Quantcast

Getting a ****ty co-worker fired or make him quit?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
So I have a co-worker who was hired right around 3 months ago who started off good, then quickly turned into a lazy, rule bending, constantly eating, waste of space employee.

Usually, I would not care. But I work directly with/above him (since I have been with the company for almost a year now). So his lazy work ethics directly affect my work load. He takes EXTRA long breaks and has been warned about it from our boss. He also really doesn't ever get much work done unless someone is sitting behind him and making him work. He also loudly listens to music in our quiet office and blatantly watches youtube videos (laughing LOUD in the quiet office while smacking the desk, etc).

Hes a awful employee and I would be happy to take the extra work load if he left.

My boss is aware he blows it regularly and asked me to keep track of his "work schedule" while she is out of town for 3 weeks. Everyone on the team has a set schedule to work around each other. He doesn't stick to it at all.

Yesterday he only worked 5 hours in the 8 hour day with all of the breaks and extended lunch time he took with no excuse... Barely 5 hours.

This guy is blatantly breaking rules and annoying other employees. And its for sure gotten worse while the boss is out of town on business/vacation.

Give me some some honest/real ideas here. I want him out of here. I am tired of all the BS. I just don't know what to do...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
sounds like your boss is a dumbfvck. he knows and doesn't care.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Should I go around my boss and to the CEO? The bad thing about that is that this guy is friends with the CEO (this might also be while he feels hes so entitled to do whatever he wants). And also this might piss off my boss by going around her. But then again shes been out of town for 2 weeks already and still will be out for another week.

Or should I bring it to the HR guys attention?

Again, I am usually super lax/don't care about this BS and don't want to be a snitch in the office, but this is directly affecting my job.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Ummm... your BOSS should take care of this. Is she afraid to?
Shes out of town. I have brought the issues to her attention before she left, but all it ended with him jokingly getting scolded by her about making up time for the non 8 hour days hes done.

He also thinks its chill to "work from home" even though our job can only be done in the office unless hes calling students from his personal cell phone. Such BS. I am so sick of it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Be honest about what your boss has asked.

If she asked for the guys hours, put it in a spreadsheet and give it to her when she gets back. No more, no less.

First of all, this is not your company or your employee. If you don't like it, tough. This wouldn't be the first or the last nincompoop you work with.

Second, there are a lot of scenarios where the better employee is shown the door because he bitched too much. Even if they fire this fool a week after you go.

I would just do your job, avoid doing his, keep your complaints to yourself unless someone asks for your opinion.

Doing anything else might get rid of this guy but probably not and just create a lousy reputation for yourself as a complainer.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Have Stinky come to your job for a few days, that guys will pack his own crap and get the hell out of there for sure.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am doing my own job, its just whenever he doesn't do his, I get more work. And goes unnoticed.

I am planning on submitting a spreadsheet to the boss when she gets back and I know for sure another employee will be complaining about his lack of work and youtube action.

He just an hour 'break' at 9 and then just took another 20 min to go get food. I hate this ****.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Going around the boss to the CEO will be a very, very bad move. That's a fast track to nowhere....possibly out the door for you of lots of mistrust developed towards you by your boss.

Just do what was asked and let the chips fall where they do. If you spend all of your time keeping track of this guy, when will it leave you any time for your own work/ goofing off on Ridemonkey time?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
cut the guy some slack for crissakes & don't be such an up tight prick. :D

& if you go to the boss you are gonna look like a tool.

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just do what was asked and let the chips fall where they do. If you spend all of your time keeping track of this guy, when will it leave you any time for your own work/ goofing off on Ridemonkey time?
Fair enough and probably the best idea.

Feels good to vent a bit.

PS - I know how to manage my time, work, and projects well enough to be able to have my RM time. =]

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Unfortunately, I am in a similar position with another teacher in my district and I am now being asked to assume a portion of their duties because they "can't handle it" "are too overwhelmed/drowning". I find it completely unacceptable and have documented all of my concerns. I have spoken to all of the administrators and am stuck. Definitely sucks, but have all your ducks in a row...document everything!!!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
what do you do?
I do technical support for 12 online colleges for a few thousand students. Anywhere from right out of high school kids to grandma trying to learn how to use the computer.

Email, phone, live chat, etc support. Used to just be me and now is "split up" between the 2 of us.

Not the best job I have ever had, but its the closest to home for ok pay I have found in the past couple years.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
oh.

so...when he can't answer calls you get to answer them for him?
so he has a direct impact on your work load?

ignore post #23.:agree:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Do you they do performance evals at your work? If so, document all the BS and that would be the appropriate time to bring it up.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Once again (I have said many times before here on this bulletin board) careers are 20th century inventions meant to enslave us into lives of consumerism. we are not evolutionary capable of these situations.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
oh.

so...when he can't answer calls you get to answer them for him?
so he has a direct impact on your work load?

ignore post #23.:agree:
I have been saying his lack of work directly impacts mine this whole time. I will let it slide, you hipster. =]

Do you they do performance evals at your work? If so, document all the BS and that would be the appropriate time to bring it up.
Yes they do and it will be brought to my bosses attention.

I just want to have him not be here. Less sneakiness, lying, and at least I will know work will get done.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
California labor laws are pretty screwy(or they used to be).

I worked for a California based company(2000) and someone had to be written up three times before they could be fired so you best get on it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your boss needs to build a case to fire them. Employment laws are such that if you fire someone, YOU (the firm) pay a large portion of their unemployment. If you have a solid case, you can go to the state and they will no approve unemployment.
Also, they need solid ground to stand on, just in case he sues for discrimination.
This is normal, just take REALLY good notes.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Wait, so you're pissed his laziness causes some of his work load to be brought upon you, yet you're more than happy to have him get fired and take on all his work load?

Is there still a hammer to the head smiley?