Quantcast

Getting Boots on Forks - UGGGGHHHH!!!

Old_Dude

Monkey
When I got my Fuel 90, it came with Manitou SX-R forks & the boots weren't attached. I've tried to get them on - there's no room around the connector piece going from fork to fork.

What's the secret to getting the boots to go down onto the forks? Once there, I think it'd be a good idea to use a thin nylon tie-wrap to secure them.

I'm thinking of just cutting them off & using a piece of tire with nylon tie-wrap to secure them - might look hoopty, but I don't care.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Try to put the boot on in a circular motion. You put the boot on at the back of the fork and you rotate. That's what I do with my SX-R and my X-Vert...and it works fine. If this doesn't work for you...maybe you don't have the right size of boot to fit on your fork.

No need for a tie-Wrap.

Shibby

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
cambridge, ma
stick a small flat bladed screwdriver between the boot and brake arch once you've got the boot attached the rest of the way around. just a wee push, work it around a bit, and your boot should be secure.

circular motion thing works too.

sometimes a dab of the manufacturer recommended fork grease spread evenly all around the inside of the bottom end of the boot will help it stick better.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
My boots came on my fork but I heard that some forks can be a real pain. If you can't get them on go yo your bike shop.

gtbike

Chimp
Nov 3, 2001
I live in Surprise, Arizona
I just took mine off. We don't get lots of mud here and the seals on Manny's are real tough. I find it easier to keepthe sliders clean w/out the boot.. If it's going to be a muddy ride, I will carry a rag and wipe the legs once in a while and if it's that bad out, you probably shouldn't ride the mud. I have seen a guy who takes some innertube, cuts it to a rectangle and zips it on the back side of the tube to protect from flingies from the tire.

Old_Dude

Monkey
. . . takes some innertube, cuts it . . .
I've seen somewhere, how whole sections of used tubes were cut & slid over the inner legs, attached with cable ties at the base - of course, the fork inner legs would have to be disassembled before they could be attached this way.

Mr. Zinn says the following:
. . . since te 2000 model year, this is less of a big deal (using fork boots), thanks to effective multiple sealing systems from manufacturers.
(pg. 262?)

I tried this & it worked:
. . . stick a small flat bladed screwdriver between the boot and brake arch once you've got the boot attached the rest of the way around. just a wee push, work it around a bit, and your boot should be secure.
This worked for me - I used a thin, long, flat head screwdriver & a little patience - also, I did this in direct sunlight so I could see easier. Thanks Shibby for this tip - worked for me.