Quantcast

getting out of biking

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Recently I broke my back in a dj accident. Compression fracture in 2 vertebrae. I nose cased a small double about no more than knee high and like a 5 foot gap. I landed straight on the top of my head. Soon I will be healed and ready to ride. I also ride street, dh, and practice on slalom or 4x courses sometimes. When the topic of going to woodward this summer came up, my parents wouldn't let me go. they told me how I need to not bike like I do(or did before my injury) and I will keep braking bones and getting injuries until I can't ride at all anymore. I am now considering this and thinking I should stop riding as much as I do. At the dh races Ive been to or competed in, multiple people have been carried away in ambulences. this is just adding to my reluctance to keep participating in this sport. What do I do?

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
On one hand you should listen to your parents. Or on the other hand your parents are being over protective. Right now it sounds like you are going through the mental aspect of the injury. Your letting yourself see what can happen when things go horribly wrong and not accepting the fact that injuries will happen, it's part of the sport and that majority of the people that get hurt will be back to what they were doing before they crashed. As for going to woodward, I would not go if you are letting yourself think that something bad is going to happen. Nine times out of ten if you are thinking something bad's going to happen, something bad will happen.

My best advice is to take the time to get your confidence back on the bike, if that means to ride trails then ride the trails, go to a pump, pump the heck out of anything that can be pumped, etc. Just start back up by doing baby steps and soon you will hopefully find yourself to be as confident as you used to be before the crash.

jeff da grom

Monkey
Apr 20, 2007
Long Island
rough crash man... best of luck in your recovery.

if you want to ride, then ride. If you have moved on, then you moved on. But don't give up on it w/out at least getting on a bike and pedaling again. If you have been out for along time, and you don't catch yourself smiling, then maybe it's not for you.

Today (yesterday i guess) was my first day riding in 2 months... i tore a ligament in my hand and had surgery and was unable to do so previously. It was just a street ride, but i was so happy to be back on a bike again. When the doctors give you the ok to pedal around again... just try it. see what happens.

as far as getting hurt goes. I was being stupid... so i kinda deserve it. Body armor helps to prevent injuries. Ride smart and you'll be fine.

-jeff

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The decision to ride should really be up to you (I know your mother would hate me for that comment right now). Take it easy at first, gain some confidence and when you feel ready to do more, do more slowly and ride smart. Try other forms of riding too...every time you're on two wheels you're gaining skills! Heal up!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
go get a shovel. start digging ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the sand out of your va-j-j, by the time you're done doing that, you'll be legally old enough to move out of your parents house, not to mention strong enough to not get injured from having dug 37 metric tons of sand out of your own crotch.

seriously though. once you're healed, take it easy when you first get back on the bike. ride within your limits and know when to back down from something. get stronger, hone your skills. don't let your parents boss you around, but do take their warnings into account. just remember, you're riding for you, and no one else (if this isn't the case, you're not in the sport for the right reasons). if you have fun with it and enjoy life more as a result, i don't see any reasons to stop because of a single injury (despite severity). you just have to understand that there is a large inherent risk within the sport.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I've had 4 knee surgeries and I'm sick of being hurt, sick of spending 6 months at a time doing nothing but rehab. And I've gone through stretches where I didn't want to race DH anymore. It just didn't seem worth it.

So this spring I bought a rigid SS and have been riding more than ever. And I picked up new skills by making the easy stuff hard again, improving my endurance, picking really precise lines, etc.

And since I've been doing that, I went back out and have been consistently cleaning runs on a DH course where I used to wreck all the time. I used to need to run platforms and now riding it clipless is no big deal because I don't need to unclip. So I'm not riding smoking fast, but I'm learning to ride super clean and in control. And honestly, that's fun too. You really don't have to be pushing so hard you're wrecking your guts out to have fun riding. And there are lower risk ways of pushing your limits on a bike and they can be a lot of fun too.

No one jumps back in to their sport after a serious injury with 100% confidence. It's a process, so give it some time.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
go get a shovel. start digging ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL the sand out of your va-j-j, by the time you're done doing that, you'll be legally old enough to move out of your parents house, not to mention strong enough to not get injured from having dug 37 metric tons of sand out of your own crotch.
:rofl: That is some funny sh!t.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've had 4 knee surgeries and I'm sick of being hurt, sick of spending 6 months at a time doing nothing but rehab. And I've gone through stretches where I didn't want to race DH anymore. It just didn't seem worth it.

So this spring I bought a rigid SS and have been riding more than ever. And I picked up new skills by making the easy stuff hard again, improving my endurance, picking really precise lines, etc.

And since I've been doing that, I went back out and have been consistently cleaning runs on a DH course where I used to wreck all the time. I used to need to run platforms and now riding it clipless is no big deal because I don't need to unclip. So I'm not riding smoking fast, but I'm learning to ride super clean and in control. And honestly, that's fun too. You really don't have to be pushing so hard you're wrecking your guts out to have fun riding. And there are lower risk ways of pushing your limits on a bike and they can be a lot of fun too.
I had that problem with racing too. by the end of last season i was ready for it to be over. took the winter off, rode bmx in the local parks a LOT and had a blast doing that. this spring when i moved to RI i got back into XC. So by the time race season kicked up here on the EC i was itching to go again. Both xc and bmx have helped my dh a ton, but the string of rib injuries i've had has not. i'm about to move to the west coast, so i'm gonna take the first few months off from riding seriously while i'm there to heal up and settle in, then its right back at it. :D

edit: it is major league depressing to be leaving the east coast in the middle of race season.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Old guy chiming in:

I've never been an athlete anywhere near as competitive as you seem to be, but here are my two cents:

As you get older, you become more of a scaredy cat. All I did was blow a knee, and that was enough for me to wuss out of big jumps on my snowboard, for good. In the name of self preservation. Being out of action and all gimped out for months is no fun. No good for the body, no good for the work situation either.

I got another friend who has blown out both of her knees skiing. Doctors told her to take it easy. She kept on abusing them (tree planting, pretty major skiing, hiking guide, etc...) Now she can barely walk normally and forget running. This is a person who completely depended on her body for fun, her livelihood and now she's in a bit of a bind.

Something to bear in mind. (You can have that awesome rhyme for free)

And for chrissakes, you broke your back. What more warning do you need? Consider yourself lucky, crack a beer, (if you're over 13) and be a knowing verteran of serious injury. Of course keep riding, but be realistic. Injuries like this tend to age a guy...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had my 3rd knee surgery in December. Doc said I won't have a 4th because there is nothing left to take out. I spent 3 months recovering, then 2 weeks before the first race this year, I messed up my lower back.

I am 35 and a lot more prone to injury and it takes twice as long to heal. I decided I am not racing this year, but I will never give up riding. I don't care if I end up riding a beach cruiser, I will still be doing SOMETHING.

I'm too fat to stop now. I can't see myself using a rag on a stick to hit the "hard to reach" areas. You will heal and ride if you like. But you don't have to hit North Shore Van to ride.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Yo man im in the same situation... same kinda jump, same kinda fall, broke the C6 in my neck. I went through the same thing, my dad told me to knock it off with the DH crap, so did my future wife... i see their point of view... I would keep your bikes until you are fully recovered, im glad i didnt sell my DH bike. Also when i do start riding again in the dirt (september) im not going to take unnecessary risks. for example where is the glory in riding a skinny only a few inches wide to a 15 foot dropper? it is fun for some people but is it worth the risk when you have been injured like that? Im not saying to never do the stuff, just get back to 100% confidence, and doubts could leave you hurt again. good luck man!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Old guy chiming in:

I've never been an athlete anywhere near as competitive as you seem to be, but here are my two cents:

As you get older, you become more of a scaredy cat. All I did was blow a knee, and that was enough for me to wuss out of big jumps on my snowboard, for good. In the name of self preservation. Being out of action and all gimped out for months is no fun. No good for the body, no good for the work situation either.

I got another friend who has blown out both of her knees skiing. Doctors told her to take it easy. She kept on abusing them (tree planting, pretty major skiing, hiking guide, etc...) Now she can barely walk normally and forget running. This is a person who completely depended on her body for fun, her livelihood and now she's in a bit of a bind.

Something to bear in mind. (You can have that awesome rhyme for free)

And for chrissakes, you broke your back. What more warning do you need? Consider yourself lucky, crack a beer, (if you're over 13) and be a knowing verteran of serious injury. Of course keep riding, but be realistic. Injuries like this tend to age a guy...
Pussy....go big or go home.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Part of the thrill of riding is the inherent danger - knowing that it only takes one small miscalculation or stupid move to really jack yourself. Getting hurt that bad on a relatively small jump is definitely the hard way to learn, and I hope you heal up quickly and completely.

Not knowing you or how old you are, it's hard to say what to do. I grew up with the sport so it's difficult for me to know what it's like to be just starting out now and seeing the riding at the current level. I imagine you want to progress really fast, so maybe you need to pull it back a notch. But maybe not - crap happens to everyone. I do know that there is a tremendous variety of riding out there, and that bikes will bring you a lifetime of rewards if you can stay healthy and motivated enough to keep riding one way or another.

max123

Monkey
Oct 18, 2006
Part of the thrill of riding is the inherent danger - knowing that it only takes one small miscalculation or stupid move to really jack yourself. Getting hurt that bad on a relatively small jump is definitely the hard way to learn, and I hope you heal up quickly and completely.

Not knowing you or how old you are, it's hard to say what to do. I grew up with the sport so it's difficult for me to know what it's like to be just starting out now and seeing the riding at the current level. I imagine you want to progress really fast, so maybe you need to pull it back a notch. But maybe not - crap happens to everyone. I do know that there is a tremendous variety of riding out there, and that bikes will bring you a lifetime of rewards if you can stay healthy and motivated enough to keep riding one way or another.
Im def not just starting out, I have done 10 times bigger jumps than the one I injured myself on. I've got a ton of riding experience under my belt, and part of my dilemna is the fact that I fell on such a small easy jump. It makes me see that even on the tiny stuff I totally disregaurd I can get really hurt on.

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
Im def not just starting out, I have done 10 times bigger jumps than the one I injured myself on. I've got a ton of riding experience under my belt, and part of my dilemna is the fact that I fell on such a small easy jump. It makes me see that even on the tiny stuff I totally disregaurd I can get really hurt on.
It was a freak accident... and a lot of times on the smaller stuff people tend to relax and not be on their "A" game... don't worry man you will be riding again

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Just last night I had a "moment" with respect to injuries and biking. I've seen and had some really unpleasant crashes, helped friends with broken backs and concussions etc. It ****s with my confidence of course, but I always kept riding and trying to progress.

So last night I was in my hallway turning off the lights before bed (stone sober btw) and my foot slipped off the top step of the staircase and I felt myself start to fall. I grabbed out real quick and caught the edge of the door, arresting what would have been a broken arm or worse from the swan dive off the top step. I had that familiar blast of adrenaline I typically associate with riding or stacking hard as I jumped back up to the landing, and I thought to myself, That could have been really serious. I almost messed myself up in an emergency-room-needing kind of way just walking around my ****ing house, and it was nothing but my focus and reflexes and adrenaline that saved me.

Thinking about the incident, I've decided that it's not riding thats dangerous, or at least no more dangerous than "normal" life. Its riding with your head up your ass thats dangerous. Try not to do that and you'll be fine.