Quantcast

Getting rid of a Car Payment.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Forgive me if this is long winded...

I have a few life changing events on the horizon, I proposed to my GF this last Xmas, we are getting married in fall of 2015, and we are about a year away from purchasing our first house. We are not expecting and help financially for either the down payment or the weddings so we have started saving for both. I'm also working on our Debt to income ratios, my fiance's only debt is student loans, while I have student loans, a Car Payment and CC bills. Nothing can really be done about the S.loans, and the CC debt should be gone within a year but the car loan is the one that really pisses me off.

I bought my 2008 ridgeline 3 years ago with 60k miles a week after I took a new job with a great salary. I was a site supervisor for a construction company and the job required a truck so I traded in my car which had payments of 280 a month for the truck which have 420 a month payments. At the time I was stupid and didn't care about the increase in payments because I was making 10k more a year. The truck has been fantastic and was exactly what I needed when I was at that job, but I'm now at a new construction job that doesn't require the day to day use of a truck. One of my co-workers with the same job title drives a 96 Jeep with 300k miles, and another has a chevy pickup with 280k miles and in a weird way I'm envious. Lately I've been questioning if I'm really getting much out of the 420 a month payment, especially considering I'm at 130k miles and I'm bound to start having bigger maintenance bills. At this point I think I'd rather have the occasional maintenance issues on a car I don't have a payment on.

So I owe 13k on the Ridgeline and it's worth about 11ish. I obviously have to deal with the negative equity one way or another, but my loan is with the local credit union and they are very easy to work with. I've been considering an early 90's Land Cruiser as a possibly vehicle. They have pretty good reliability record, are fairly easy to find and can be found for 2-5k. I've also been looking at Cherokee's, but the Land Cruiser has a lot more cargo room.

TLDR: Anyone get rid of a car payment and buy an older vehicle to avoid payments?

Anyone done something similar? Will I end up regretting an older vehicle? Should I stop spending money on bikes? :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
a early 90's land cruiser will never get better than 12-18 miles per gallon.

period.

and my younger brother would tell me i'm being generous with those estimates....he's on his second.

if you don't need a truck....don't buy one.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
a early 90's land cruiser will never get better than 12-18 miles per gallon.

period.

and my younger brother would tell me i'm being generous with those estimates....he's on his second.

if you don't need a truck....don't buy one.
I don't use a truck day to day like I used to but I still drive on jobsites a few times a month that require 4x4 and I occasionally have to delivery materials which requires cargo room.

As for MPG's, I currently get about 18-20 in the ridgeline and my company reimburses me for gas so it's not that big a concern.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
And Land Cruisers are expensive to fix. Most of there parts have to bought straight from Toyota. Awesome rigs but can nickel and dime you when they are 20 years old. I do miss my '94 and my '82.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I highly doubt selling that car and buying an older car will be a good business. Rather try to find better financing for you car. It sound like you are paying really high interest rates.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Refinance to lower rates. In almost no circumstance does buying a new car sense if you are just trying to get out from under a payment. Buying an older car only sets you up for higher repair bills sooner. You have a Honda, it will last forever. Get it refinanced and call it a day. If you can't buck up for a year, pay off your CC's, and start using that money for pay off the truck.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if you get paid for gas....buy land cruiser and drive over sh!t....

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Just gas is reimbursed ? Or mileage? (Wear and tear, insurance included)

Cars are great, but such a waste of money. It pains me to say it, but I think I've plateaued and probably started my decline in nice-car ness.

Nice bikes are more fun. And shelter.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I highly doubt selling that car and buying an older car will be a good business. Rather try to find better financing for you car. It sound like you are paying really high interest rates.
It's 5.9 which was almost as good as you could get from the Credit union for a used vehicle. I have 730+ credit score so I'm sure I could refi and get the monthly payment down but I'd have to extend the length out. The idea of making payments on a car with 220k miles makes me cringe.

Just gas is reimbursed ? Or mileage? (Wear and tear, insurance included)
I get reimbursed at the federal rate so it's more per mile than it actually costs me. So I get ~25-30 extra cents per mile. I usually get about a 1000 mileage check every month but gas only runs me 6-700 per month.

Part of this all started because I ran the #s for a new house and we can afford over 40k more with the debt of the truck off my balance sheet. I also have a friend that had a nearly new F150 that was tired of his payments, sold it and bought a 94 cherokee with 135k and couldn't be happier. He's put some money into the car, but he said he'd rather spend 2-300 every couple of months than 500 every month.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are diesel swaps for the land cruiser. Then you would have to get about 300mpg to make it worthwhile.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Kind of a catch 22. What about something like a 4Runner? The older ones are nice and super reliable. Only downside is they don't get very good mileage. My brother had one and ended up buying a Tundra like mine. Gets the same mileage. You have options, because you could cut your payment in half by re-fi. Granted, you will extend your loan, but you definitely won't eat 2k in interest which it sounds like you are going to eat if you sell your truck. I just paid off my Tundra, which is awesome. Very nice not having a car payment, especially since the wife and I are looking to upgrade houses here shortly, so sort of in the same boat. I've been trying my hardest to drop every payment possible.

The plus side of no car payment is that as long as you can budget for maintenance, it's not going to negatively impact your loan approval. The $420 a month is going to hurt.

My Tundra is an 04, has 154K on it and is bulletproof. The only major thing I have done is the timing belt/water pump. Other than that, I put gas in and change the oil. I think if you buy the right used car, you won't have any issues. But, you also have a Honda now...

Hell, we got lucky and are only paying $500/month for daycare. Our friends just signed up at a place for $900...

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
if could have found a clean body for the new VR6 engine i had i'd still be driving a B3 passat wagon....

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
There are diesel swaps for the land cruiser. Then you would have to get about 300mpg to make it worthwhile.
It's crossed my mind. There was a guy on a land cruiser forum that broke down the costs of a diesel swap and showed that it pays for itself in 3.5 years. I spent 2 weeks in Central America in December, everything was diesel, tacomas, land cruisers, land rovers, Monteros, everything. Wish we had more diesels here...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Just what makes a diesel more attractive anyway? Power and mileage? I drive a Subaru and I like it...and oh yeah, payment free since '08...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm with the refinance crowd. Land Cruiser mileage is stupid if you're out to lower total cost of ownership.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
$900 isuzu trooper.

Im soooo ****ing glad I dont have kids. Im in a simialr boat (by choice) was thinking of selling the A6 and buying a truck as it'll better align with my hobbies. I dont care so much about the payment, i'll spend it on something anyhow.

But yesterday I decided. buy $1000 Trooper. Drive into dirt. keep audi. be happy.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Just what makes a diesel more attractive anyway? Power and mileage? I drive a Subaru and I like it...and oh yeah, payment free since '08...
Torque is one reason. But reliability and MPG's are the biggest reasons. On a Land Cruiser Forum a couple of guys with diesel swaps were getting 22-24mpgs. And 300k on a diesel motor is like 100k on a gas motor.

I'm with the refinance crowd. Land Cruiser mileage is stupid if you're out to lower total cost of ownership.
Well there is a new part of the equation now. My Fiance has been considering giving her car to her younger brother and getting something more reliable. Since she walks to work she really only needs the car one or two days a week and occasionally when she drives home to visit family. So we are now thinking about trading in my Ridgeline to get a Honda Fit. Then I can drive that to my office and for errands, which will save hundreds a month in gas and I already looked, there are a couple used Fits in the area with less than 80k miles for around $6-7k. We will finance that together which will result in a 100-200 a month payment which we'll split, and it will help build her credit, which we needed to do anyway.

Then I'll look for a beater truck/SUV for 4-5k that won't be a daily driver, I'll just use it for the days I drive to job sites and anytime I need 4wd or more storage space and the occasional day she needs the Fit.

Based on my average mileage the last few months I will save 2-300 dollars a month driving the Fit just 3 days a week to the office.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You can rent a lot of car for 4-5k too.

Maybe also get used to not getting new bikes all of the time. I see there is a new Kona in the family in general don't get caught up in the need for new stuff and save your money. I am sure you can ride the Kona with out a new DB shock and still have fun. I also see you mention CC debt that is really bad too of course.

And yes, I follow my own advice. Bought the car cas, no debt, money in the bank and healthy equity in our apartment and I have gone through a long time where I had to support wife and two kids. Stoney has a lot of good point about this too.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
You can rent a lot of car for 4-5k too.

Maybe also get used to not getting new bikes all of the time. I see there is a new Kona in the family in general don't get caught up in the need for new stuff and save your money. I am sure you can ride the Kona with out a new DB shock and still have fun. I also see you mention CC debt that is really bad too of course.

And yes, I follow my own advice. Bought the car cas, no debt, money in the bank and healthy equity in our apartment and I have gone through a long time where I had to support wife and two kids. Stoney has a lot of good point about this too.
Relatively speaking my spending on Bikes is down considerably. I got rid of my downhill bike, I'm not going to races, and I can usually justify upgrading bikes and parts by selling my used parts. But yes I could certainly spend even less on bikes. Cycling is my only hobby and pretty much the only thing I spend discretionary money on, I haven't purchased new clothes in years, I don't have cable, don't have kids, I even built most of the furniture in my house to save money. Maybe I'll put the CCDB on hold...

I've also been thinking that I could potentially put the truck/SUV purchase on hold for a month or two and use the extra income from the smaller payments to pay off a credit card.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well you do seem to be in quite the conundrum. Bottom line, you owe more than it is worth, so anything you do will cost you more than what you have now. So you actually have a few options here.

1, refi, lower payment, end up stretching the payment out longer and overall paying more
2, stick with it just as you are, pay the truck off
3, my personal favorite, re evaluate how much you are paying on the truck compared to what you are stashing in savings. Why not slow down on the saving, and absolutely attack the car payment? IE Why not bump up what you are paying to 600 or better and get it paid of early, eliminating the payment all together, and reducing the overall cost as well?

Unless you can get a hold of a budget vehicle for cheap and have someone else willing to take over what you are already paying, chances are your not really going to be able to lower the payment, specially with the miles you have on it.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friends Mom traded her Fit for a Toyota Matrix. She loved the Fit. We all love the Matrix. It has plenty of room. Enough power to not be scary. And it is AWD. Being a Honda Fan I wasn't sure about the Matrix. On occasion when I am either a passenger or driver I don't mind it. The Fit is way under powered and too small....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've also been thinking that I could potentially put the truck/SUV purchase on hold for a month or two and use the extra income from the smaller payments to pay off a credit card.
Pay off your highest rate debt first, presumably credit card. Then pay down your car note since that's a pretty high rate. Buying and selling probably won't work in your favor, what with sales tax, registration, etc.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Also refinance you can try to get a loan where you are allowed to pay off early. If you have good credit there should be options. Maybe even roll in the loan and CC debt into one and do an overall refinance and shop around.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I own:

1997 FZJ80 - 205k miles
2000 UZJ100 - 214k miles
2000 F250 - 287k miles
2004 Toyota Matrix - 162k miles

and don't owe a penny on a single one. Not having a car payment is freaken incredible. I bought my F250 new and will probably never get rid of it. I'm pretty emotionally attached to it and its one of the last great diesels. It can serve my truck needs for a long time to come. In fact right now its full of downed trees to haul off. I daily drive the Matrix (50 daily miles) and my wife daily drives the 100. Currently she is a stay at home mom and maybe drives 10 miles a day. My 80 is a toy plain and simple.

The concept that Land Cruiser's are expensive to maintain is a myth. While the Toyota OEM part is more expensive than say a part from Auto Zone, keep in mind that the original part was probably 20 years old and potentially had 300k miles on it. Spread that replacement cost out over the next 10 years and its a low cost of ownership in my mind. Furthermore almost everything on Land Cruisers are rebuildable, not replaceable, as most vehicles are. The OEM air filter from Toyota is washable and just today I looked up rebuild kits for brake calipers and the CVs on the 100. Both were under $40 from Toyota.

Ditch that Ridgeline, find a nice Land Cruiser for under $10k and maybe think about replacing it in 10-15 years.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Well I was about to concede and just keep the truck. Now Profro has thrown me for a loop, and having ridden trails that he has built, he might be the smartest one in the conversation :D

i lean towards keeping the ridgeline, attempt to refinance, and aggressively pay off CC debt. Highest interest rate debt should always be paid off first (IMHO).

a lesser ideal 2nd option is maybe selling the Ridgeline privately. Best case scenario is breaking even, but likely you'll hafta eat a grand or two. I'd go this route only if the mere thought of making car payments is really grating. i don't know that much about land cruisers...but i would think finding a clean (and the model year you want for cheap) one locally in the DMV area is going to be pretty difficult. but then again, it sounds like you're pretty mechanically inclined and would feel comfortable wrenching on one?

i dunno, you have a truck that is (gonna) be pretty darn reliable. you obviously know it's history. whilst crunching pure numbers you may arrive at the conclusion that a (reliable) beater may be more economical. bear in mind there are a whole lotta unknowns, and undoubtedly some of them will cost you. it's a gamble in my opinion. one that i wouldn't take if you are already eyeing wedding, house, kiddies? costs.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2009
Personally I'd rather keep a car payment for a reliable car before I traded it, lost money on the trade, and then got a car that wasn't as nice/reliable/a money pit. I'd focus more on paying of credit card debt and in the mean time maybe refinancing the car. Once the credit cards are paid off take that and aggressively start overpaying the auto loan until you have none. Then pay yourself the money you were paying for the payment and buy your next car in cash.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Nothing. They cost more to put fuel in, they cost more to maintain, they are more difficult to find good mechanics for (unless you can do your own work)......the torque however is pretty damned awesome.

As for the original topic, refi your truck or start putting that $4-300/month you are getting for your mileage after paying for your gas on your loan. With the amount of miles it sounds like you are driving that truck is only going to get more and more upside down the longer you keep it.

Chimp
Mar 22, 2011
I would think that you could get a much lower rate than 5.9% with your credit score. I recently bought 2 used cars at around 2.8%, but that may vary by state and region.

Vehicles are a money pit, so it's always best to research the most reliable rides to cut your losses and hopefully get something in return when it comes time to sell or trade in. I'm a Consumer Report dweeb and have had good luck over the years relying on their reviews.