Quantcast

Getting in shape again

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Injured ribs a couple weeks ago, starting to exercize again, after 2 weeks of nothing. RIBS SUCK. What do I need to do to get into tip top shape. I believe I was in fairly good shape prior to the rib incident. I'm 33 and weigh about 185 naked and about 19% BF last time I checked. I have a recumbant bike my wife and I bought? I have no idea about heart rate and what it should be at. It has like 6 training programs. I do the number 5 usually which is a progressive workout that lasts 1/2 hour and I maintain a heart rate of about 125 and 130. Someone told me that my heart rate target should be 170 at my age of 33. I was pedalling at 25 mph the whole time and couldn't get my heart rate above 130. I did about 10 miles in that 1/2 hour. My main question is this. I know time on the bike itself on the trail is better than anything, but is 1/2 hour enough per day to be in tip top shape. I need like a workout plan or something and have no time to go to the gym either. It's knuckles gym, or no gym. I usually do like 50 25lb curls per arm, 100 pushups, 1/2 hour on the recumbant, and 100 situps with the ab roller. I don't have a lot of time to ride the acual bike on the trial. I can handle much more than this, believe me, but find non-bike exercize extremely boring. Am I doing enough?

Knuckle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well... in the real world if you were pedaling at 25 mph for half an hour I can guarantee that your heart rate would easily max past 170.

Very few riders can maintain such speed so it looks like you are allready in tip-top shape...

or... you are on a stationary bike with no resistance. :blah:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I don't trust the monitors on the workout machines. I use a Polar one, not really that much money.

What are your goals for getting in shape?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
I just want to know how much exercize per day is enough. I know I do more than most schlumps. I just need a set regimen. One day off = 8 days off. I need a set regimen of stuff. Or is 1/2 hour on the bike enough? I just want to know I'm in the best physical shape I can possibly be in. There probably isn't any measure of that though. What if my goal was 24 hour racing. Then what would you say for a plan?

Knuckle

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don't know about the machine you are on but 25 virtual MPH isn't even close to 25MPH on an actual road, the wheel itself may be spinning at the rate... but it just doesn't translate. At your heartrate I doubt if that would be more than 12 to 14 on a real bike.

170 for your age seems about right, 125 or 130 isn't doing you much good - it's like a fast walk.

How does your workout feel while on the bike? Easy?