Quantcast

Getting big and Riding

PeteNJ

Chimp
Jan 13, 2002
Rutgers NJ (New Brunswick)
Ok,
So I've been lifting for about 4 years now pretty seriously. 4 times a week at the gym and I also ride every other day of the week. It seems to me that with the riding I just don't seem to be able to gain any weight. I weigh in at about 153-155lbs 5'10" and I can max out on the bench at 240lbs. At one point.....and this was before I started riding I weighed in at 165lbs. Now, I am pretty lean...but I seem to have a small amount of excess flab around the lower abs. So this mean s Im not EXTREMELY lean.

Anyways, I dont get it. Is there a way for me to get bigger/stronger and get leaner without looking like a stick? Any tips on loosing the flab?

PS: I eat pretty decent.
Yesterday's Meals
Breakfast: 3 boiled eggs/ Slice of blueberry Pie/Yogurt
Lunch: Bagel with Ham/Bologna
Dinner:1lb Tbone Steak w/ Fries that were baked not fried.

Thanks for your help guys!

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by PeteNJ
Ok,
So I've been lifting for about 4 years now pretty seriously. 4 times a week at the gym and I also ride every other day of the week. It seems to me that with the riding I just don't seem to be able to gain any weight. I weigh in at about 153-155lbs 5'10" and I can max out on the bench at 240lbs. At one point.....and this was before I started riding I weighed in at 165lbs. Now, I am pretty lean...but I seem to have a small amount of excess flab around the lower abs. So this mean s Im not EXTREMELY lean.

Anyways, I dont get it. Is there a way for me to get bigger/stronger and get leaner without looking like a stick? Any tips on loosing the flab?

Yesterday's Meals

I actually think you would benefit greatly from:

#1 eating more: you are probably not getting enough calories in compared to all of the exercise you are doing so you may be burning lean muscle mass. See if you can get your metabolic rate tested at your gym. There is a device you breathe into for 10 minutes and it will tell you your metabolic rate. (check it out at http://www.healthetech.com/ ) When I got it done the tester was able to tell me how many calories a day I needed to eat based on my BMR (basal metabolic rate), my activity level, my work schedule and my goals. Pretty cool stuff!

#2 More Protein to feed those muscles

#3 Spread your eating out over smaller meals throughout the day, like 5-6 smaller meals all consisting of carbs/protein/fat.

Just my .02 !

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Pete, just to add to JOJO's comments, it looks to me like you are not getting enough protein if you're trying to add muscle. You want to get 1.5 to 2g protein per pound of body weight. You might want to consider adding more chicken and fish to your diet. Protein shakes also help.

Just to give you an idea, I am 180lbs and have been lifting weights for six years. When I get into a fitness groove, I generally eat about 250g protein a day. I'll have a couple of boneless chicken breasts, a can of tuna, a protein shake, and a protein bar over the course of a day. I'm actually planning on getting back on that diet in the next week or so (I've been slacking since I got the new job).

ATXjimATX

the artist formerly known as OldDickDynamite
Oct 4, 2001
Austin, TEXAS
... and it sucks, but you may wanna cut back pretty far on your riding for a bit. it's hard to build when you are doing to much cardio.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
To add to the protein comments (and I'm far from an expert) but I've read that it's best to get protein into your system within 30 minutes after your weight workout... helps the muscles repair and build.

Jojo.. anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by G-Cracker
To add to the protein comments (and I'm far from an expert) but I've read that it's best to get protein into your system within 30 minutes after your weight workout... helps the muscles repair and build.

sounds correct to me:D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by G-Cracker

I agree! Actually, I believe within 60 minutes after your workout. A shake with a high GI carb like dextrose helps the body absorb the protein even faster. :thumb:

dg806

Chimp
Apr 26, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by PeteNJ
Ok,

Yesterday's Meals

I think like everyone else has already said, you need way more protein than your getting now! And to gain lean muscle mass you need to cut all the high GI carbs out of your diet(Pie, yogurt,bagel, fries) and replace with fresh vegetables. Oatmeal and sweet potatoes are great! And like JoJo said, spread your meals out over 5 or 6 meals a day! This will kick your metabolism into a higher gear and help burn the fat you have! Strive to eat every 2 to 3 hours.

Originally posted by dg806

I think like everyone else has already said, you need way more protein than your getting now! And to gain lean muscle mass you need to cut all the high GI carbs out of your diet(Pie, yogurt,bagel, fries) .......
Actually, fries are lower on the GI scale than regular potatoes. Everything relating to proper diet and excercise seems like a catch-22. For example, to lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you eat - however, it is important to eat lots of calories for energy. Just as fries will keep you feeling fuller, longer than a regular white potato - however the fat content will kill ya! :)

Go ahead dg, show em a picture of your cannondale :)

azrael

Chimp
Jun 1, 2002
sydney.aust
correct me if i am wrong(most probably)but i read that the more muscle you have,the more enery you burn stationary.weight lifting increases the metabolism; cause muscles needs more energy.so maybe tone down the lifting?

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Originally posted by azrael
correct me if i am wrong(most probably)but i read that the more muscle you have,the more enery you burn stationary.weight lifting increases the metabolism; cause muscles needs more energy.so maybe tone down the lifting?
No, that's not wrong...building lean muscle means helps increase the metab. and therefore, yes, you use more energy even while at rest. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he needs to stop lifting. He needs to eat enough quality calories to supply the energy needed to those muscles. If he does that, the muscles will continue to increase in density and strength...eventually size. BUT, if he does not, the body begins taking fuel reserves from wherever it can to sustain the amount of energy he is requiring. If he doesn't eat enough, then the body needs to take from secondary reserves, muscle. I did this myself actually. I worked out all the time and did tons of cardio. But I'd only eat a couple Met-RX shakes and a couple cans of tuna a day...not nearly enough calories. I couldn't understand why I was getting smaller until a P.T. explained the damage I was doing to my body, simply because of my diet.

mr.mullet

Chimp
Jun 3, 2002
Rocklin, CA
In addition to your diet, try doing some situps/crunches/leglifts.

I have been doing about 300 a day with my busted up wrist. I am compensating for not being able to ride though.

Feb 3, 2002
mile high
i was in the same boat til about 6 mos ago. As long as you definately get 3 squares a day---throw in some protein shakes. Take one after you work out, and one before you go to bed. I bulked up like a mofo (about 15 lbs in 2 mos)

from what i'm told, to gain-maintain you need:

2 grams carbs per lb/bodyweight.
1 gram protein per lb/bodyweight.

TimothyL

Chimp
Jun 23, 2002
Houston,Texas
Pete-I am a bodybuilder, 6' 200lbs.I ride about 3 times a week no more than 2-3 hours at a time.If you want to keep muscle you got to watch how long you ride.If your burning 3,4,5hrs its too much.I had to quit jogging because with MTBing and jogging I was loosing everything I had worked for at the gym.I also live in Houston where it gets hot as F**K in the summer.Yeah you could eat more protein, whatever, but what normal person has time to monitor caloric intake versus caloric expenditure.makes me want to drink.I think the extra muscle(especially legs) give me an added power boost on those hills.The disadvantage of being big is some of the technical runs.Try squeezing between two trees when you are as wide as a house.Good luck man

scottgo

Chimp
Jun 10, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by mr.mullet
In addition to your diet, try doing some situps/crunches/leglifts.

I have been doing about 300 a day with my busted up wrist. I am compensating for not being able to ride though.
I just want to point out that situps will not do anything to remove fat from around the abs. They will strengthen the abs so that once he gets rid of the fat he'll have a nice 6-pack but the mobilization of triglycerides (which are what is actually burned) from adipose tissue (fat cells) is hormonally controled. This means that when your body needs to burn fat hormones in your blood stimulate the release of triglycerides from adipose cells all over your body, not just in the area that is working.

Scott