Quantcast

Get well Karin!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I wanted to start a thread for my friend Karin who crashed really big time at Angel Fire and broke her collar bone, got some internal bleeding in her brain, and had to be flown to Denver. She’s out for the next couple of months and I know could really use some positive vibes right now.

Karin is such a ripper. I met her at Sea Otter where she killed the downhill on her trail bike. A couple of months later she beat me again at Downieville. She is one of the nicest persons I’ve ever gotten to race with. She’s fun and gracious and speedy as can be. She invited me down to SLO and spent the time touring me around her trails and just generally being a great host.

Heal up fast girl!

p.s. Her spot racing expert in Downieville is open. So lemme know if any of you want to take her spot and I'll pass it on to her.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
Wow! Healing vibes are being sent her way.

My friend said he saw a medical helicopter land but we didn't really hear anything else about it. Scary stuff!

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
I can't imagine ever having to call my mom to tell her I was just flown to the hospital because there is internal bleeding in my brain.

Kinda wishing my full face was moto rated.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
Yikes. Very scary. One of my friends separated her shoulder there and another broke his hand, which will require surgery.

Really hope she's doing well. I do have a moto rated fullface for racing DH. I landed on my head once with my Bell fullface and temporarily lost part of my vision. Not cool at all... Bought the moto one the next weekend.

That Downieville spot is super tempting. My husband would be way jealous though if I went and he couldn't...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
amyd -- will you update us with how she's doing, when you know? I keep thinking about her, and I don't even know her.
It’s weird because this really hit me too. Since I don’t really have any aspirations to race pro downhill, sometimes I wonder why I race at all. Is it worth the risk? But then I think of how I met Karin in the first place - through races. Drinking beers together after a hot race run where we instantaneously became friends.

Karin is so positive… roaring to heal up so she can take Judo lessons so she can learn how to fall properly. I’m so proud of her turning pro this year and so disappointed we won’t be hanging out together at Downieville.

bachianas

Chimp
Nov 9, 2006
San Luis Obispo
Amy, you're soo cool..

A friend just told me that he saw a bunch of posts from people sending good vibes out to me on this website... it had to be Amy's work...

I just want to say thank youuu.. I loove the biking community... It's great to have so much support...

I'm doing great. The internal bleeding in the brain cleared up well, so no worries there.. it's just a muscle anyways :) I rang my bell with that same helmet a couple of times before & should have replaced it... oh well... lesson learned...

I'm just nursing the broken collar bone, which is healing up fast too...

Dont ever give up on mountain biking cause of fear of injuries.. It's sooo worth it, trust me.. Im saying this wearing a sling... You might get injured occasionally, but biking keeps you so darn healthy and happy, that if you get hurt, you'll heal well & fast... mostly cause you'll be dying to get back on the bike

anyways.... Go RACE Downieville.. Its AWESOME... It's my favorite race... I'll probably go just to hang out...

Ride strong,
Karin

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Cheers for pulling through, that must have been pretty scary. Quick healing on the collar bone.

I'm going shopping for a new helmet now. Thanks for the reminder.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
Karin:

My best for your complete and quick recovery.
Just wondering what kind of helmet/body armor you were wearing and if it held up or DID NOT hold up the way you wished.
Might also help some people who are shopping around for that kind of stuff.

Thanks,
Kat