asked them to leave and Her Old Man asked me what my problem was and told me to fuck off. They then threatened me. Since he had a hammer in his hand I felt threatened. Instead of taking matters into my own hands I called 911. The Cops came and made them leave. They left and just came right back. Me and the maintenance guy dismantled the impromptu shelter and placed it on the street. Before they could gather their stuff. A Scraper grabbed it up. So the "Oldman" confronted me by tapping on my neighbors window and scaring the fuck out of Her. I spoke to Him and told them to scram. He threatened me again. He was above me on the fire escape. Mr Shotgun came out and Ms Smoker gal and Her Old Man were above me of the fire escape. To get down would have been a 25" jump. I relented and let them down as they were being loud and called 911 again. The Cops asked me to call them first next time and arrested them both for trespassing. What a pain in the ass.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Quality, Safety, Cost

Need to bookmark this for when you move to CT.
if anyone is even silly enough to offer me a job as a museum director (tbd), weather and location will certainly play a major role in the decision to move or not...growing up in ct, going to college in me, and going to round one of grad school in chicago gave me a healthy dislike of winter for sure. would more than doubling my current salary be enough to overcome that? we shall see...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
based on zero minutes of research i'd guess that the city of charlotte is as liberal as your part of pennsyltucky. and that you, like me, don't interact much with the locals when you venture into the hills...
But you have to deal with the whims of the rednecks when it comes to laws and such. So... Snow me, please.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
based on zero minutes of research i'd guess that the city of charlotte is as liberal as your part of pennsyltucky. and that you, like me, don't interact much with the locals when you venture into the hills...
i see confederate flags on a weekly if not near daily basis. and i live north of the mason dixon line. your argument is invalid.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
WTF is with the tiny T's? :rofl:

Screenshot_20211025-171943.png

Copy/pasted:

Wte ntotitced a rtecetnt lotgitn for ytour atccoutnt, thetre's beten acttivity in yotur acctount tthat steetms unutsual comtpared to actcoutnt.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
But you have to deal with the whims of the rednecks when it comes to laws and such. So... Snow me, please.
not really...we, too, have a democratic governor. we're not tx or fl. you have boebert, we have cawthorn...sure we're less blue overall than co, but not by much. i'll take year round riding over some riding and lots of complaining about being stuck in traffic for skiing. carry on.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
go ahead....let them talk out of their ass...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
not really...we, too, have a democratic governor. we're not tx or fl. you have boebert, we have cawthorn...sure we're less blue overall than co, but not by much. i'll take year round riding over some riding and lots of complaining about being stuck in traffic for skiing. carry on.
Plus east coast skiing sucks generally

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Legislature is what matters. That's where the laws are written.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Naw, man... he wouldn't like it out here. Sucks out here. It's the reason we complain so much about it. Nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.

:p
I didn't tell him to come here. Just that rednecks sucks. Oh, and that we're better. :D